Author Topic: 28 Jan 2014: it's... 1978  (Read 7184 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 28 Jan 2014: it's... 1978
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »
Bob Weir "Heaven Help The Fool"
wow - another nice rarity.  BOS3FRA
I'm pretty surprised at this.
surprised that she played it, or surprised that I BOS'd it?  ;D

I recall this LP getting a fair amount of NYC airplay, and I certainly liked it better than what the Dead were doing at the time.  And I still want to believe the rumors about him, even if there seems to be no evidence to support them.
Well, mainly surprised that they played it, and maybe a little surprised at your BOS, but not too much.  If you are referring to the typical type of rumors you refer to, I can say I've spent time with him walking around a trade show, and have been to his house many times, and all the evidence is quite strong against those rumors being true.  I guess anything is possible, but if I had to bet a dollar...

Ugly rumors?

I would suppose the most damaging rumor would be that he lip-syncs, or something like that.  I
can guess the rumor RGMike is alluding to, but that's probably more wishful thinking than rumor.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 08:00:59 PM »
Bob Weir "Heaven Help The Fool"
wow - another nice rarity.  BOS3FRA
I'm pretty surprised at this.
surprised that she played it, or surprised that I BOS'd it?  ;D

I recall this LP getting a fair amount of NYC airplay, and I certainly liked it better than what the Dead were doing at the time.  And I still want to believe the rumors about him, even if there seems to be no evidence to support them.
Well, mainly surprised that they played it, and maybe a little surprised at your BOS, but not too much.  If you are referring to the typical type of rumors you refer to, I can say I've spent time with him walking around a trade show, and have been to his house many times, and all the evidence is quite strong against those rumors being true.  I guess anything is possible, but if I had to bet a dollar...

Ugly rumors?

I would suppose the most damaging rumor would be that he lip-syncs, or something like that.  I
can guess the rumor RGMike is alluding to, but that's probably more wishful thinking than rumor.

To be specific, I had Deadhead friends in NY back in the '80s who told me that Mr. Weir's nickname among Deadheads was "Bob Queer" because "he was always hitting on cute young guys".  And since those friends had also told me about Pete Townsend long before his sexuality was revealed, I've always believed the story. Geoff's story seems to contradict it (and Mr Weir now has a wife, tho' iirc he married fairly late in life).  Bob was certainly cute back in the day.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 11:09:14 PM »
BTW, that didn't suck too bad, for 1978.  BOS for the Stones, who, tongue firmly in cheek, manage
to walk the fine line between homage and parody.  Another BOS for the Bob Marley song, which
surprisingly has seen only a couple of appearences on 10@10.  VHM for Bob Weir, today's snoozy
rarity.

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 11:27:55 AM »
BTW, that didn't suck too bad, for 1978.  BOS for the Stones, who, tongue firmly in cheek, manage
to walk the fine line between homage and parody.  Another BOS for the Bob Marley song, which
surprisingly has seen only a couple of appearences on 10@10.  VHM for Bob Weir, today's snoozy
rarity.

Yes, a fine set (although it could've used something from Joe Walsh's But Seriously, Folks...).  Not a big fan of the Stones' countrified stuff, though.  Too much of a put-on for me.  And if you're gonna have reggae, Some Bob Marley is OK, although I couldn't locate my hacky-sack before the song ended.  As a result I felt alone, naked, cold and not high enough.  ;)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
rarity.

Yes, a fine set (although it could've used something from Joe Walsh's But Seriously, Folks...). 

Also some interesting (Non-Sat Nite Fever) disco -- Dave loved digging out old club nuggets.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round