Author Topic: 3 May 2006: 1991  (Read 9261 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
3 May 2006: 1991
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2006, 10:38:48 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Why doesn't Dave play anything else from Jesus Jones' Doubt album?

I mean, sure, "Right Here, Right Now" hit #2, but "Real, Real, Real" hit #4, and "International Bright Young Thing" reached Modern Rock Tracks #6.

See, here's why I get ticked off with Dave.  "True Companion" is one of no less than FIVE cuts from Marc Cohn that he's played, so it's not like it's against his religion to play a such a variety even from the same record.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2006, 10:40:36 AM »
Thank god that's over. "Jose went for Crowded House" -- more evidence that he doesn't exist/is really Dave.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2006, 10:41:42 AM »
Not sorry I missed this set, but Princess, I must say, I don't know which is more worrisome: (a) your choice of sig quote, or (b) my recognizing it at first glance despite not having heard the song since, what, 1988?  Not one of my fave BJ tracks, I must confess.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2006, 10:44:34 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Not sorry I missed this set, but Princess, I must say, I don't know which is more worrisome: (a) your choice of sig quote, or (b) my recognizing it at first glance despite not having heard the song since, what, 1988?  Not one of my fave BJ tracks, I must confess.

it was all the rage in '86 (i seem to remember it then??). a lot of fun to sing along to when you're nine.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2006, 10:47:56 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "Gazoo"

it was all the rage in '86 (i seem to remember it then??). a lot of fun to sing along to when you're nine.

indeed, an '86 hit.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2006, 01:47:26 PM »
1.  Crowded House - Fall At Your Feet  
2.  Primal Scream - Movin' On Up  
3.  Queensryche - Silent Lucidity (BEST OF SET!!)  
4.  Chris Whitley - Poison Girl  
5.  Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Learning to Fly  
6.  Voice of the Beehive - Monsters & Angels  
7.  Jesus Jones - Right Here, Right Now  
8.  INXS - Shining Star  
9.  Damn Yankees - High Enough  
10.  Marc Cohn - True Companion  

BONUS TRACK:  Rembrandts - Just the Way it is, Baby

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2006, 04:38:39 PM »
One of these days (hopefully soon) I'm going to get a much better job (salary- and career-wise) & I won't be able to goof off like this, but today anyway, indulge me.  We have had 18 previous 1991 sets in the past 24 months (for which my Db is continuous & complete), which includes 2 non-dupe 'Classic' sets.  I'm trying to work out some analytical tools, so feedback is appreciated, either of my calculations or of my terminology - some of these terms are admittedly awkward.  I want to measure Katrina-ness, depth & breadth, and maybe a few more things as they come to me.  What I got so far is:

Total Appearances (TA) = appearances in the whole Db (which begins in Dec '01, but is not statistically reliable)
Recent Appearances (RA) = appearances since May '04 (statistically reliable, but most of us have memories going back at least 3 times as long*)
Katrina % (A%) = appearances/# of sets (this is my measure of depth, based on RA)
Best of Set % (B%) = % of time this song got BOS status, incl. today (1/3 point for 3-way tie, etc.  Based on TA)
If TA is Bold, the song is a Katrina.  If Song title is Underlined the song is a bustout (i.e. a new unique entry in the Db)  If both Artist & Song are underlined, then it's a new unique entry for the artist.

1.  Crowded House - Fall At Your Feet:  TA - 3, RA - 3, K% - 23.1%, B% - 0
2.  Primal Scream - Movin' On Up:   TA - 6, RA - 3, K% - 23.1%, B% - 0
3.  Queensryche - Silent Lucidity (BOS):   TA - 3, RA - 2, K% - 15.4%, B% - 66.7%
4.  Chris Whitley - Poison Girl:  TA - 1, RA - 1, K% - 7.7%, B% - 0
5.  Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers - Learning to Fly:   TA - 2, RA - 2, K% - 15.4%, B% -  0
6.  Voice of the Beehive - Monsters & Angels:   TA - 3, RA - 3, K% - 23.1%, B% -  0
7.  Jesus Jones - Right Here, Right Now:   TA - 7, RA - 5, K% - 38.5%, B% -  0
8.  INXS - Shining Star:   TA - 6, RA - 4, K% - 30.8%, B% -  0
9.  Damn Yankees - High Enough:   TA - 1, RA - 1, K% - 7.7%, B% -  0
10.  Marc Cohn - True Companion:   TA - 2, RA - 1, K% - 7.7%, B% -  0

*and for Mike, what, 6 times as long???
**it might take me a while to adjust for songs that Dave puts in the wrong years.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010