Author Topic: 1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05  (Read 11299 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2005, 11:11:22 AM »
Bonus! the Dan, "Pretzel Logic".  Annalisa lets the quiz winner pick the bonus track now. That's a cool idea.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Tull
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2005, 12:22:10 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "Alicat"
Tull coming to Paramount later this year.
Skating Away-ay
When?  I wanna go.
I could probably make it too...

Saw them 5 or 6 years ago at Konocti.  Was fine.
If you guys really want to go, me and Bob are down for the show too. Buy tix together?

Haven't seen them in at least 30 years.  It would be fun, but it's a lot of $$ for those tix.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
the list
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2005, 12:28:41 PM »
Tull woulda been BOS for me!

9/09/05 - FRIDAY!!!!  Sounds great!  Must be....1974!!!

Isley Brothers - Live it Up!
Rolling Stones - Dance Sister Dance
Jethro Tull - Skating Away on the Thin Ice of a New Day
ELO - Eldorado Overture/Can't Get it Out of My Head
Doobies - Another Park, Another Sunday (B-O-S!!)
Paul McCartney & Wings - 1985
Wet Willie - Keep on Smilin'
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Don't Ask Me No Questions
Spinners - Mighty Love
Stealer's Wheel - Star
BONUS TRACK:  Steely Dan - Pretzel Logic
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2005, 12:43:26 PM »
I'll make sure to make it home from poc's gig tonite in time for the replay!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2005, 12:46:37 PM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
Quote from: "RGMike"
Damn 10:00 meeting. Looks like it was a good one -- I'd've BOS'd "Mighty Love".  

Davefish, mshray's avatar is the 2 women from Voice of the Beehive.

That's how he knows I'M gay -- I own the first Voice of the Beehive LP...

Ahh, thanks.  Now I know everything.

Then mister, you're a better man than I.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2005, 12:59:57 PM »
Because Rod knows nothing! Noooo-thiiing!  :D

Ah, Sgt Schultz. The Jolly Nazi.
nakes? On my plane?

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2005, 01:01:38 PM »
Quote from: "Beej"
Because Rod knows nothing! Noooo-thiiing!  :D

Ah, Sgt Schultz. The Jolly Nazi.

"Hoooo-gaaaan! Stop videotaping your sex with Fraulein Helga!"

Gaz at da Voice

1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2005, 01:46:34 PM »
Ooh, I missed a good set.  Love my Spinners -- that ha-ha-ha-happy sound -- but my BOS would have gone to "1985," quite possibly my favorite post-Beatles Macca composition (if not, a close second to "Silly Love Songs").

Off to DC until Tuesday night -- reporting on the Future of Music Coalition policy summit for the Voice -- but I'll be tuning in to the replay tonight and will catch up with you all Wednesday or Thursday!

Gaz

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2005, 10:46:25 PM »
Oh, even better than expected.  Almost a 10-way tie, except for the Wet Willie, which just bugs me.  As do the other kind of Wet Willies.

Goodness, do I love it when Philippe Wynne goes all batshit over his closing vamps.  His mind worked in ways that I have yet to grasp.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2005, 10:49:26 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Oh, even better than expected.  Almost a 10-way tie, except for the Wet Willie, which just bugs me.  

Oh yeah, and the Skynyrd, which I feel the same way about as most other Skynyrd, only with less actual curiosity.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2005, 11:11:23 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Oh, even better than expected.  Almost a 10-way tie, except for the Wet Willie, which just bugs me.  As do the other kind of Wet Willies.

Goodness, do I love it when Philippe Wynne goes all batshit over his closing vamps.  His mind worked in ways that I have yet to grasp.

It struck me last nite that his vamps on ML sounded a lot like an Al Green imitation.   But yes,  a fine set, including the Nixon stuff.  I'd have to give a BOS tie to the Spinners & Macca, as I love "1985" as much as you do. The years '73 & '74 were really the rehab of Sir Paul, after having been a critical whipping boy from "Another Day" thru Ram and (yikes!) "Mary had a Little lamb". But Band on the Run is a masterpiece and he followed it with (IMHO) his best-ever single, "Junior's Farm". And Venus & Mars was very solid too -- the slow slide downward begins after that.

BTW, the marathon began this AM with the "classic" we didn't get on Monday: a good 1969 set that included "Wishful Sinful" and Spiral Starecase. And I love Dave's commercial tag: "California Closets, the official closeteer of 10@10".  Funny, I thought KFOG's official closeteer was Tracy Chapman...

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2005, 07:51:14 PM »
Catching up on things here. Was off work yesterday and should have been en route to Yosemite by the time the set ran, but my faithful pooch put a spanner in those works. He's OK now, but we couldn't go off and leave him, and my bank account is much lighter, thank you.

Good set, but as with another set we've heard recently (can't recall which at the moment), I don't think there were any major nuggets or bustouts there--maybe the Isleys, and the ELO was a novelty at best, but nothing else.

Re the Tull show: I'm with the "too rich for my blood" contingent on that one. I'd seen that it was going on sale a few weeks back, but when I looked at the prices, I figured Ian must be tetched in the head. I might pay $45 for a good seat, but $80+screw charges? Nope, can't go there. That Plant show was my one big-ticket outing for the year, unless Springsteen comes back thru or something.

Hope everyone's out enjoying the fab weather today. I'm back at my desk on Monday. Hope we're ready for another week of classics (see my post in the KFOG but not 10@10 thread).

ETA: One more thing--Macca. I'd submit Letting Go is up there with Juniors Farm and some of the Venus and Mars stuff for great songs from Paulie's most prolific Wings period.

On the other hand, I'd LOVE to hear My Brave Face or even more so, Figure of Eight in an 89 or 90 set one of these days.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »
Quote from: "urth"
On the other hand, I'd LOVE to hear My Brave Face

I'm with ya there.  A wonderful single and a major recovery after most of his '80s stuff (esp his collabs with MJ)... and another inexplicable oughta-be-a-Morey-staple-so-why-isn't-it.

Gaz on da Road

1974 FRIDAY 9/9/05
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2005, 09:18:34 PM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "urth"
On the other hand, I'd LOVE to hear My Brave Face

I'm with ya there.  A wonderful single and a major recovery after most of his '80s stuff (esp his collabs with MJ)... and another inexplicable oughta-be-a-Morey-staple-so-why-isn't-it.

Hey.  Much love for "Say Say Say" and "Press" over here, y'alls.