Author Topic: Popstrology  (Read 12620 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Popstrology
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2005, 09:47:02 PM »
(I'd never seen the "Benelux" contraction before.  I like!)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
ABBA rocks!
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2005, 10:42:38 PM »
how lucky to be born under the sign of "Dancing Queen!"
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Popstrology
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 11:25:07 PM »
And now we close out our week of Popstrology with a St. Stupid's Day look at the Sign of Gaz:

12/15/72: Billy Paul, "Me & Mrs. Jones"

(Ed. note: This song did not actually rise #1 until Dec. 16.  But I'll play by their rules.)

Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's wife, unless you really, really love her.

Considering the number of somebody-done-somebody-wrong songs in the history of pop music, it's amazing how few of them have been told from the perspective of the wrongdoer.  Songs about the innocent victims of sexual infidelity are a dime a dozen in the pop canon, but until Billy Paul did it in 1972, not one star in the popstrological firmament had ever been rewarded with a #1 hit for actually owning up to committing the mortal sin of adultery.  But the popstrological significance of your Birthstar may not be exactly what you think, and it's certainly different from that of stars like the Manhattans and Mary McGregor, who followed Billy Paul's confessional example in the years to come.  For while "Me and Mrs. Jones" does describe an extramarital affair, it seems to describe one that might just be more genuinely hopeful and fulfilling than either of the relationships it threatens to upset.  And while it's very easy for all of us to click our tongues and agree that it's just plain bad to be sexually unfaithful, how many of us would have good reason to hesitate before casting the first stone at Billy Paul?  Indeed, your Birthstar is regarded by the nonjudgemental science of Popstrology as the patron saint of *potentially great relationships that begin in inappropriate circumstances*.  So does this give you some kind of free pass on philandering, child of Billy Paul?  If you're true to your Birthstar, you already know the answer to that question, and you'll only go looking for *true* love in all the wrong places.

Star Traits: Forgotten; Minor; Mas Mucho Soul, Kinda Fresh, Sorta Sexy

Constellation: So-Soul

No celeb b-dates.

Mike & Geoff: Sorry the book doesn't cover you two.  Ali: I can do this for you if I get your birth year.  Anyone else: Stop lurking and say hi!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
memory of this song
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 08:46:58 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
And now we close out our week of Popstrology with a St. Stupid's Day look at the Sign of Gaz:

12/15/72: Billy Paul, "Me & Mrs. Jones"
Some friends of mine had a rock band that somehow got a gif for a Junior High dance in Daly City at the time.  The band (Running Dog) was a pretty basic rock band of the day, doing Stones, Beatles, Dead stuff, etc.  All I remember from the gig is how the students kept requesting "Me and Mrs. Jones!"

what a mismatch!  So, everytime I  hear this song, that memory pops up!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Popstrology
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 09:28:17 AM »
Considering the number of somebody-done-somebody-wrong songs in the history of pop music, it's amazing how few of them have been told from the perspective of the wrongdoer.  Songs about the innocent victims of sexual infidelity are a dime a dozen in the pop canon, but until Billy Paul did it in 1972, not one star in the popstrological firmament had ever been rewarded with a #1 hit for actually owning up to committing the mortal sin of adultery.

Surely that can't be right, can it? I'm wracking my brain. God knows DOZENS of cheatin' songs have been #1 on the country chart, an irony I've always cherished, since the C&W crowd is always espousing "traditional values"...
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Popstrology
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2005, 09:32:40 AM »
"Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor.
nakes? On my plane?

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
Popstrology
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2005, 09:33:50 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Considering the number of somebody-done-somebody-wrong songs in the history of pop music, it's amazing how few of them have been told from the perspective of the wrongdoer.  Songs about the innocent victims of sexual infidelity are a dime a dozen in the pop canon, but until Billy Paul did it in 1972, not one star in the popstrological firmament had ever been rewarded with a #1 hit for actually owning up to committing the mortal sin of adultery.

Surely that can't be right, can it? I'm wracking my brain. God knows DOZENS of cheatin' songs have been #1 on the country chart, an irony I've always cherished, since the C&W crowd is always espousing "traditional values"...

It's the POV that's rare, though.  The third party.  Like Robert Cray's "Strong Persuader."

She was right next door
And I'm such a strong persuader
She was just another notch on my guitar
Now she's gonna lose the man that really loves her
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Popstrology
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2005, 09:43:37 AM »
Quote from: "Beej"
"Torn Between Two Lovers" by Mary MacGregor.

actually, I don't think that song mentions anyone being married, does it? and it came after Billy Paul. But it WAS #1.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Beej

• kiloposter
    • View Profile
Popstrology
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2005, 09:51:37 AM »
actually, I don't think that song mentions anyone being married, does it? and it came after Billy Paul.

But it WAS #1.

At least I got something right.
nakes? On my plane?