Author Topic: 26 June 2013: it's... 1981  (Read 7678 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 26 June 2013: it's... ??
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 10:38:23 PM »
Yep. Just heard a hint that said "the year that gave us MTV." (Which is a hint they've used before more that once, I think.) Which means 1981, yes?
Some day they should use "the year MTV stopped playing music" (199?).

No, MTV was still playing videos in 1999, although perhaps not as many as earlier years.  I
recorded some that year.  They also had interesting programs with cultural commentary,
particularly their end-of-the-year wrap-ups.  I have some of those somewhere too.  I think
they did a lot of that in 1999 because it was the end of the millennium [sic].

I lost access/interest in MTV shortly after that, so I couldn't say exactly when videos
became extinct.  It had to be 2000 or later.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 26 June 2013: it's... 1981
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 10:43:17 PM »
Oy: didn't need red leather pants today. WOS Loverboy.
Given the surprising above-average-ness of last week's sets, I'd have to call this a disappointment today.
Can't say I disagree. A few OK songs (TomTom Club, Pretenders, Clash, Squeeze) but none of those are the best those artists did in '81.  And there's also a few songs that well represent the crap product that record companies were dishing out before "rock of the 80s" hit big the next year (Red Rider, ZZ Top, and -- ewww, yuck -- Loverboy). ZZ Top should particularly be ashamed of the "product" they became.

I like the Red Rider song, so I found this set divided right down the middle.  The first half was
good, although not particularly noteworthy.  The second half ranged from LN to yuck.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 26 June 2013: it's... 1981
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2013, 05:25:49 AM »
I will BOS the Pac Man Fever/Genius Of Love transition.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2013, 09:29:06 AM »
Yep. Just heard a hint that said "the year that gave us MTV." (Which is a hint they've used before more that once, I think.) Which means 1981, yes?

No, MTV was still playing videos in 1999, although perhaps not as many as earlier years. 

I will take your word for it.  In truth, like Billy Pilgrim, I'm a bit unstuck in time.  I have real issues remembering when things in the past occurred.  It's a definite liability around here, and if I were putting together 10@10s, I'd get more crap than Renee does.  Though they might be more interesting.  :P
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2013, 10:46:45 PM »
No, MTV was still playing videos in 1999, although perhaps not as many as earlier years. 
I will take your word for it.  In truth, like Billy Pilgrim, I'm a bit unstuck in time.  I have real issues remembering when things in the past occurred.  It's a definite liability around here, and if I were putting together 10@10s, I'd get more crap than Renee does.  Though they might be more interesting.  :P

I've been discovering the same thing myself, and it happened with this very exchange!

Two of the last videos I recorded from MTV were Cake's "Short Skirt/Long Jacket" and Fatboy Slim's
"Weapon of Choice."  I thought for sure that was in 1999.  I looked them up and was surprised
to see they were released in 2001.  So there you go.

Some past events are well-anchored by other milestones, like specific years in school, or starting
a new job.  Others... not so much.  It can be particularly troublesome with music, because I often
discover something years after it's been released.