Author Topic: 20 Feb 2013: it's... 1975  (Read 16522 times)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 20 Feb 2013: it's... 1975
« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2013, 10:50:27 AM »
DC is now the hero of 10@10, as any of the good sets these days seem to have his fingerprints on them. But maybe that's like giving Ben Bernanke credit for saving the economy after he was one of the main guys responsible for ruining it.

in all honesty, i think he's just cherry-picking old DM and AL sets, more often than not. He has taste but I don't know how heroic that is.

He's not a live-in-the-moment type of guy, then.
Slipping into something
And out of something else

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2013, 10:54:20 AM »
Renee if you ever play the Chaka Khan cover of "Love is Alive" I will surely faint.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 20, 2013, 10:56:16 AM »
DC is now the hero of 10@10, as any of the good sets these days seem to have his fingerprints on them. But maybe that's like giving Ben Bernanke credit for saving the he was one of the main guys responsible for ruining it.

in all honesty, i think he's just cherry-picking old DM and AL sets, more often than not. He has taste but I don't know how heroic that is.

No question, this set was cribbed from old DM setlists. Not a bustout in the bunch, and I'm guessing not much for the gang over at FB to bitch about (I haven't been over there yet to gauge the mood of the populace). So is this just DC tossing us a bone, to keep us interested and listening? 'Cause you know, for all the griping that goes on, no one seems to be tuning away (me included).
Let's get right to it.

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 20, 2013, 10:57:32 AM »
Per Renee, Zeppelin gets BOS.
Tuned to a natural E

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2013, 11:35:00 AM »
DC is now the hero of 10@10, as any of the good sets these days seem to have his fingerprints on them. But maybe that's like giving Ben Bernanke credit for saving the he was one of the main guys responsible for ruining it.

No question, this set was cribbed from old DM setlists. Not a bustout in the bunch, and I'm guessing not much for the gang over at FB to bitch about (I haven't been over there yet to gauge the mood of the populace). So is this just DC tossing us a bone, to keep us interested and listening? 'Cause you know, for all the griping that goes on, no one seems to be tuning away (me included).

RR may hate spreadsheets, but I'll bet DC has plenty. Remember, he's quite a stats/research geek. He probably knows what DM played and which songs won BOS and how often. 

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »

RR may hate spreadsheets, but I'll bet DC has plenty. Remember, he's quite a stats/research geek. He probably knows what DM played and which songs won BOS and how often.

Not to mention that "live for the moment" and "let's have nine of our ten songs be ones most don't ever want to hear again" don't necessarily jive.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 20, 2013, 12:14:11 PM »
1. KISS - Rock and Roll All Night
2. Ambrosia - Holdin' On To Yesterday
3. Fleetwood Mac - Over My Head
(News: One of the worst recessions in history)
4. Pink Floyd - Welcome To The Machine
(Movies: Jaws, Tommy, Shampoo)
5. Rocky Horror Picture Show - Time Warp
6. Led Zeppelin - Boogie With Stu
7. Steely Dan - Bad Sneakers
8. Gary Wright - Love Is Alive
(TV: SNL - Good evening. I would like to feed your fingertips to the Wolverines)
9. The Bee Gees - Jive Talking
10. Bruce Springsteen - Thunder Road

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 20, 2013, 06:14:12 PM »
My alternative 1975 playlist:

1. Jefferson Starship - Play On Love
 2. Linda Ronstadt - Faithless Love
 3. Fleetwood Mac - I'm So Afraid
 4. Major Harris - Love Won't Let Me Wait
 5. Ray Stevens - Misty
 6. Alice Cooper - Only Women Bleed
 7. Steely Dan - Rose Darling
 8. Ronnie Laws - Always There (from the album Pressure Sensitive)
 9. Faith, Hope & Charity - To Each His Own
10. Bruce Springsteen - Meeting Across The River

Plus six additional songs you could interchange with the above list:

1. Wings - Magneto And Titanium Man
 2. Ben E. King - Supernatural Love - Part I & II
 3. Fleetwood Mac - Blue Letter (45 mix)
 4. Al Green - Full Of Fire
 5. Chicago - Brand New Love Affair (Part I & II)
 6. The Manhattans - Don't Take Your Love

By the way, I heard RR handing off to DC today - apparently DC was out the past few days. Maybe that's why today's 10@10 sounded better than the previous few when he was off...
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 09:32:17 PM by CapnJack »
Tuned to a natural E

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 20, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »
By the way, I heard RR handing off to DC today - apparently DC was out the past few days. Maybe that's why today's 10@10 sounded better than the previous few when he was off...

Perhaps that's how RR got away with mailing in a rerun the other day. No one was there to ride herd on her.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 20, 2013, 07:44:35 PM »
My alternative 1975 playlist:

1. Jefferson Starship - Play On Love
 2. Linda Ronstadt - Faithless Love
 3. Fleetwood Mac - I'm So Afraid
 4. Major Harris - Love Won't Let Me Wait
 5. Ray Stevens - Misty
 6. Alice Cooper - Only Women Bleed
 7. Steely Dan - Rose Darling
 8. Ronnie Laws - Pressure Sensitive
 9. Faith, Hope & Charity - To Each His Own
10. Bruce Springsteen - Meeting Across The River

another swell lineup -- I requested "Misty" from AL nearly every time she did '75, to no avail. One of my favorite cover versions ever. And I just heard "To Each His Own" the other day -- You should check out JJ's '70s Soul Party on KPOO Sat nites at 10.

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 20, 2013, 10:34:46 PM »
One of the most annoying remakes of all time, Joan Osborne doing Gary Wright (and yes, Hits 106 played it):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r12k3uTtpEU

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 21, 2013, 05:25:57 AM »
This is the most commented-on thread since 8/31/2011, when "Local Music Extravaganza" generated over 100.