Author Topic: 8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!  (Read 12011 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2006, 11:24:25 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Tres interressant!  But Player wasn't a one-hit wonder!  ("This Time I'm in It for Love," the follow-up that I've never heard, made #10.)  I only knew a fraction of Lambert-Potter's reach.

The "other" Player song is a sprightly little pop ditty. BTW, "Love Music" (we sure can use it, to turn the people on) was also recorded by the Four Tops.

OMFG!  You have just made my day.  Both for the tidbit and for the fact that you know that song.

JJ on KPOO has played it occasionally, and I don't think it actually charted as a single -- I'll check tonight for sure. The Tops non-hits from '74 onward include some great stuff, another fave of mine being "One Chain (Don't Make No Prison)" one for the peaked-at-#41 list. GREAT record, later covered by Santana.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2006, 12:45:35 PM »
Reading this reminds me how "Grey Seal" used to be somewhat common in '73 sets.  At some point or another, Dave has played nearly every track from GYBR, with the exception of maybe "Danny Bailey" and "Your Sister Can't Twist."  Makes me wonder if there are any albums from which Dave has played every song.  Court and Spark, maybe?

I have always wondered the same thing, so  I spent a few minutes checking.  Only going by what's in my archive,  Court and Spark seems like the winner, with Dave having played 9 of 11 tracks, and Rumours, with 8 of 11, seems to be the runnner up.  I initially thought Steely Dan was the best overall candidate, and on further review I was right. Dave has played 35 of the 63 total tracks on their eligible albums, including 7 of 9 tracks from The Royal Scam, 5 of 7 tracks from Gaucho, and 6 of 10 tracks from both Can't Buy A Thrill and Katy Lied.  There are several other albums with 6 of 10, such as Supertramp's Breakfast In America.  Few other album's have had more than 60% of the songs played by Dave, although it will surprise no one that one such is Zenyatta Mondatta, and another is the Cars debut album.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2006, 12:51:12 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Reading this reminds me how "Grey Seal" used to be somewhat common in '73 sets.  At some point or another, Dave has played nearly every track from GYBR, with the exception of maybe "Danny Bailey" and "Your Sister Can't Twist."  Makes me wonder if there are any albums from which Dave has played every song.  Court and Spark, maybe?

I have always wondered the same thing, so  I spent a few minutes checking.  Only going by what's in my archive,  Court and Spark seems like the winner, with Dave having played 9 of 11 tracks, and Rumours, with 8 of 11, seems to be the runnner up.

tell me the C&S and Rumours tracks that are NOT in your db and I'll tell you if I can ever recall Dave playing 'em in the past 14 years.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2006, 01:02:51 PM »

I have always wondered the same thing, so  I spent a few minutes checking.  Only going by what's in my archive,  Court and Spark seems like the winner, with Dave having played 9 of 11 tracks, and Rumours, with 8 of 11, seems to be the runnner up.

tell me the C&S and Rumours tracks that are NOT in your db and I'll tell you if I can ever recall Dave playing 'em in the past 14 years.

"Just Like This Train" & "Trouble Child" from Court and Spark; "Songbird", "Oh Daddy" & "Gold Dust Woman" from Rumours.  I'll be shocked to pieces if you don't say that you've heard "Gold Dust Woman before.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2006, 01:19:46 PM »
"Just Like This Train" & "Trouble Child" from Court and Spark; "Songbird", "Oh Daddy" & "Gold Dust Woman" from Rumours.  I'll be shocked to pieces if you don't say that you've heard "Gold Dust Woman before.

Indeed. I'm sure Dave's played GDW.  And I'm sure "Trouble Child" has made an appearance, tho' it's been ages...  the other 3 I can honestly say I've never heard on 10@10.

But Rumours made me think of Fleetwood Mac, and that's another 8-for-11 as far as my memory goes: only "Blue Letter", "Sugar Daddy" and "I'm so Afraid" have never been spun by Dave (tho' BL has appeared via Bob and either Rob or Ginger too).

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2006, 04:21:49 PM »

Indeed. I'm sure Dave's played GDW.  And I'm sure "Trouble Child" has made an appearance, tho' it's been ages...  the other 3 I can honestly say I've never heard on 10@10.

