Author Topic: 31 March '06 - it's all too beautiful: 1968  (Read 11638 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: what a concept
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2006, 03:48:28 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Quote from: "RGMike"
[PS, does anyone have Sam Cooke's "A Change is Gonna Come?"
I have it on a Sam Cooke GH CD.

Well, if I know I can come to POC party, I'll try and get you to bring that and the Byrds disc so I can make an MP3.

No problem, sir.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
31 March '06 - it's all too beautiful: 1968
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2006, 06:43:28 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
I know it's unseemly to complain during a '60s set, but "Baby Come Back" is pretty much a Katrina at this point.

Well, I haven't gotten into 2005, but I have wrapped up everything prior that is available on Darryl, and the Equals only showed up once among 9 sets in that sample.

Mike, can I have some of what you're smokin'?  I didn't go all the way back yet, but in the previous 5 sets dating to last May they didn't appear either.  I don't think zero appearances for 8 months & 1 appearance in the previous 4 years constitutes a Katrina.  Bring your stash to POC's party...

When I say "Katrina" I'm going back a long time and I know that song has been a Morey '68 staple over many years... so to ME, it' a Katrina.

Not trying to fan any flames here, but in my mind it seems like we've heard it a lot too. However, I freely admit that that could be because I've heard it when playing recordings of some sets. That said, I checked my archive and of the 15 1968 sets I have recorded (which is far from comprehensive--I'm sure I missed others), I found "Baby Come Back" in three of them dating back to 2002: 2/22/2002, 7/22/2002, and 3/12/2004, and in all three it was the TOTHC. Those first two occurrences are close enough together to put a song close to Katrina status--if there were one other appearance a a few months before or after those, I'd say it would have qualified.

As I was scanning setlists, I also noticed Grazin' In the Grass came up quite often, as did most of the others Mark cited (didn't notice America or House that Jack built as much).

On the other hand, I am also of the belief that a song can be un-Katrinafied, over time. The original Katrina is probably qualifies in that category, as I don't think I've heard it more than once or twice in the last two to three years.

Btw, I liked today's set in general--some great segues (the one that preceded Say a Little Prayer in particular) and for the record, I dug hearing the long version of Susie Q too.

My BOS would have been either the Small Faces tune (a nice switch from Tin Soldier, which has appeared more than you'd guess) or Alone Again Or.
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
my two bits
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2006, 10:08:20 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
A Katrina is a Katrina because it's been heard too much.  It only follows that as time goes by, the Katrinaness must wear off.  It's the second law of thermodynamics: everything concentrated gets diluted!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: my two bits
« Reply #48 on: April 01, 2006, 10:46:00 AM »
A Katrina is a Katrina because it's been heard too much.  It only follows that as time goes by, the Katrinaness must wear off.  It's the second law of thermodynamics: everything concentrated gets diluted!

Hey Geoff, assuming you're coming Sun nite -- what Byrds song were you looking for again?

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #49 on: April 01, 2006, 10:59:37 AM »
Hey Geoff, assuming you're coming Sun nite -- what Byrds song were you looking for again?

From a Distance, from some box set
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 01, 2006, 11:33:22 AM »

From a Distance, from some box set

Got it -- and the Sam Cooke too.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
31 March '06 - it's all too beautiful: 1968
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2006, 09:27:37 PM »
Not trying to fan any flames here, but in my mind it seems like we've heard it a lot too.

Didn't get to jump in before, but I thought we'd heard it a lot in the past year as well.  Maybe it showed up in a Soul Patrol and/or a Vertical Tasting?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”