Author Topic: 5 Jan 2011: it's... 1985  (Read 10843 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 5 Jan 2011: it's... 1985
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2011, 10:49:46 AM »
unless we're "going to 11", no Lady T. Now I really *am* gobsmacked.  Did KFOG not have a copy of "Lovergirl"?  For shame.

Gotta say, this is the first time I've been truly disappointed at not getting a request -- I mean, it was overwhelmingly asked for, and that's not happened in the FB era.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2011, 10:52:03 AM »
unless we're "going to 11", no Lady T. Now I really *am* gobsmacked.  Did KFOG not have a copy of "Lovergirl"?  For shame.

Gotta say, this is the first time I've been truly disappointed at not getting a request -- I mean, it was overwhelmingly asked for, and that's not happened in the FB era.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 10:08:34 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2011, 10:52:46 AM »
another BOSFRA to X!  But unless we're "going to 11", no Lady T. Now I really *am* gobsmacked.  Did KFOG not have a copy of "Lovergirl"?  For shame.

well, we must acknowledge that KFOG would not come anywhere near Teena Marie when she was alive and kickingg, and to hear her here (!) would just be gobsmackingly weird  - in a good way - it would turn the 10 at 10 set into a Jack FM session.

Also, maybe AL just plain isn't into her.

I don't know.... she's played Frankie Smith, Sir Mix-A-Lot and Arrested Development amongst others. You wouldn't think playing Teena Marie, especially in light of her death, would be that big of a deal ("Lovergirl" was in fact a top ten pop hit).

I'm guessing they didn't have a copy, and don't have the means to play it online. Or something. Or maybe they just goofed.

EDIT: Or perhaps the album was actually released in 1984, although everybody considers the song to belong to 1985. It's happened before.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 10:54:30 AM by Swellegant »

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
another BOSFRA to X!  But unless we're "going to 11", no Lady T. Now I really *am* gobsmacked.  Did KFOG not have a copy of "Lovergirl"?  For shame.

well, we must acknowledge that KFOG would not come anywhere near Teena Marie when she was alive and kickingg, and to hear her here (!) would just be gobsmackingly weird  - in a good way - it would turn the 10 at 10 set into a Jack FM session.

I don't know.... she's played Frankie Smith, Sir Mix-A-Lot and Arrested Development amongst others. You wouldn't think playing Teena Marie, especially in light of her death, would be that big of a deal ("Lovergirl" was in fact a top ten pop hit).

I'm guessing they didn't have a copy, and don't have the means to play it online. Or something. Or maybe they just goofed.

EDIT: Or perhaps the album was actually released in 1984, although everybody considers the song to belong to 1985. It's happened before.

when 81 comes around, let's lobby for Square Biz
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2011, 11:15:06 AM »

and "Nightshift" is every bit as much a "non-KFOG" pop record as "Lovergirl".  Seemed esp weird to play a song about dead singers and ignore the dead singer everyone wanted to hear.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2011, 11:22:25 AM »

Whoa.  I was interrupted and couldn't listen to the end of the set, but fully expected AL to end with Lovergirl.  It's a good song and worthy of an appearance at 10@10 regardless of Teena Marie's passing.  Just sayin'.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2011, 11:26:20 AM by sundaygal »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2011, 12:17:40 PM »
AL saw my comment on FB and explained that she "came close" to seggging from "Nightshift" to "Lovergirl" but they were both on the same CD that she burned at home for use this morning. So she says she'll play it in the next '84 set (tho' I suspect we should remind her). It's one of those on-the-cusp-of-2-years songs in any case; a (very) late-'84 release. Whatevs.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2011, 01:15:07 PM »
AL saw my comment on FB and explained that she "came close" to seggging from "Nightshift" to "Lovergirl" but they were both on the same CD that she burned at home for use this morning. So she says she'll play it in the next '84 set (tho' I suspect we should remind her). It's one of those on-the-cusp-of-2-years songs in any case; a (very) late-'84 release. Whatevs.

Well, it's good she responded. I wonder if in retrospect she regrets playing "Nightshift" in its stead.

sundaygal

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2011, 03:40:00 PM »

when 81 comes around, let's lobby for Square Biz

Maybe AL will play it if you request it in your robot voice.   ;)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2011, 10:07:23 AM »
1/5/11- Wednesday!! Midweek in the Middle of the 80's- 1985!!

1.  Howard Jones- Things Can Only Get Better
 2.  OMD- So In Love With You
(TV: Moonlighting)
 3.  Pete Townshend- Face The Face
(Movie: Back To The Future)
 4.  Yello- Oh Yeah
(TV: Golden Girls)
 5.  New Order- Perfect Kiss
 6.  The Cure- In Between Days
(News: Rock Hudson dies/House agrees to double AIDS funding)
 7.  The Commodores- Nightshift
  8.  Scritti Politti- Perfect Way
 9.  The Hoodoo Gurus- Bittersweet
(Ronald Reagan- Go Ahead-Make My Day)
10. X- Burning House Of Love (BOS!!!)
~CPL593H~