Author Topic: The Peak, 11/25/09: 1982  (Read 2128 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Peak, 11/25/09: 1982
« on: November 25, 2009, 07:35:56 AM »
It's the Euro-theater!  On the New Frontier!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: The Peak, 11/25/09: 1982
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 07:43:41 AM »
VERY sorry to have missed the Monroes' fantabulous New Wave OHW "What Do All The People Know" as well as Jackson Browne's pop peak, "Somebody's Baby" and the great cover of "Ride Your Pony" by the Fleshtones.  This one's worth catching on the replay.

OMGWTFLOL!  Captain Sensible! "Wot" -- an ATBB and I surely have not heard this in ages. uber-BOS-of-the-Month!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 10:43:10 AM »
OMGWTFLOL!  Captain Sensible! "Wot" -- an ATBB and I surely have not heard this in ages. uber-BOS-of-the-Month!

I'd never heard of this until now.  Yikes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pqC563bX_w
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 10:48:56 AM »

I'd never heard of this until now.  Yikes:

It's weird, I'll admit.  But it was one of those so-stupid-I-love-it alt-radio novelities at the time. He also, as you may know, did a cover of "Happy Talk" from South Pacific that was a *huge* hit in the UK.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »
OMGWTFLOL!  Captain Sensible! "Wot" -- an ATBB and I surely have not heard this in ages. uber-BOS-of-the-Month!

I'd never heard of this until now.  Yikes:

It's weird, I'll admit.  But it was one of those so-stupid-I-love-it alt-radio novelities at the time. He also, as you may know, did a cover of "Happy Talk" from South Pacific that was a *huge* hit in the UK.

per AMG:

Best known as a co-founder (with Chris Miller aka Rat Scabies) of the punk band the Damned, Raymond Burns, aka Captain Sensible, is one of the most beguiling and talented individuals to emerge from the punk era. Ironically, he never sought a separate career from that of the Damned, but success with a series of singles, coupled with extended periods of inactivity by the band, made it a foregone conclusion that he would become a star in his own right.

In the early 1980s, Captain Sensible put together a group of his own called King, which lasted all of three months before breaking up. He later sang on the single "Jet Boy Jet Girl"*.

*hav eany of you ever heard JBJG? 
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 01:38:17 PM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 01:52:25 PM »
OMGWTFLOL!  Captain Sensible! "Wot" -- an ATBB and I surely have not heard this in ages. uber-BOS-of-the-Month!

I'd never heard of this until now.  Yikes:

It's weird, I'll admit.  But it was one of those so-stupid-I-love-it alt-radio novelities at the time. He also, as you may know, did a cover of "Happy Talk" from South Pacific that was a *huge* hit in the UK.

per AMG:

Best known as a co-founder (with Chris Miller aka Rat Scabies) of the punk band the Damned, Raymond Burns, aka Captain Sensible, is one of the most beguiling and talented individuals to emerge from the punk era. Ironically, he never sought a separate career from that of the Damned, but success with a series of singles, coupled with extended periods of inactivity by the band, made it a foregone conclusion that he would become a star in his own right.

In the early 1980s, Captain Sensible put together a group of his own called King, which lasted all of three months before breaking up. He later sang on the single "Jet Boy Jet Girl"*.

*hav eany of you ever heard JBJG? 

Yes! but it's been years. Never knew that was him.  (for the uninitiated, "JBJG" was an English lyric sung to tune of "Ca Plane Pour Moi")

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »

Yes! but it's been years. Never knew that was him.  (for the uninitiated, "JBJG" was an English lyric sung to tune of "Ca Plane Pour Moi")

...and the comparable lyric that replaced 'Ca plane pour moi' was 'He gave me head!'
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:10:40 PM »

...and the comparable lyric that replaced 'Ca plane pour moi' was 'He gave me head!'

indeed, I remember being floored at hearing it on the radio back then. According to Wiki, the orig "JBJG" came first -- in 1977 by Elton Motello (still love that name) -- and Plastic Bertrand's version was new French lyrics sung over the orig backing track.  But I didn't hear "JBJG" until several years after "Ca Plane".