Author Topic: 17 Jan 2007: it's 1978  (Read 4865 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
17 Jan 2007: it's 1978
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2007, 12:49:35 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
1.  Billy Joel - Movin' Out (Anthony's Song)  
2.  Rolling Stones - When the Whip Comes Down  
3.  Exile - Kiss You All Over  
4.  Eric Clapton - Promises  
5.  Al Stewart - Time Passages  
6.  Jacksons - Blame it on the Boogie  (Spot-the-vinyl)
7.  Olivia Newton John & John Travolta - You're the One that I Want  
8.  Steely Dan - FM (No Static at All)  
9.  Todd Rundgren - Onomatopoeia (BEST OF SET!!)  
10.  Samantha Sang - Emotion (Spot-the-vinyl)  

BONUS TRACK:  Who - Sister Disco

Not too bad a set for '78--no obvious katrinas (the Steely Dan is the closest, IMO, or maybe the Stones?) At any rate, I'm a little sorry I missed it but not so bummed as I would have been had it been '75 or earlier.

Will try for the replay tonite, but our rescheduled holiday party is also tonight, so it'll depend on how early I decide to bail on that.

The Stones tune would ge tmy BOS vote & it is not a Katrina, but a couple of others on that album are.

Greetings from the chilly windy city, I'm in Chicago rest of the week & China all the next two weeks.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2007, 01:15:52 PM »
Not too bad a set for '78--no obvious katrinas (the Steely Dan is the closest, IMO, or maybe the Stones?)

I'd call the Clapton the closest to a K, with the Dan 2nd -- but a nice number of semi-rarities (Dave's obviously rediscovered that Al Stewart LP; we got "Song on the Radio" recently, didn't we?) mixed in with the Morey faves.  Unless we hit the '60s on Fri, this could end up my Set o'the Week.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2007, 04:43:16 PM »
Not too bad a set for '78--no obvious katrinas (the Steely Dan is the closest, IMO, or maybe the Stones?)

I'd call the Clapton the closest to a K, with the Dan 2nd -- but a nice number of semi-rarities (Dave's obviously rediscovered that Al Stewart LP; we got "Song on the Radio" recently, didn't we?) mixed in with the Morey faves.  Unless we hit the '60s on Fri, this could end up my Set o'the Week.

Looking at the other side of the coin--any bustouts in this set? The only one that might be is the Samantha Sang tune, and I'm not too sure about that one. Everything else I can say I've heard at least once on 10@10.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2007, 10:20:38 PM »
Looking at the other side of the coin--any bustouts in this set? The only one that might be is the Samantha Sang tune, and I'm not too sure about that one. Everything else I can say I've heard at least once on 10@10.

Def been a good long time since Samantha, er, sang on 10@10.  But no argument from me -- no bustouts either.  But it was truly one of those the-year-as-I-remember-it sets; covered all the bases without resorting to, say, "Love is Like Oxygen".

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2007, 10:01:31 AM »
But it was truly one of those the-year-as-I-remember-it sets; covered all the bases without resorting to, say, "Love is Like Oxygen".

Agreed, especially the Stones & Exile & Clapton back-to-back-to-back. I played the first and last of those albums to death, and "Kiss You All Over" was definitely my favorite R&B song of the period.  Only thing is, I never heard that much Todd back in my KSHE 95 days & I'm pretty sure I never heard "Onomatopoeia" in particular.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2007, 10:04:33 AM »
I've heard "Time Passages" a million times, and even really listened to the words, but today it is resonating with me.

"The years are too short and the days too fast."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2007, 11:05:09 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
"Kiss You All Over" was definitely my favorite R&B song of the period.

That would be news to the incredibly white band that sang it :wink:

They later made a comeback in the '80s as a straight-up country group.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2007, 11:53:54 AM »

Hey now, white and R&B aren't mutually exclusive.  Don't forget, Boz Scaggs won the R&B Vocal Grammy once for "Lowdown."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2007, 12:11:58 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

Hey now, white and R&B aren't mutually exclusive.  Don't forget, Boz Scaggs won the R&B Vocal Grammy once for "Lowdown."

And Q's "Dancin' Man" is a great southern white R&B record (that happened to be made by white guys from Pennsylvania!). But Exile? No. Country boys from Kentucky who made a perfectly good pop record and then moved on to the genre they really belonged in -- they had TEN country #1's between '84 and '87, none of which charted pop.

But this exchange reminds me of what I wanted to mention yesterday during the board-crash:  At the same time "Does Your Mama Know About Me?" was a hit, Bill Medley (speaking of blue-eyed soul) also had a chart hit with a song about interracial love: "Brown-Eyed Woman". Dave should play both tunes back-to back in a future '68 set.