Author Topic: 29 Oct 2008: 1979  (Read 5819 times)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 29 Oct 2008: 1979
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 10:44:33 AM »
Disco lives forever on 10at10.  I was thinking earlier that "Bad Girls" really seemed odd in this set, but now it's starting to fit in.  A real transitional time.  It's too bad more people aren't around, 'cause this is a real interesting set.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 10:45:41 AM »
BOS5 Chic, "My Forbidden Lover", which deserved to be a bigger hit.

You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 10:48:21 AM »
Disco lives forever on 10at10.  I was thinking earlier that "Bad Girls" really seemed odd in this set, but now it's starting to fit in.  A real transitional time.  It's too bad more people aren't around, 'cause this is a real interesting set.

I'll never forget the day that Dave Herman, the morning guy on NYC prog-FM'er WNEW-FM, played "Hot Stuff" -- he told his audience it was "interesting -- the supposed long-awaited 'rock-disco fusion'". And he was DELUGED with angry phone calls from the "disco sucks" crowd.

Are "Lindsay & Heather" the new Jose?

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 10:50:13 AM »

I'll never forget the day that Dave Herman, the morning guy on NYC prog-FM'er WNEW-FM, played "Hot Stuff" -- he told his audience it was "interesting -- the supposed long-awaited 'rock-disco fusion'". And he was DELUGED with angry phone calls from the "disco sucks" crowd.

Whoa.  Can't really see how they would be. ;) Are you the "person who appreciates Chic as much as Dave does"?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 10:59:23 AM »

Whoa.  Can't really see how they would be. ;) Are you the "person who appreciates Chic as much as Dave does"?

Ha! No, I didn't send him a vote today.  But this is the second time in a week that we've gotten a shout-out to Lindsay & Heather, whoever they are.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 11:01:37 AM »
You guys haven't changed clocks yet, eh? :) I missed the set again.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 11:09:32 AM »
Hey, good point.  Must be coming this weekend, but it's usually before Halloween, eh?  Or maybe I'm just reaaaaally confoooooosed.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 11:12:31 AM »
Hey, good point.  Must be coming this weekend, but it's usually before Halloween, eh?  Or maybe I'm just reaaaaally confoooooosed.

It's this weekend -- but it used to be the weekend before Halloween. It was extended, beginning last year.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 11:14:38 AM »

I got online at 10:30, but my browser automatically dials up KFOG's stream at 9:55 AM (via an applescript), and since my inline player (Flip4Mac plugin for apple QT) will buffer the stream, I can start listening anytime.  So when you guys were hearing Heart, I just started hearing the TOTHK. 

lotsa BOS votes for me: Roxy Music, chic sounds great, too!

eta: and the Kinks and Elvis Costello's great cover of a great song get more BOS votes!   
It's a voting party!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 11:18:22 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 11:50:10 AM »
I woulda voted for Chic for sure, so maybe I'm the guy who loves Chic as much as Dave.  I had this vinyl back in the day.  Danced to Chic a lot in my summer as an exchange student that year.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 01:04:23 PM »

Ha! No, I didn't send him a vote today.  But this is the second time in a week that we've gotten a shout-out to Lindsay & Heather, whoever they are.

They're support staff there at the station. Big pals of Dave's if this blog is to be believed:

http://www.kfog.com/shows/airstaff/dave_morey_blog.asp#behind
Let's get right to it.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2008, 11:11:49 AM »
10/29/08 – Midweek Wednesday!  Big Fun in…1979!!!

1.  Elvis Costello – (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding?
2.  Kinks – Catch Me Now I’m Falling
3.  Dave Edmunds – Crawling From the Wreckage
4.  Dire Straits – Sultans of Swing
5.  Donna Summer – Bad Girls (BEST OF SET!!)
6.  Tubes – Prime Time
7.  Doobies – Minute By Minute
8.  Roxy Music – Aint That So
9.  Heart – Dog & Butterfly
10. Chic – My Forbidden Lover

BONUS TRACK:  Tim Curry – I Do the Rock
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »

BONUS TRACK:  Tim Curry – I Do the Rock

Damn! I usually stay tuned for the Bonus in 1979 sets because that's Annalisa's fave BT -- she plays it several times a year. Sorry I missed it.