Author Topic: 12 Aug 2013: it's... 1971  (Read 7891 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Aug 2013: it's... 1971
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 10:50:43 AM »
Damn fine set. My only complaint was with the backsell: Honey, it's pronounced "shmillson," not "smillson." These kids today...
Let's get right to it.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2013, 10:56:28 AM »
Renee: BOS Traffic; VHM Dead & Bowie
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2013, 11:27:38 AM »
Renee: BOS Traffic; VHM Dead & Bowie

I wonder how many votes that Sweet song got? ;)

Seriously, I have to wonder who is picking these welcome-yet-headscratching obscurities?  talk about a 180-degree turn from the what-did-DC-hear-on-Oldies 103.7-yesterday? method.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2013, 11:09:22 PM »
Closest to an LN today: Commander Cody.  This was quite wonderful.

One of the best sets we've had in weeks, and one of the best of the year, IMO.  Of course,
as I think 1971 is (by a very small margin) the best year, it would actually take more effort
to make a bad 1971 set than a good one.  However this was still a superior effort.  Let's go
to the tape...

(Arrgh!  A few weeks ago some nameless person started listing the sets as [song title] - [artist]
instead of [artist] - [song title] and now every one is copying them.)

1. T Rex - Jeepster

A frequent flyer and still a great song.  Good start.

2. Nilsson - Jump Into the Fire

Another staple, but prior to RR was played in '72 sets.  Half-point off for not playing the long
version.

3. Traffic - Low Spark of High Heel Boys

As a point of interest, my records back to 2002 show that DM only played the Jim Capaldi version.

4. Grateful Dead - Bertha

Bust-out.  I am surprised it didn't take BOS.

5. Cat Stevens - Bitterblue

Bust-out #2.

6. Co-Co-Sweet

Bust-out #3!  Not snoozy rarities, and not one, not two, but three excellent bust-outs in a row.

7.  JJ Cale - Call Me the Breeze

Is there a pattern here?  This is the second frequent flyer that previously appeared in 1972 sets.

8. Cornelius Brothers & Sister Rose - Treat Her Like A Lady

Only one previous appearence.

9. David Bowie - Queen Bitch

A second song with only one previous occurrence.

10.Commander Cody - Hot Rod Lincoln

A third frequent flyer that until RR was only played in 1972 sets (and "Car Tunes" sets).

In summary, three excellent bust-outs, two good rarities, two more good regulars, and
three frequent flyers from a different year.  All are strong material, and nothing has a
particularly high LN rating.  Oh, that they would all be this good...

Ack!  As I write this during the PM replay, it was abruptly terminating during "Queen Bitch,"
going directly a commercial block.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2013, 07:42:33 AM »

One of the best sets we've had in weeks, and one of the best of the year, IMO. 

a fine analysis overall, and I'm shocked that "Bertha' was a bustout -- I'd've sworn we heard it at least once, but it's not in the Shraytabase nor has it been played by AL or RR. Kind of amazing, actually.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2013, 11:00:30 PM »
a fine analysis overall, and I'm shocked that "Bertha' was a bustout -- I'd've sworn we heard it at least once, but it's not in the Shraytabase nor has it been played by AL or RR. Kind of amazing, actually.

I'm completely guessing, but I suspect DM wasn't a big Dead fan, although he certainly considered
the interests of his audience.  The great thing AL was doing was going deeper in the catalog of
the big name artists, and I think she might have eventually gotten to it.

This is a good example of the kind of song that should appear more often.  For a show like
10@10, and particularly in this market, this is not some obscure rarity.  There are many big
name artists that have a large body of solid work, and it should be heard instead of the usual
chart-topping hits.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:24 PM »

I'm completely guessing, but I suspect DM wasn't a big Dead fan, although he certainly considered
the interests of his audience.  The great thing AL was doing was going deeper in the catalog of
the big name artists, and I think she might have eventually gotten to it.

This is a good example of the kind of song that should appear more often.  For a show like
10@10, and particularly in this market, this is not some obscure rarity.  There are many big
name artists that have a large body of solid work, and it should be heard instead of the usual
chart-topping hits.
I think tracks from the Skull and Roses album as well as Europe '72 have suffered a lot on radio. I think there's an aversion to playing live albums, like they don't qualify as a 'real' release.  In the case of the Dead, these were the main vehicles for releasing new songs.  Bertha, Me and My Uncle, Me and Bobby McGee, Jack Straw, Brown Eyed Woman, and Tennesse Jed were just a few of the major songs released, that did not come out on a 'studio' disc. 
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!