Author Topic: 28 March 2012: it's... 1989  (Read 10042 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 28 March 2012: it's... 1989
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2012, 10:51:25 AM »
BOS, Pixies.

But really, I'm about to join Gaz in ignoring 10 @ 10s.  Even the sets that I should really enjoy (like yesterday's '74) aren't adventerous enought to make worthwhile any more.

agree completely. If I were not already in a cubicle listening to streaming audio, I'd not be going outta my way.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Nate

• two bits
  • It's called "Internet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2012, 10:52:08 AM »
BOS: Kate Bush "Love and Anger", Kirsty Maccall

Biggest lost oppty: Pixies, De La Soul

Most offensive: Smithereens

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:51 AM »
BOS, Pixies.

But really, I'm about to join Gaz in ignoring 10 @ 10s.  Even the sets that I should really enjoy (like yesterday's '74) aren't adventerous enought to make worthwhile any more.

agree completely. If I were not already in a cubicle listening to streaming audio, I'd not be going outta my way.

It's weird... we had an awesome (to me) 1993 set just two days ago, and then this (actually it seems more LN than bad, but I suppose that's your point).

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2012, 11:05:20 AM »
4 songs, 4 LNs.  TFF sow some seeds.

this song bugged me back then and it still does.

Dude!  This is an awesome song!  But, an LN, nonetheless.  Couldn't listen today...hope she didn't overdo it on the When Harry Met Sally clips.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2012, 11:14:42 AM »
4 songs, 4 LNs.  TFF sow some seeds.

this song bugged me back then and it still does.

Dude!  This is an awesome song!  But, an LN, nonetheless.  Couldn't listen today...hope she didn't overdo it on the When Harry Met Sally clips.

clip-wise, she spread the love: DTRT, Dead Poets, WHMS.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2012, 11:30:37 AM »
BOS, Pixies.

same here.  I won't work too hard to listen to 10at10 anymore -- the romance has been long gone.  Predictable songs, predictable clips, predictable outcome.  Even the complaining we all do strikes the same chord again and again.  :)   

there are too many other stations and sites out there.

Quote from: sundaygal

yeah, it is, but there it is.  There's no accounting for tastes, I guess.
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2012, 12:02:37 PM »
Even the complaining we all do strikes the same chord again and again.

Human nature! The power of the internet... to draw out complaints that much faster.

That's one thing about the G-Snaps that's been a revelation - that the "Tier 2 10@10 fans" more or less feel the same as we do about repetiveness, overplayed KFOG artists, etc.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »

That's one thing about the G-Snaps that's been a revelation - that the "Tier 2 10@10 fans" more or less feel the same as we do about repetiveness, overplayed KFOG artists, etc.

Yes, it has done my heart good that twice in the past week I've gone to G-Snaps apres-set to find they were saying the same things. But at the same time I'm amazed that some of the geekiest of them -- people who complain the most about lack of variety and the like --- are requesting frequent-fliers all too often. It is a puzzlement!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:46 PM »
3/28/12- Wednesday! Roaming Back to...1989!

1.  XTC- Mayor of Simpleton
 2.  B 52's- Roam
(Movie: Do The Right Thing- DJ, Mr Senor Love Daddy (Samuel L Jackson) on the air!)
 3.  De La Soul- Me Myself and I
(News: The Czech "Velvet Revolution")
 4.  Tears for Fears- Sowing the Seeds of Love (B.O.S- 3-Way Tie)
(Movie: Do the Right Thing-the right hand-left hand battle of Love & Hate)
 5.  Kate Bush (W/David Gilmour) Love and Anger (B.O.S- 3-Way Tie)
 6.  The Cure Pictures of You
(Movie: Dead Poets Society- photos of former students/ Carpe Diem- Seize the day!)
 7.  Kirsty MacColl- Days
 8.  Replacements- Achin' To Be
(Movie: When Harry Met Sally- New year's Eve love proclamation)
 9.  The Smithereens- A Girl Like you
10.  The Pixies- Here Comes Your Man (B.O.S- 3-Way Tie)
(TV: Pee Wee Herman Show-secret word)

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2012, 11:35:16 PM »
The only thing worthwhile here are the Do the Right Thing clips.

Fight the Power was playing during one of them. Maybe that was AL's way of being subversive.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 11:40:13 PM by Here'sToYa! »
Slipping into something
And out of something else

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2012, 11:37:01 PM »
VHM Pixies, Here Comes Your Man

But can't she play something else from this album? Monkey Gone to Heaven? Gouge Away? Silver?

Debaser!
Slipping into something

Here'sToYa!

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2012, 11:54:40 PM »
BOS, Pixies.

same here.  I won't work too hard to listen to 10at10 anymore -- the romance has been long gone.  Predictable songs, predictable clips, predictable outcome.  Even the complaining we all do strikes the same chord again and again.  :)   

there are too many other stations and sites out there.

Y'all are making me depressed, even though I dropped out of the AL KFOG page and won't listen anymore when class is in session for the same reasons you mentioned (of course, the fact that listening during class time is totally unprofessional is a factor, too). Still, I missed work today to stay home with my common cold-ridden son, and it was a treat to listen, despite the suckiness of the setlist. I don't know. Maybe it's like spending time with your grandpa after he's gone senile.

BTW, IE, I originated the term "Foo." I'll uncover the original quote in a couple of minutes as proof. So yeah, royalties, George Harrison.
Slipping into something

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:49 AM »
BOS, Pixies.

But really, I'm about to join Gaz in ignoring 10 @ 10s.  Even the sets that I should really enjoy (like yesterday's '74) aren't adventurous enough to make worthwhile any more.

Mostly due to the demands of our company, I haven't been listening nearly as much for more than a year. It really pained me at first (when AL was still programming her own sets), but once The Switch happened it hasn't bugged me nearly as much to miss them. I still check in here when I can, but since even the "good" years yield so-so sets, the need to hear them just isn't there anymore.  Full disclosure: I still regularly listen to archived sets from the DM era when driving around making sales calls and deliveries, so still getting my fix one way or the other.
Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 05:18:36 AM »
Listened last night. Yeah, "Mayor Of Simpleton" and a few others are well-worn, to put it politely, but it was still a joy to listen to. Perhaps the operative phrase is "won't go out of my way".