Author Topic: The Drive, 5/8/07: 1970!  (Read 1871 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Drive, 5/8/07: 1970!
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:58:52 AM »
Woo Hoo! and Holy Moses!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 08:07:20 AM »
BOS Vanity Fare's "Hitchin' a Ride" -- wish somebody would unearth their other hit, "Early in the Morning", for a '69 set.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2007, 08:13:49 AM »
only you know and Dave Mason knows.  Proxy of shray.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 08:24:58 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Later covered by John Lennon as "Only Ono and I Know."

And later covered by Sen. Ted Stevens as "Only Juneau and I Know."

(sigh)

Speaking of bad, bad puns, the Voice this week ran a piece on the vast influence of Jean Genet and Jean Cocteau on gay cinema.  I suggested the headline "Forever In Deux Jeans."  She didn't bite.  Damn, I may never have the chance to use that one again.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
BOS to "Peace Frog," and with that, I'd better head to work.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 08:27:30 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Later covered by John Lennon as "Only Ono and I Know."

And later covered by Sen. Ted Stevens as "Only Juneau and I Know."

(sigh)

Speaking of bad, bad puns, the Voice this week ran a piece on the vast influence of Jean Genet and Jean Cocteau on gay cinema.  I suggested the headline "Forever In Deux Jeans."  She didn't bite.  Damn, I may never have the chance to use that one again.

I just found out recently that Bowie's "Jean Genie" was a word-play on "Jean Genet" (even tho' the song's about Iggy). I can imagine Genet "pulling the waiters"... but Iggy?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2007, 08:32:03 AM »
it's the fuzzy wuzzy love-n-touch explosion!  VHM Guess Who, but that Partridge Fam clip was crying out to be followed by "I Think I Love You"

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2007, 02:19:27 PM »
We starve, look at one another short of breath... walking proudly in our winter coats... wearing smells from laboratories, facing a dying nation of moving paper fantasy.

Love your sig.  I inadvertently bought the British cast version of the Hair soundtrack, and it has a few alterations, the most galling of which is the omission of that (Flesh Failures?) precursor to "Let the Sunshine In."

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
We starve, look at one another short of breath... walking proudly in our winter coats... wearing smells from laboratories, facing a dying nation of moving paper fantasy.

Love your sig.  I inadvertently bought the British cast version of the Hair soundtrack, and it has a few alterations, the most galling of which is the omission of that (Flesh Failures?) precursor to "Let the Sunshine In."

For some reason that song popped into my head yesterday. I've no idea why; usually songs I've heard recently (within the last 4 or 5 days, say) will suddenly appear in my brain, but "FF" I hadn't heard in ages.  It's still not clear after all these decades whether the last line is "supreme visions of lonely tunes" or "lonelytude".  I prefer the latter, just 'cause it sounds like a made-up word.