Author Topic: RIH Fred Phelps  (Read 2891 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
RIH Fred Phelps
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: RIH Fred Phelps
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:50:37 PM »
"I take no solace or joy in this man's passing.  We will not dance upon his grave, nor stand vigil
at his funeral holding 'God Hates Freds' signs, tempting as it may be.  He was a tormented soul,
who tormented so many.  Hate never wins out in the end.  It instead goes always to its lonely,
dusty end."

-- George Takei
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:25:48 AM »
"I take no solace or joy in this man's passing.  We will not dance upon his grave, nor stand vigil
at his funeral holding 'God Hates Freds' signs, tempting as it may be.  He was a tormented soul,
who tormented so many.  Hate never wins out in the end.  It instead goes always to its lonely,
dusty end."

-- George Takei

and I agree with George, in theory. But it's very difficult not to hate Phelps' followers in practice.  :)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 03:36:24 PM »
Albert Brooks tweeted: "I'd like to be there when Fred Phelps finds out all the angels are men."

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 10:20:58 PM »
dusty end."
-- George Takei
and I agree with George, in theory. But it's very difficult not to hate Phelps' followers in practice.  :)

Isn't that the challange for all of us?  Whether it's a divisive, nationally recognized figure, or an
anonymous driver who cuts us off in traffic -- to return kindness and compassion for anger and
hate.  If not for spiritual reasons, then for just the practical observation that falling into the
downward spiral of mutual hate contributes nothing to well-being of anyone.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
Albert Brooks tweeted: "I'd like to be there when Fred Phelps finds out all the angels are men."

Angels are supposed to be supernatural, spiritual beings -- not human.  It's anthropomorphizing
to assign them gender.