Author Topic: Happy B'day Ringo, 71  (Read 1874 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Happy B'day Ringo, 71
« on: July 07, 2010, 08:40:10 AM »
Ringo turns 70 today.  A lil' NY Times Q&A interview:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/06/arts/music/06ringo.html?_r=1
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 12:23:43 PM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: Happy B'day Ringo, 70
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 12:25:32 PM »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »
Email from a friend in NYC: Last Night Ringo and his All Starr Band played at Radio City Music Hall. It was virtually the same show as any other night on his 2010 Tour, HOWEVER, this was Ringo’s 70th birthday and the sold out show was filled with celebs in and out of the Beatles world.  The finale of With A Little Help From My Friends/Give Peace a Chance saw dozens of musicians join Ringo on stage as backup singers. Among them were Yoko, Peter Asher, Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, Little Steven, Nils Lofgren, Jim Keltner, Max Weinberg, Greg Lake, Gary Brooker, Richard Marx, Billy Squier, Colin Hay singing the extended finale. Then a huge cake was wheeled out in the shape of Ringo’s drum set and the entire audience sang Happy Birthday along with some of his grandchildren who came on stage with the cake. He said goodnight and left the stage, but I noticed the tech guys moving some gear on stage and then it appeared, under a dim light –THAT HOFNER BASS. At that moment fans knew what was happening. It was a total surprise for Ringo, as Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer, Joe Walsh came back on stage and then PAUL jogged out to center stage and ripped into Birthday.  Ringo ran on stage and headed for his drums. It was an unforgettable version with Paul turning around a number of times to glance at his former band mate. After the song, Ringo bopped over to Paul and they gave each other a big hug. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckCkqzo8JAM
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 11:49:32 AM by Wayback »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 12:33:07 PM »
Email from a friend in NYC: Last Night Ringo and his All Starr Band played at Radio City Music Hall. It was virtually the same show as any other night on his 2010 Tour, HOWEVER, this was Ringo’s 70th birthday and the sold out show was filled with celebs in and out of the Beatles world.  The finale of With A Little Help From My Friends/Give Peace a Chance saw dozens of musicians join Ringo on stage as backup singers. Among them were Yoko, Peter Asher, Jeff Lynne, Joe Walsh, Little Steven, Nils Lofgren, Jim Keltner, Max Weinberg, Greg Lake, Gary Brooker, Richard Marx, Billy Squier, Colin Hay singing the extended finale. Then a huge cake was wheeled out in the shape of Ringo’s drum set and the entire audience sang Happy Birthday along with some of his grandchildren who came on stage with the cake. He said goodnight and left the stage, but I noticed the tech guys moving some gear on stage and then it appeared, under a dim light –THAT HOFNER BASS. At that moment fans knew what was happening. It was a total surprise for Ringo, as Edgar Winter, Rick Derringer, Joe Walsh came back on stage and then PAUL jogged out to center stage and ripped into Birthday.  Ringo ran on stage and headed for his drums. It was an unforgettable version with Paul turning around a number of times to glance at his former band mate. After the song, Ringo bopped over to Paul and they gave each other a big hug. Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckCkqzo8JAM

WOW!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Re: Happy B'day Ringo, 71
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 12:23:07 PM »
The amiable, affable Ringo turns 71 today:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringo_Starr