Author Topic: 19 June 2007--it's 1980  (Read 4918 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2007, 10:37:55 AM »
BOS to JLSO, but I'm docking Dave a point for omitting Yoko's wishing bell at the start of the track.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2007, 10:38:05 AM »
Nice to see that dave keeps trying to come up with creative ways to present the Lennon thing.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2007, 10:42:52 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
BOS to JLSO, but I'm docking Dave a point for omitting Yoko's wishing bell at the start of the track.

I guess he thought the abrupt cut from Koppell-in-mid-sentence to Lennon's vocal was more visceral.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2007, 05:07:06 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
"Don't talk to strangers, don't axe me why..."

I swear I just heard him sing it that way.

YES! totally!  It's a Noo Yawk thing.

Speaking of which, when are you outta here for the Big Sweaty Apple? (It is June, after all.) Tomorrow? Thursday?

Thursday morning -- 6am flight, arrive in NYC around 5 EDT.  Been checking weather.com daily, looks like pleasantly warm and not too humid for the most part.  As long as the 2 ballgames aren't rained upon.

Have a great trip Mike!  

I myself just returned from vacay -- just another fishing trip, but big fun -- and I'm looking forward to the next...
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 08:37:49 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Speaking of which, when are you outta here for the Big Sweaty Apple? (It is June, after all.) Tomorrow? Thursday?

Thursday morning -- 6am flight, arrive in NYC around 5 EDT.  Been checking weather.com daily, looks like pleasantly warm and not too humid for the most part.  As long as the 2 ballgames aren't rained upon.

Have a great trip Mike!  

I myself just returned from vacay -- just another fishing trip, but big fun -- and I'm looking forward to the next...

Thanks, bub!  In addition to the baseball, Gaz & I may get to see Southside Johnny on Sat nite at BB King's niteclub. Quite the lineup there this week, including: a Summer of Love show with Jefferson Starship/Big Brother/Quicksilver; the English Beat; and -- OMG! -- the Strawbs!

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 11:01:02 PM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Have a great trip Mike!  

Thanks, bub!  In addition to the baseball, Gaz & I may get to see Southside Johnny on Sat nite at BB King's niteclub. Quite the lineup there this week, including: a Summer of Love show with Jefferson Starship/Big Brother/Quicksilver; the English Beat; and -- OMG! -- the Strawbs!

Have a great trip. I'll get a taste of NY on Sunday. Gonna check out the Yanks. Giants MUST win eventually. They're having quite a nasty losing streak.
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2007, 07:32:25 AM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
I'll get a taste of NY on Sunday. Gonna check out the Yanks. Giants MUST win eventually. They're having quite a nasty losing streak.

At least I'll get to see the Giants on TV since they're playing those nasty Yanks.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2007, 09:22:52 AM »

Have a great trip. I'll get a taste of NY on Sunday. Gonna check out the Yanks. Giants MUST win eventually. They're having quite a nasty losing streak.

I keep hoping too, but it's going to be tough to turn it around against the Yanks. A month ago maybe, but they seem to have turned things around a bit, in the way the Giants haven't. Not writing the season off yet (far too early for that), but they need a big shock to the system.

Too bad Aurilia just went on the DL, I'm sure he'd have enjoyed playing his hometown nemeses.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2007, 09:32:50 AM »

I keep hoping too, but it's going to be tough to turn it around against the Yanks. A month ago maybe, but they seem to have turned things around a bit, in the way the Giants haven't. Not writing the season off yet (far too early for that), but they need a big shock to the system.

Too bad Aurilia just went on the DL, I'm sure he'd have enjoyed playing his hometown nemeses.

Rich gets major points for the best at-bat music choices I know of: A3's Sopranos theme and the Beasties' "No Sleep 'til Brooklyn".  (Gaz will be disappointed to hear that Ryan Klesko's is the theme from Dukes of Hazzard)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
19 June 2007--it's 1980
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 01:11:20 PM »
06/19/2007 - Tuesday. Visiting...1980!!!

1.  Bruce Springsteen - Out in the Street  
2.  Rolling Stones - Emotional Rescue  
3.  Davd Bowie - Fashion  
4.  Billy Joel - Don't Ask Me Why  
5.  Genesis - Misunderstanding  
6.  Brothers Johnson - Stomp  
7.  Squeeze - Pulling Mussels (From the Shell)  
8.  Dire Straits - Solid Rock (BEST OF SET!!)  
9.  Diana Ross - I'm Comin' Out  
10.  John & Yoko - Starting Over  

BONUS TRACK:  English Beat - Mirror in the Bathroom
Let's get right to it.