But Rumours made me think of Fleetwood Mac, and that's another 8-for-11 as far as my memory goes: only "Blue Letter", "Sugar Daddy" and "I'm so Afraid" have never been spun by Dave (tho' BL has appeared via Bob and either Rob or Ginger too).

I don't doubt the accuracy of your memory, however "Over My Head", "Say You Love Me", & "Silver Springs" are the only tunes from Fleetwood Mac that are in the archive.  Dave just hasn't been hitting that album much, those three songs combine for a total of 6 entries, whereas the 8 songs from Rumours combine for 23(!).

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2006, 08:55:46 PM »
Tres interressant!  But Player wasn't a one-hit wonder!  ("This Time I'm in It for Love," the follow-up that I've never heard, made #10.)  I only knew a fraction of Lambert-Potter's reach.

The "other" Player song is a sprightly little pop ditty. BTW, "Love Music" (we sure can use it, to turn the people on) was also recorded by the Four Tops.

OMFG!  You have just made my day.  Both for the tidbit and for the fact that you know that song.

JJ on KPOO has played it occasionally, and I don't think it actually charted as a single -- I'll check tonight for sure.

Well, the Tops version of LM never charted, either Pop or R&B; kind of amazing if it was never a single, since it got more airplay than some of their actual 45s.  But this is weird: in '77 someone or something called The Regal Dewy charted R&B with a song called "Love Music"; no idea if it was perhaps a disco version of the same tune.

I've never heard the Raiders version, BTW.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2006, 09:39:18 PM »

I can confirm "Trouble Child": I specifically remember Dave playing it and "Twisted" as a two-fer.

Very interesting results!  Thanks for checking that.

As for PR&tR's "Love Music," I only own it on cassette -- but it's for sale on iTunes if you wanna drop a buck.  (It would be so easy for me to treat iTunes as a bar jukebox and the songs as disposables.  That's why I won't let myself.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
8 Aug 2006--it's 1973!!!
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2006, 09:44:58 PM »
PS: Your database indicates only 5 tracks played from GYBR: Saturday Night's Alright, the title track, All the Girls Love Alice, Harmony, and I've Seen That Movie Too.  Quelle suprise!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Fleetwood Mac's first BN album
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2006, 10:25:23 PM »
I don't doubt the accuracy of your memory, however "Over My Head", "Say You Love Me", & "Silver Springs" are the only tunes from Fleetwood Mac that are in the archive.  Dave just hasn't been hitting that album much, those three songs combine for a total of 6 entries, whereas the 8 songs from Rumours combine for 23(!).

Silver Spring isn't on that record, so that's even less.  Seems odd

1.Monday Morning
2.Warm Ways
3.Blue Letter
4.Rhiannon
5.Over My Head
6.Crystal
7.Say You Love Me
8.Landslide
9.World Turning
10.Sugar Daddy
11.I'm So Afraid
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Fleetwood Mac's first BN album
« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2006, 09:47:08 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

Silver Spring isn't on that record, so that's even less.

Silver Spring isn't on that record, so that's even less fewer.  -1 pt.

Aren't you an English teacher?

:wink:  :roll:  :wink:  :roll:

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 10, 2006, 09:54:18 AM »

I used to be an English major, but in two weeks, my first gig as a certified teacher starts in chemistry and physics!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 10, 2006, 10:01:25 AM »

I used to be an English major, but in two weeks, my first gig as a certified teacher starts in chemistry and physics!

Oh, well that's okay then, countable and noncountable nouns don't matter in physics & chemistry. (  :wink:  teasing  :wink:  )

Seriously though, I really didn't know that you were teaching those subjects.  If you ever feel like getting some outside feedback/advice/curriculum help let me know, I have a good friend who teaches those subjects at Berkely High, for about 7 years now.  His wife is my son's godmother.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2006, 10:06:57 AM »

Oh, well that's okay then, countable and noncountable nouns don't matter in physics & chemistry. (  :wink:  teasing  :wink:  )

Seriously though, I really didn't know that you were teaching those subjects.  If you ever feel like getting some outside feedback/advice/curriculum help let me know, I have a good friend who teaches those subjects at Berkely High, for about 7 years now.  His wife is my son's godmother.
well, English does matter, but I'll leave that for another discussion.  I need all the help I can get, primarily because I'll be teaching 5 classes in 4 different rooms.  I need lesson plans and labs/demos that lend themselves to 'homeless' teachers who have to wheel a cart from room to room.