Author Topic: 12 Aug 2010: it's... 1973  (Read 6653 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Aug 2010: it's... 1973
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2010, 10:43:37 AM »
YES!  BOS Top Of The World - The Carpenters!!! :)

is it wrong to think that her voice is like delicious vanilla flavored honey that I will eventually vomit out of my system?

::)
I hope you don't think that way.  I try not to.

Now we have to work on getting AL to play Shonen Knife's cover of this in a '95 set
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2010, 10:48:07 AM »
YES!  BOS Top Of The World - The Carpenters!!! :)

is it wrong to think that her voice is like delicious vanilla flavored honey that I will eventually vomit out of my system?

::)
I hope you don't think that way.  I try not to.

I do always think of the tragedy when I think of her, but I also like their music.  My stepfather had a couple of their albums and I recall him setting up one of their gatefold album covers on display as the record was on the turntable.  Like in a record store when they show what is "Now Playing."

I also think of how American they were, in a good way.  Downey is kind of gross, I've been there once and didn't find their house, but it still has the oldest continuously-operating McDonald's restaurant.  lots of yellow smoggy skies, I recall.  
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:51:38 AM by Tinka_Cat »
~CPL593H~

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2010, 10:52:48 AM »
YES!  BOS Top Of The World - The Carpenters!!! :)
From Wiki, FYI: The song topped the Billboard Hot 100 in 1973, becoming the Carpenter's second U.S. number-one single. Originally intended to be only an album cut for the Carpenters, Lynn Anderson covered the song, her version reached #2 on the U.S. country singles charts in mid-1973. The success of Anderson's version prompted the Carpenters to release a new version as a single, where it topped the U.S. pop singles chart. Karen Carpenter  re-recorded the song for the band's first compilation as she was not quite satisfied with the original. Brother Richard Carpenter has remixed the song's vocals, most recently for their 35th Anniversary Gold compilation.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2010, 11:00:26 AM »
I do always think of the tragedy when I think of her, but I also like their music.  My stepfather had a couple of their albums and I recall him setting up one of their gatefold album covers on display as the record was on the turntable.  Like in a record store when they show what is "Now Playing."

I also think of how American they were, in a good way.  Downey is kind of gross, I've been there once and didn't find their house, but it still has the oldest continuously-operating McDonald's restaurant.  lots of yellow smoggy skies, I recall. 

Well, they *were* Nixon's favorite "rock group", after all...

I have a 2-CD anthol that A&M put out in the '90s -- every charted single except "Solitaire", for some odd reason -- and it's great Sunday-morning music.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 11:02:25 AM by RGMike »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2010, 12:36:22 PM »
8/12/10-Thursday!! Back in Time to...Super '73!!

1.  Alice Cooper- No More Mr Nice Guy
(Movie: Dirty Harry)
 2.  Elton John- All The Young Girls Love Alice
(Ad: Wolfman for Rolling Stones Goat's Head Soup)
 3.  Rolling Stones- Dancing With Mr. D
 4.  Dr Hook & The Medicine Show- The Cover Of 'Rolling Stone'
 5.  Mott The Hoople- Honaloochie Boogie
(TV: Odd Couple Oscar makes breakfast)
 6.  Peter Frampton- Do You Feel Like We Do
(News: Middle East Unrest)
 7.  Todd Rundgren- Sometimes I Don't Know What To Feel
 8.  Al Green- Here I Am (Come and Take Me)
(TV: Mary Tyler Moore)
 9.  The Carpenters- Top Of The World (BOS!!)
10.  Paul Simon- Kodachrome

Karen & Richard win BOS! Nixon was a Foghead!