Author Topic: 9 July 2015: it's... 1974!  (Read 10186 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 9 July 2015: it's... 1974!
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2015, 03:46:27 PM »

ETA: I'm wrong about Robben Ford, he came along later.

??

That's something Geoff wrote, but he edited my post instead of his own... But now I can't find his original post.  It must've gotten deleted by mistake.  He must be on the Decaf.

He was talking about the Joni LP.

Embarrassing, isn't it?  Yes, I was talking about the Joni LP, but in my travels to find the truth, it just got all screwed up, I had to hit the road, so I just deleted my original stupid comment, but you guys are too quick!  What's the time analogous to the '5 second rule' in postings?  How quickly must I just erase my tracks before I have to explain my errors?
 ;)
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2015, 11:01:14 PM »
With Sixties officially dead on KFOG

"Officially?"  As in, a statement made by a KFOG employee with either the knowledge or the authority
to know for certain?
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2015, 10:26:29 AM »

"Officially?"  As in, a statement made by a KFOG employee with either the knowledge or the authority
to know for certain?

"Apparently" might be a better word for it. Last new Sixties set was in April (1968), and then there was an encore of another '68 set on Memorial Day. I'd also remind you that there was a period in the early 2000's (02-03 maybe?) where there were no 60s sets for *months* on end but eventually they came back into the rotation. So as Deborah Iyall sings, Never Say Never.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2015, 11:17:54 AM »

to know for certain?

"Apparently" might be a better word for it. Last new Sixties set was in April (1968), and then there was an encore of another '68 set on Memorial Day. I'd also remind you that there was a period in the early 2000's (02-03 maybe?) where there were no 60s sets for *months* on end but eventually they came back into the rotation. So as Deborah Iyall sings, Never Say Never.

It would be nice if that happened but this is essentially coming from 'snipes who are closer to AL than you or I. Given that what few '60s songs were in regular KFOG rotay are also gone (buh-bye, "Honky Tonk Women"), it seems like truth to me. (the oldest song being played currently is "Space Oddity" which while orig released in '69, is a '73 hit as far as Americans are concerned.)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2015, 04:45:41 AM »
to know for certain?
It would be nice if that happened but this is essentially coming from 'snipes who are closer to AL than you or I. Given that what few '60s songs were in regular KFOG rotay are also gone (buh-bye, "Honky Tonk Women"), it seems like truth to me. (the oldest song being played currently is "Space Oddity" which while orig released in '69, is a '73 hit as far as Americans are concerned.)

It occurs to me we'll never get "official" confirmation of this, as one generally only uses negatives in statements about
one's product in conjunction with undesirable aspects, not desirable ones.  Thus, "no more commercials!" but not
"no more great sixties music!"

The wheel turns, and many of the people responsible for running KFOG (and in radio generally) weren't even born in
the sixties.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2015, 03:08:35 PM »
this is essentially coming from 'snipes who are closer to AL than you or I.
I am even farther away from the inner circle, but that's what this has smelled like.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2015, 08:49:11 PM »
Hmmm, KFOG hasn't posted the setlist from Friday's '74 set...
Tuned to a natural E