Author Topic: 29 August 2006--The Beatles Last Concert 40th Anniversary  (Read 5663 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 66
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2006, 08:08:24 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
OK, one out of three: The Remains, Cyrkle, and the Ronettes
Interesting, in that the Remains were unknowns, and the Ronettes were old news by '66.  And the Cyrkle had had -- what? -- 2 hits?
I don't think it really mattered who they hired--they wanted bands that would work cheap. No one paid their $5.50 to see the Remains.

Geoff, can you give a little perspective on this?
I'll never forgive myself for not going.  Tickets were available, and I loved the Beatles, but I guess at the time I thought if I went, all I would hear would be screaming girls!  I don't remember anything about the backing groups either.

FORGIVE YOURSELF!  That IS all you would have heard!  In all likelihood, at best you'd have trivia to dispense.  If you're gonna lament anything, lament not being at the Cavern Club in 1962.  :)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2006, 09:08:31 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
I'll never forgive myself for not going.  Tickets were available, and I loved the Beatles, but I guess at the time I thought if I went, all I would hear would be screaming girls!  I don't remember anything about the backing groups either.

FORGIVE YOURSELF!  That IS all you would have heard!  In all likelihood, at best you'd have trivia to dispense.  If you're gonna lament anything, lament not being at the Cavern Club in 1962.  :)

Speaking of trivia and the Cavern Club: didya know that Cilla Black was discovered there by Brian Epstein -- she was their singing coatcheck girl!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2006, 09:46:35 PM »

...she was their singing coatcheck girl!

Made me think of the singing elevator operator at the ballpark. He's very jovial, sits on a stool and takes ya up and down. Sings a great variety of tunes.
A wacky aside, just watched Silver Streak last night, now thinking about Gene Wilder dressing up like a black guy and trying to sing and jive in the bathroom. Richard Pryor was a treat to watch.
Sharks bleed teal.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2006, 11:09:51 PM »
OK, one out of three: The Remains, Cyrkle, and the Ronettes
Interesting, in that the Remains were unknowns, and the Ronettes were old news by '66.  And the Cyrkle had had -- what? -- 2 hits?
I don't think it really mattered who they hired--they wanted bands that would work cheap. No one paid their $5.50 to see the Remains.

Geoff, can you give a little perspective on this?

Dave's got a blog entry regarding the show and today's set, with comments from some folks who did go:

http://www.kfog.com/Blog/Blog/ViewItem.asp?Entry=1160&id=35
Let's get right to it.

SFGuy

29 August 2006--The Beatles Last Concert 40th Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2006, 12:17:10 AM »
Sets like these make me feel young. I wasn't even born yet when the Beatles performed at Candlestick.

I actually thought that it would of been a New Orleans set for one year of Katrina.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
29 August 2006--The Beatles Last Concert 40th Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2006, 09:57:43 AM »
Quote from: "SFGuy"
Sets like these make me feel young. I wasn't even born yet when the Beatles performed at Candlestick.

I actually thought that it would of been a New Orleans set for one year of Katrina.

I did too!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2006, 09:59:05 AM »

Speaking of trivia and the Cavern Club: didya know that Cilla Black was discovered there by Brian Epstein -- she was their singing coatcheck girl!

No, I didn't know where he'd found her!  Wish she'd done better in the States.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”