Author Topic: 30 Aug 2013: it's... Summer's last hurrah  (Read 18647 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 30 Aug 2013: it's... Summer's last hurrah
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2013, 11:10:44 AM »
interestingly, for an underwhelming set, we reached 5 pages of comments for the first time since Father's Day...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2013, 11:18:02 AM »
interestingly, for an underwhelming set, we reached 5 pages of comments for the first time since Father's Day...

Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2013, 11:39:25 AM »

even better!

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2013, 04:07:46 PM »
2013-08-30 - FRIDAY!! Summer's last hurrah - Today, we're saying goodbye to summer!
 1. Jeb Loy Nichols - Heaven Right Here
 2. Simple Minds - Someone Somewhere In Summertime
 3. The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon
(Movie: Meatballs - "Woody the Wabbit")
 4. Don Henley - The Boys Of Summer
(TV: The Simpsons)
 5. Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends (VHM)
 6. Big Brother & The Holding Company (Janis Jopin vocals) - Summertime (BOS)
 7. John Mayer - Wildfire
 8. The Who - Summertime Blues
(Movie: The Sandlot - "S'mores")
 9. Florence + The Machine - Dog Days Are Over
(Movie: Grease)
10. The Motels - Suddenly Last Summer (VHM)
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:11 PM »
A few cursory comments...  some of these were NTM, but I'm in no mental state to explore
new material.  I like the Kinks, the Don Henley song, and the Motels... Summertime is perhaps
my favorite Janis song, and in a better state of mind it would really set me vibrating, if you know
what I mean.  I like Flo and her machine, but that song is overexposed, even for me, and that's
saying something.  Her appearence on Austin City Limits was entertaining in an eccentric way.

Overall, I liked hearing Friend of the Devil beforehand more, as it seemed to fit my
situation/mood better.

I thought it was the first theme 10@10 that we've had in quite a while, but I see there was
the Outside Lands commercial on the 9th.  Prior to that it was 4th of July set.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:59 PM »
uber-LN2 "Boys of Summer". Sheesh.  Let's get off this extremely beaten path, Renee -- Mungo Jerry and Sly not far behind?

Overplayed though it may be, still a BOS from me.  This is actually the ONLY Don Henley solo song that I really like...

Dirty Laundry?  Sunset Grill?  I think he's had a handful of good ones...
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2013, 09:11:39 PM »
uber-LN2 "Boys of Summer". Sheesh.  Let's get off this extremely beaten path, Renee -- Mungo Jerry and Sly not far behind?

Overplayed though it may be, still a BOS from me.  This is actually the ONLY Don Henley solo song that I really like...

Funny to think he's only had four solo albums (plus a greatest hits effort and a couple of other guest appearances). While there are occasions when I could do without his slower material, I can't think of a Henley song that I don't like.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2013, 08:23:50 AM »

Funny to think he's only had four solo albums (plus a greatest hits effort and a couple of other guest appearances). While there are occasions when I could do without his slower material, I can't think of a Henley song that I don't like.
My wife calls him "the whiner," but I think he's certainly put out some classics.  When I hear the "The Heart of the Matter" 12-string intro, I almost get chills of anticipation.  Great song.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2013, 09:33:19 AM »

My wife calls him "the whiner," but I think he's certainly put out some classics.  When I hear the "The Heart of the Matter" 12-string intro, I almost get chills of anticipation.  Great song.

I've often said that had he never been an Eagle, just "Boys of Summer" and "End of the Innocence" would have cemented his greatness. I don't think you can say the same about any of Frey's solo work.