Author Topic: 10 Oct 2008: 1970  (Read 11404 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 10 Oct 2008: 1970
« Reply #45 on: October 10, 2008, 11:32:39 AM »
OMGWTFLOL!!! BOS5 Laura Nyro feat LaBelle, "Up on the Roof".  Glorious.

I haven't looked yet, but I think we can safely say this is a bustout. Major league BOS.

An aside to this, I just finished reading "There's Always Magic In the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era" by Ken Emerson. A little dry at times but still an interesting read, but it follows the whole Brill Building/1650 Broadway cast of songwriters from their youth all the way to about 1970, with lots of info on Aldon Music (Don Kirshner) and Hill and Range (another big publisher), too. Man the research that must have gone into this is just amazing. Leiber and Stoller, Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, Bacharach and David, Sedaka and Greenfield, they're all here. Mike, Gaz, I particularly recomment this to both of you if you haven't read it already.

http://www.amazon.com/Always-Magic-Air-Brilliance-Building/dp/0143037773/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223661604&sr=1-2

Holy crap! I just bought it (in hardcover) for a penny (plus handling) -- thanks!!

Quite possibly the best deal you'll ever get. Hope you like!

Amazon can be truly amazing -- that's not the first 1-cent book I've bought.  Couple years ago, after reading Chabon's great Kavalier & Clay, I was reading his acknowledgements, and he mentioned a book called The Gay Metropolis, a history of gay culture in NYC from the '20s to the '90s, which he said was invaluable to him in researching the gay-in-the-'40s and '50s parts of K&C. And there it was on Amazon for a penny. And it's one of the most interesting books I've ever read.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2008, 03:36:16 PM »

I haven't looked yet, but I think we can safely say this is a bustout. Major league BOS.

An aside to this, I just finished reading "There's Always Magic In the Air: The Bomp and Brilliance of the Brill Building Era" by Ken Emerson. A little dry at times but still an interesting read, but it follows the whole Brill Building/1650 Broadway cast of songwriters from their youth all the way to about 1970, with lots of info on Aldon Music (Don Kirshner) and Hill and Range (another big publisher), too. Man the research that must have gone into this is just amazing. Leiber and Stoller, Doc Pomus and Mort Shuman, Carole King and Gerry Goffin, Barry Mann and Cynthia Weil, Jeff Barry and Ellie Greenwich, Bacharach and David, Sedaka and Greenfield, they're all here. Mike, Gaz, I particularly recomment this to both of you if you haven't read it already.

http://www.amazon.com/Always-Magic-Air-Brilliance-Building/dp/0143037773/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1223661604&sr=1-2

Holy crap! I just bought it (in hardcover) for a penny (plus handling) -- thanks!!

Well, at least you didn't overspend! Quite possibly the best deal you'll ever get. Hope you like!

ETA: And here's a bit of trivia for MShray that I learned from this book: Did you know that Mike Stoller and his wife were passengers on the Andrea Doria when it sunk? Man, what popular music would have missed if he'd gone down with the ship!

That is simply the Most Awesome Piece of Trivia EVER!!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2008, 10:06:07 PM »

Well, at least you didn't overspend! Quite possibly the best deal you'll ever get. Hope you like!

ETA: And here's a bit of trivia for MShray that I learned from this book: Did you know that Mike Stoller and his wife were passengers on the Andrea Doria when it sunk? Man, what popular music would have missed if he'd gone down with the ship!

That is simply the Most Awesome Piece of Trivia EVER!!

I had never heard of the Andrea Doria or its calamity before this post.  Thank you!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Andrea_Doria
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2008, 11:01:07 PM »

Carole King's fairly recent live performance is very similar, and I enjoyed playing it post-set tonight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MopbhuZ2Bh0&feature=related
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #49 on: October 12, 2008, 10:22:39 PM »
wow, D&D Little Wing, and no BOS?

10/10/08 – FRIDAY!!!  Back, back, back to…1970!!!

1.  Chicago – 25 or 6 to 4
2.  Grand Funk – I’m  Your Captain/Closer to Home (BEST OF SET!!)
3.  Neil Young – After the Gold Rush
4.  Derek & the Dominos – Little Wing
5. Velvet Underground – Rock & Roll
6.  Crow – Cottage Cheese
7.  Alive & Kickin’ – Tighter Tighter
8.  Laura Nyro – Up On the Roof
9.  Kinks – Apeman
10. Blood, Sweat & Tears – Lucretia Mac Evil

BONUS TRACK:  Joni Mitchell - California
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 13, 2008, 07:43:11 AM »
wow, D&D Little Wing, and no BOS?

10/10/08 – FRIDAY!!!  Back, back, back to…1970!!!

1.  Chicago – 25 or 6 to 4
2.  Grand Funk – I’m  Your Captain/Closer to Home (BEST OF SET!!)
3.  Neil Young – After the Gold Rush
4.  Derek & the Dominos – Little Wing
5. Velvet Underground – Rock & Roll
6.  Crow – Cottage Cheese
7.  Alive & Kickin’ – Tighter Tighter
8.  Laura Nyro – Up On the Roof
9.  Kinks – Apeman
10. Blood, Sweat & Tears – Lucretia Mac Evil

BONUS TRACK:  Joni Mitchell - California

great bonus track, but it's from the wrong year (Blue was released in '71).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round