Author Topic: Rupert Holmes on KFOG!  (Read 6615 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Rupert Holmes on KFOG!
« on: March 25, 2005, 07:37:05 AM »
plugging his new book.  Dave is star-struck: "The guy who wrote 'Timothy'!" LOL!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Rupert Holmes on KFOG!
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 07:41:41 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
plugging his new book.  Dave is star-struck: "The guy who wrote 'Timothy'!" LOL!

I hope Dave asked him about his first chart single, the Street People's "Jennifer Tompkins."  It's one of the worst songs ever written or recorded.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 07:50:32 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

I hope Dave asked him about his first chart single, the Street People's "Jennifer Tompkins."  It's one of the worst songs ever written or recorded.

no mention but Dave's playing "Timothy" ("this is a GREAT record", sayeth Dave) and Rupert's story about how he wrote it was very funny. He's a very smart witty guy, and his pre-"Pina Colada" ouvre is quite wonderful, IMHO, especially Widescreen.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 10:13:26 AM »

no mention but Dave's playing "Timothy" ("this is a GREAT record", sayeth Dave) and Rupert's story about how he wrote it was very funny. He's a very smart witty guy, and his pre-"Pina Colada" ouvre is quite wonderful, IMHO, especially Widescreen.

I only caught the last little bit of Rupert, can you give us the abridged version of how he wrote that song?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2005, 10:54:46 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

I only caught the last little bit of Rupert, can you give us the abridged version of how he wrote that song?

Rupert knew the Buoys manager, they had just signed a one-single deal (!) with Sceptre. He wanted something sure-fire to get them noticed; Rupert said "record a song that gets banned -- that'll get 'em noticed". So Rupert was in the studio trying to come up with something, and there was a TV showing the Galloping Gourmet. And -- dammit, I'm blanking on where this next part comes in -- but Rupert heard? read? something about meat & blood & flesh & bone and looked up at the Galloping Gourmet and thought, "that sounds like a recipe!" and made the leap to cannibalism.

He also said the original version of "Escape" started out "if you like Humphrey Bogart..." , not "...Pina Coladas"