Author Topic: 21 Dec 2010: it's... Winter  (Read 9711 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 21 Dec 2010: it's... Winter
« Reply #45 on: December 21, 2010, 02:29:41 PM »
12/21/10- Tuesday!! 10@10 Welcomes Winter !!!

1.  Jethro Tull- Ring Out, Solstice Bells
 2.  Dream Academy- Life In A Northern Town
 3.  Steve Miller Band- Winter Time
 4.  Mamas & Papas- California Dreamin'
 5.  Rolling Stones- Winter
 6.  Joni Mitchell- River
 7.  Blood Sweat & Tears- Sometimes In Winter (BOS-Tie!)
 8.  Matt Costa- Cold December
 9.  Frank Zappa- Don't Eat The Yellow Snow (BOS-Tie!)
10. Bangles- A Hazy Shade Of Winter

Kinda surprised we didn't get an "extra" or 2 today; the Zappa track was barely half the song. Still, one of the more inspired theme sets we've had in the AL era.

Here's my personal long-out-of-print extra: Jesse Winchester, "Snow"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EEnfFe9qn0

« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 02:33:21 PM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 21, 2010, 10:37:20 PM »
Listening to the replay, as I missed the airing this morning. No question this has been a superb set. Seven songs in, I score it 4 BOSes and 2 VHMs. The jury's still out on the BS&T song, which I don't think I've ever heard before, so it potentially gets a BOSFRA.

Anyone else detect the warmth of vinyl on the Stones tune, or just a lousy mastering job?

This show is reminding me of a show Vin Scelsa did a number of years ago on the first day of winter, with a similar vibe. I think the Stones and Joni songs were part of that show, too.

The Matt Costa song gets a "meh" from me. It's got the proper lyrical sentiment, but just not digging it so much.

Wow, you guys weren't kidding. That segue from Don't Eat Yellow Snow to Hazy Shade of Winter was brutal. Not even being awarded co-BOS in the popular voting could make up for that.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 10:50:26 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 22, 2010, 11:17:06 AM »
This show is reminding me of a show Vin Scelsa did a number of years ago on the first day of winter, with a similar vibe. I think the Stones and Joni songs were part of that show, too.

I searched for the Winter set that Ginger did some years back -- but to no avail. Can't recall what year it was but at least half of AL's set was heard in Ginger's.  I miss her version of 10@10.

urth, what's that song about walking around in the snow -- very Kinks-ish but not by them? I recall Scelsa playing it a year or 2 ago.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 11:19:00 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 22, 2010, 10:07:45 PM »
urth, what's that song about walking around in the snow -- very Kinks-ish but not by them? I recall Scelsa playing it a year or 2 ago.

I kind of remember what you're talking about, can't recall exactly what band or song you mean. I need a little more of a hint to jog my admittedly spotty memory.
Let's get right to it.