Author Topic: The Drive, 9/24/09: 1977  (Read 1200 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Drive, 9/24/09: 1977
« on: September 24, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »
Bob Marley - Jammin' 
R.E.O. Speedwagon - Riding the Storm Out (live) 
James Taylor - Your Smiling Face 
Steve Miller - Jungle Love 
Cheap Trick - So Good To See You 
Billy Joel - Only the Good Die Young 
Styx - Fooling Yourself 
Foreigner - Long Long Way From Home 
Commodores - Brick House 
Fleetwood Mac - You Make Loving Fun

proxy of shray for live REO; the Cheap Trick is an ATBB methinks.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: The Drive, 9/24/09: 1977
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 11:19:53 AM »

the Cheap Trick is an ATBB methinks.

I bet it is -- and fine one at that.  Their first four records (Cheap Trick, In Color, Heaven Tonight and At Budokan) belong in any respectable pop/rock collection.  I've seen them 3x since '99, and the first time was when they did an "album show" for In Color, playing all the songs in order.  It's become quite the thing now.  See Steely Dan's upcoming tour.)
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »

I bet it is -- and fine one at that.  Their first four records (Cheap Trick, In Color, Heaven Tonight and At Budokan) belong in any respectable pop/rock collection.  I've seen them 3x since '99, and the first time was when they did an "album show" for In Color, playing all the songs in order.  It's become quite the thing now.  See Steely Dan's upcoming tour.)

Was that at the Music Hall? They did each of the first three records on successive nights (followed by selected songs from other albums each night). Gotta say, the third night was my favorite, but In Color wasn't too far behind. Both great records, although the mix on In Color is kinda lacking, imo. Have you heard the Steve Albini re-recorded version of IC? It's better, but still not great.
Let's get right to it.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2009, 09:53:55 PM »

Was that at the Music Hall? They did each of the first three records on successive nights (followed by selected songs from other albums each night). Gotta say, the third night was my favorite, but In Color wasn't too far behind. Both great records, although the mix on In Color is kinda lacking, imo. Have you heard the Steve Albini re-recorded version of IC? It's better, but still not great.

Yes, it was at GAMH, and It was actually Sept of 98, not 99.  I wasn't a huge fan back then, or else I would have gone to more than just the one show.  But I did get a Rick Nielsen pick that night -- I think everyone got one, actually, the dude chucks them out by the handful.  I saw then @ GAMH a few years later, then once more in 2007 at the Sonoma-Marin Fair.  I have a pick from each show, too!  wheau-heau!

Yes, we have all three of those remastered extended versions.   you're right,  In Color is much improved.
~CPL593H~