Author Topic: Monday July 11 - it's 1986  (Read 6425 times)

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Monday July 11 - it's 1986
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2005, 10:29:04 AM »
I suppose I like Simple Minds more than anyone else here, but this gets my BOS #2 in a very non-competitive set.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2005, 10:32:15 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
BOS INXS -- I missed the interview with Dave Navarro, who was plugging the find-a-new-lead-singer-for-INXS reality show.  But Dave seemed quite horrified by the idea (as am I) and Greg had to admonish him not to pass judgment before the interview.

I heard the interview, interesting to learn that INXS has already auditioned many singers, and hadn't been satisfied, including...(wait for it Gaz)...Terrence Trent D'Arby!

Not a lot of other revelations.  Tonight is a reality based ep, all the wannabes living together.  Tomorrow is performance night & Wednesday is Get-the-Boot night.

fwiw, Listen Like Thieves was released in 1985.  "This Time" was relased as a single in 1985 & peaked at #81.  "What You Need" charted in 1986, but not this song.

(a) I tend to dislike reality TV generally (HMBOMT is a rare exception, since it make no bones about its own cheeziness).

(b) INXS was a great band. Mr Hutchence was a great singer. He's dead. If you want to replace him, fine, but to do it via what has become the cheeziest cliche of our time... well there goes yer rock'n'roll cred out the window, IMHO.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2005, 10:34:52 AM »
VHM VH

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2005, 10:38:46 AM »
They think he's a righteous dude!

quick, there was about 2 seconds of Yello's "Oh Yeah" at the end of the clip.  What other film of this year used that song?
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2005, 10:44:12 AM »
Mercifully short for an '86 set.

I think I'll pass on the bonus track (which means it'll be something great, I'm sure).

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2005, 10:53:24 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
BOS INXS -- I missed the interview with Dave Navarro, who was plugging the find-a-new-lead-singer-for-INXS reality show.  But Dave seemed quite horrified by the idea (as am I) and Greg had to admonish him not to pass judgment before the interview.

I heard the interview, interesting to learn that INXS has already auditioned many singers, and hadn't been satisfied, including...(wait for it Gaz)...Terrence Trent D'Arby!

Which may sound frightful on the surface -- but TTD sang the hell out of "Never Tear Us Apart."
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2005, 11:15:07 AM »

I think I'll pass on the bonus track (which means it'll be something great, I'm sure).

Nah, you're in the clear. Steve Winwood, Higher Love.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2005, 11:39:33 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Nah, you're in the clear. Steve Winwood, Higher Love.

Oh good -- actually it's a song I absolutely LOVED at the time (one of the best singles of the year, I thought) but which I don't need to hear more than once a year.