Author Topic: 12 Oct 2011: It's... 1987  (Read 11058 times)

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Oct 2011: It's... 1987
« Reply #45 on: October 12, 2011, 11:19:38 AM »
I believe this was the year Bono tagged the fountain at Justin Herman Plaza.  Tosser.

Vaillancourt Fountain / D.A. Will Not Charge U2 Star in GraffitiCase
by Robert Popp 
FRIDAY 11/20/1987

The uproar over the graffiti spray painting of the Vaillancourt Fountain by an Irish rock star ended quietly yesterday, without criminal charges.

San Francisco District Attorney Arlo Smith said there was no malicious intent on the part of U2 lead singer Bono Hewson. The slogan "Stop the Traffic, Rock and Roll" has been cleaned off and Hewson has apologized, Smith said.

"Given these facts, " Smith said, "we would decline to charge anybody, under the same circumstances."

Hewson, who suddenly whipped out the spray can during a free rock concert at Justin Herman Plaza on November 11, apologized when San Francisco Mayor Dianne Feinstein became irritated and suggested that he be prosecuted the same as any other graffiti vandal.

Feinstein could not be reached for comment yesterday.

At U2's two concerts in Oakland during the weekend, Hewson brought out artist Armand Vaillancourt, who designed the waterfront sculpture. Vaillancourt supported Hewson's spraying as a work of art.

Smith issued his decision yesterday along with a letter of apology he had received from Hewson.

"I am sincerely sorry if my actions caused any inconvenience to the citizens or law enforcement forces in the city, " Hewson wrote.

"I think San Francisco is one of the most beautiful cities U2 has ever been asked to play.

"I would never want to deface it. Spraying Vaillancourt sculpture was a mistake. I regret that, but it was not meant as a malicious act, " Hewson continued.

He added, "I would also hope that the real street artists of San Francisco will not suffer because of a scrawler like me."

I regret not going to the free concert.  WTF was I thinking?  Maybe it's because I nearly drowned in that fountain when I was 6 or 7. 

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Oct 2011: It's... 1987
« Reply #46 on: October 12, 2011, 01:17:11 PM »
10/12/11 - Wednesday! Hazy Shades of 1987

(Movie: Wall Street - Gordon Gekko - Greed Is Good!)
  1. U2 - Bullet The Blue Sky
(News: Investment Advice)
  2. Julian Cope - World Shut Your Mouth
(Movie: Lost Boys-"death by stereo")
  3. INXS - Need You Tonight
  4. Echo & the Bunnymen - Lips Like Sugar
(Movie: Less Than Zero-Julian & Clay)
  5. The Bangles - Hazy Shade Of Winter
(Movie: Less Than Zero - Trailer)
  6. Pet Shop Boys - It's A Sin
(News: PTL Church scandal, Jim & Tammy Faye Bakker)
  7. Bruce Springsteen - Brilliant Disguise
(Movie: The Princess Bride - Mawwaige!)
  8. Jody Watley - Looking for a New Love
(Movie: Dirty Dancing)
  9. R.E.M. - The One I Love
(Movie: Fatal Attraction - "I'm not going to be ignored, Dan!" YIKES)
10. Husker Du - Could You Be The One BOS!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:27:20 PM by ggould »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 12 Oct 2011: It's... 1987
« Reply #47 on: October 12, 2011, 06:31:01 PM »
Just noticed we've been off for a day since Monday on our main subject lines.  I edited the first post of all three just to put us back on track!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: 13 Oct 2011: It's... 1987
« Reply #48 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »
Is this a "classic" set?   ::)

It does seem like we're listening to "Backtrax USA with Kid Kelly"....

Heh. There is somebody on the Pulse Hot AC board who posts the 80's and 90's set listings for that show each week. While I'm appreciative, I do note that the only time anybody has ever commented was me pondering why nobody ever else ever commented.