Author Topic: 21 Oct 2013: it's... 1970  (Read 8199 times)

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Oct 2013: it's... 1970
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »
Renee: BOS Derek/Dominos; VHM Joni Mitchell and Cat Stevens
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 10:31:06 PM »
Help!  I'm in an abusive relationship with 10@10!  After many days of neglect and mistreatment
through mediocre sets and lame encores, and just when I'm about to turn my back, leave, and
walk out for good, 10@10 comes back all smiles with a bouquet of flowers and a big box of candy.
Oh 10@10!  I don't know if I can believe you this time... I've been disappointed so often before.

A good set for 1970 and a very good set for 10@10 in general.  Four -- count 'em -- four bust-outs,
ranging from good to excellent.  (Joni, Led Zeppelin, CCR, & Cat Stevens)  I know I'm repeating
myself, but this demonstrates the potential of "big name artists" to deliver an outstanding set
by reaching deeper into their catalogues for worthy songs that have yet to appear on 10@10.

My one complaint would be that after the extended clip regarding Hendrix's death, we got
the cover of Little Wing, when there was the obvious opportunity to play something from
Band of Gypsies.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 10:42:09 PM »
Methinks we heard "John Barleycorn" fairly recently, but VHM anyway. Proxy of Lightnin' Rod.

John Barleycorn last appeared on 10@10 on November 21, 2008.  On the other hand, this is the
third appearance in 2013 for I'm Your Captain (Closer to Home).  While I've enjoyed it each time,
I think it's due for a rest.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2013, 07:38:08 PM »
My one complaint would be that after the extended clip regarding Hendrix's death, we got the cover of Little Wing, when there was the obvious opportunity to play something from
Band of Gypsies.
While I'm not one to criticize Band of Gypsies (although I'm an anti-fan of Buddy Miles), I do have to search for a word to describe Derek and the Dominoes version of "Little Wing" beyond 'cover.'  This is such an historic track, it's up there with Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watchtower" in its importance.  How do we talk about truly significant covers?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 10:16:27 PM »
My one complaint would be that after the extended clip regarding Hendrix's death, we got the cover of Little Wing, when there was the obvious opportunity to play something from
Band of Gypsies.
While I'm not one to criticize Band of Gypsies (although I'm an anti-fan of Buddy Miles), I do have to search for a word to describe Derek and the Dominoes version of "Little Wing" beyond 'cover.'  This is such an historic track, it's up there with Hendrix's cover of "All Along the Watchtower" in its importance.  How do we talk about truly significant covers?

My use of the word "cover" is in no way pejorative, either in this specific instance or in most
general usage.  I do not regard this as an inferior work at all, nor do I hold that covers are
by necessity lesser than their corresponding originals.  It's just that the preceding news clip
repeatedly mentioned Hendrix's guitar playing ability, and so it seemed to me the most
appropriate segue would have been into a demonstration of the same.  As Band of Gypsies
was released in 1970, it was a likely choice.

I am not grasping the historic significance you mentioned in the covers of Little Wing and
All Along the Watchtower, but no doubt that is a lack of perspective on my part, and one
which perhaps you can remedy.  There may not be a singular noun that applies in these cases;
you may have to settle for one or more adjectives.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2013, 07:40:57 AM »
I am not grasping the historic significance you mentioned in the covers of Little Wing and All Along the Watchtower, but no doubt that is a lack of perspective on my part, and onewhich perhaps you can remedy.  There may not be a singular noun that applies in these cases; you may have to settle for one or more adjectives.

I suspect one of the things Geoff is getting at is that these are covers that transcend being mere remakes; certainly these two brought the songs to a much wider audience than thay'd previously had. I know I heard the Hendrix "Watchtower" before I heard Dylan's and maybe the same was true of Dominoes over Jimi (1970 is sometimes hazy).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2013, 08:19:50 AM »
I am not grasping the historic significance you mentioned in the covers of Little Wing and All Along the Watchtower, but no doubt that is a lack of perspective on my part, and onewhich perhaps you can remedy.  There may not be a singular noun that applies in these cases; you may have to settle for one or more adjectives.

I suspect one of the things Geoff is getting at is that these are covers that transcend being mere remakes; certainly these two brought the songs to a much wider audience than thay'd previously had. I know I heard the Hendrix "Watchtower" before I heard Dylan's and maybe the same was true of Dominoes over Jimi (1970 is sometimes hazy).

I think transcendence is a key ingredient.  Hendrix's "Watchtower" is a gem, from start to finish.  Every little aspect, from the opening acoustic guitars, to his playing slide using the microphone stand, serves the overall song.  It's a remarkable achievement, and has influenced almost all subsequent covers of the song (including live Dylan versions).  As far as the Dominoes track is concerned, the whole album (save a few cuts) is an historic meeting between junkie superstar EC and a young, blazing, not-long-for-this-world Duane Allman.  Duane's soaring tone honors and extends Hendrix's style.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2013, 10:20:37 PM »

While it's true that these covers exposed the songs to a wider audience than the originals (more
so for Watchtower than Little Wing), that's hardly the first time this has occurred, even
for Dylan.  Indeed, he famously has written and recorded many songs that were subsequently
covered by other artists who garnered more acclaim, recognition, and success.  This pattern goes
all the way back to his early folk singer days.  There's probably enough for a 10@10 set.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2013, 10:57:29 PM »

I think transcendence is a key ingredient.  Hendrix's "Watchtower" is a gem, from start to finish.  Every little aspect, from the opening acoustic guitars, to his playing slide using the microphone stand, serves the overall song.  It's a remarkable achievement, and has influenced almost all subsequent covers of the song (including live Dylan versions).  As far as the Dominoes track is concerned, the whole album (save a few cuts) is an historic meeting between junkie superstar EC and a young, blazing, not-long-for-this-world Duane Allman.  Duane's soaring tone honors and extends Hendrix's style.

So do we really need a separate word for these covers?  There seem to be plenty of potential
adjectives:  transcendent, transformative, innovative, ground-breaking...

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2013, 10:07:11 AM »

So do we really need a separate word for these covers?  There seem to be plenty of potential
adjectives:  transcendent, transformative, innovative, ground-breaking...
I like 'transcendent,' but the word 're-imagined' comes to mind.