Author Topic: 28 May 2014: it's... 1968!  (Read 8580 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 28 May 2014: it's... 1968!
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2014, 10:38:10 AM »
BOS2 "Lazy Sunday Afternoon". Small Faces.  A fine alternative to "Itchykoo LN"
but nowhere near as good!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »

In Ian MacLagan's bio, All the Rage, he says that the band always thought Lazy Sunday was a bit of fluff and were bugged that it became such a big hit in the UK, which meant they had to keep playing it.  Nonetheless, I always enjoyed it, but I didn't hear it until much much later.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2014, 10:42:25 AM »

Agreed. Nevertheless, it's good to hear any SF, IMHO.  That song showed Steve Marriott's affinity for show tunes and theatrics: he once trod the boards as the Artful Dodger on the London stage. 

there's always Room For Ravers!
~CPL593H~

yessongs

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2014, 11:17:33 AM »

Agreed as well...
Now I'm eight bits...

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2014, 01:03:19 PM »

In Ian MacLagan's bio, All the Rage, he says that the band always thought Lazy Sunday was a bit of fluff and were bugged that it became such a big hit in the UK, which meant they had to keep playing it.  Nonetheless, I always enjoyed it, but I didn't hear it until much much later.

What urth said. I didn't hear "Lazy" until I stated listening to Capital Gold 10 years ago. Whereas I've heard "Itchykoo" a bazillion times.

And Yes: "Hey Jude" is indeed uber-LN-infinity. We've heard it a half-dozen times here since the RR era began, I'm guessing, and it's an oldies staple. Given the number of Beatle choices in '68, kind of unforgiveable, IMHO. But everything before it was pretty swell.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »
And Yes: "Hey Jude" is indeed uber-LN-infinity. We've heard it a half-dozen times here since the RR era began, I'm guessing, and it's an oldies staple. Given the number of Beatle choices in '68, kind of unforgiveable, IMHO.

Blame the Fogheads, because "Hey Jude" gets co-BOS with the Byrds.

Wednesday 5/28/2014 1968

1.The Jimi Hendrix Experience  -  Crosstown Traffic
2. The Jeff Beck Group - Rock my plimsoul
    TV: The Dating Game (Bachelor #2 is nude?)
3. The Rolling Stones - Stray Cat Blues
    TV: The Dating Game (Bachelor #2 is Steve Martin?)
4. The Doors - Hello, I love You
5. Small Faces -  Lazy Sunday
    News Sports Mexico City Olympics - Smith & Carlos Black Power Salute
6. James Brown - Say it Loud (I'm black & I'm Proud)
    News: MLK speech / Freedom
7. Rascals - People Got to be Free
8. Mike Bloomfield, Al Kooper, Steven Stills : It takes alot to laugh, It takesa train to cry (Supersession)
9. The Byrds - You ain't going Nowhere (BOS!!)
    TV: The Smothers Bros Introducing new Beatles Song: "(Hey) Jude"
10. Beatles - Hey Jude (BOS!!)
Tuned to a natural E

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2014, 03:23:14 PM »

What urth said. I didn't hear "Lazy" until I stated listening to Capital Gold 10 years ago. Whereas I've heard "Itchykoo" a bazillion times.

And Yes: "Hey Jude" is indeed uber-LN-infinity. We've heard it a half-dozen times here since the RR era began, I'm guessing, and it's an oldies staple. Given the number of Beatle choices in '68, kind of unforgiveable, IMHO. But everything before it w. as pretty swell.

In the context of the clip however, it was kind of a must. That Hey Jude "video" did in fact debut to American audiences on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, as did a lot of other now-classic songs *before* they were released as singles ("Somebody to Love, for instance). I recently finished reading David Bianculli's book on the Smothers Brothers' show and its significance in American late-60s pop culture, and I had no idea it was as ground-breaking or as as it was. (Granted I was all of 10 when it went off the air, but I def remember watching it with my dad.)
Let's get right to it.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2014, 11:24:42 PM »
And Yes: "Hey Jude" is indeed uber-LN-infinity. We've heard it a half-dozen times here since the RR era began, I'm guessing, and it's an oldies staple. Given the number of Beatle choices in '68, kind of unforgiveable, IMHO.
Blame the Fogheads, because "Hey Jude" gets co-BOS with the Byrds.

50% is still a failing grade...

About 2.5 LNs and no bust-outs, but not really any FFs either.  Today's set was good, but there's
lots of room for improvement.  Plenty of material to explore.  (Note to self:  find something else
to complain about besides lack of bust-outs, particularly for strong artists and/or strong years.)

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2014, 11:37:28 PM »

And Yes: "Hey Jude" is indeed uber-LN-infinity. We've heard it a half-dozen times here since the RR era began, I'm guessing, and it's an oldies staple. Given the number of Beatle choices in '68, kind of unforgiveable, IMHO. But everything before it w. as pretty swell.

In the context of the clip however, it was kind of a must. That Hey Jude "video" did in fact debut to American audiences on The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour, as did a lot of other now-classic songs *before* they were released as singles ("Somebody to Love, for instance). I recently finished reading David Bianculli's book on the Smothers Brothers' show and its significance in American late-60s pop culture, and I had no idea it was as ground-breaking or as as it was. (Granted I was all of 10 when it went off the air, but I def remember watching it with my dad.)

Note also the 2002 documentary, Smothered:  The Censorship Struggles of the Smothers
Brothers Comedy Hour
, which has aired on PBS.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348056/
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"