Author Topic: 15 May 2008: it's 1983  (Read 10555 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 15 May 2008: it's 1983
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2008, 10:46:55 AM »
I KNEW IT!!!!
No way the CA constitution can allow restriction of marriage, period. 
I've long suspected that within my generation's lifetime, America will dissolve into an aggregation of 50 (or so) unified but autonomous nation-states ... and wonder if gay marriage will be one of the issues that propels us in that direction.
We now await Obama, Hillary, McCain's take on the CA court reversal.

There's a comment to the SFGate article that says the writer is apprehensive just because of the firestorm this issue created in the last election year, and what it might do this time around.  He has a point--California's one thing, but the fundies in the midwest and elsewhere are not going to take kindly to this.

WOS Mr. Roboto.

No one is more anti-gay marriage than the black church generally (although not Rev. Wright).  It will be very tricky for Obama to support this at all (at least overtly) without alienating a large chunk of the black vote.  Unless of course he takes the high road and challenges black leaders from the church to change their stance.

do not even GET. ME. STARTED on black people and Jeezus.  >:(  >:(  >:(
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2008, 10:54:38 AM »
Did you stay on KFOG after the set?  Peter came back with more details & the Governator has already stated that A) he will uphold the Supreme Court ruling and B) more importantly, he does NOT support an ammendment to the State Constitution that would reverse this.

You Go Arnold!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2008, 11:01:38 AM »
Did you stay on KFOG after the set?  Peter came back with more details & the Governator has already stated that A) he will uphold the Supreme Court ruling and B) more importantly, he does NOT support an ammendment to the State Constitution that would reverse this.

You Go Arnold!

Wow. I didn't vote for him, but that's impressive.  Will be interesting, then, to see what McCain and the nat'l GOP say -- if that thing gets on the ballot, and Ah-nuld stumps for Johnny boy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2008, 11:06:06 AM »
I KNEW IT!!!!
No way the CA constitution can allow restriction of marriage, period. 
I've long suspected that within my generation's lifetime, America will dissolve into an aggregation of 50 (or so) unified but autonomous nation-states ... and wonder if gay marriage will be one of the issues that propels us in that direction.
We now await Obama, Hillary, McCain's take on the CA court reversal.

There's a comment to the SFGate article that says the writer is apprehensive just because of the firestorm this issue created in the last election year, and what it might do this time around.  He has a point--California's one thing, but the fundies in the midwest and elsewhere are not going to take kindly to this.

WOS Mr. Roboto.

No one is more anti-gay marriage than the black church generally (although not Rev. Wright).  It will be very tricky for Obama to support this at all (at least overtly) without alienating a large chunk of the black vote.  Unless of course he takes the high road and challenges black leaders from the church to change their stance.

I hadn't considered this angle at all; thank you for bringing it up.  It adequately explains Obama's relative silence on this subject - and I'm happy to let it lie dormant until after he's in office, if that's necessary for him to win it.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2008, 12:02:09 PM »

I hadn't considered this angle at all; thank you for bringing it up.  It adequately explains Obama's relative silence on this subject - and I'm happy to let it lie dormant until after he's in office, if that's necessary for him to win it.

I called my folks with the news & we spent some time talking about this.  According to them Obama has stated in the past that he does not support same sex unions being called marriage, and if that's accurate then one can extrapolate the rest of his position...up to to the states to determine what benefits & legal protections, same sex unions do get, but it won't include a marriage license.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2008, 10:24:04 PM »
this is why I got burned out on The Police

05/15/2008 - Thursday! With a little time spent in...1983!!

1.   Wire Train - Chamber of Hellos      
2.   Talking Heads - Swamp      
3.   Big Country - In a Big Country      
4.   Police - Synchronicity 1      
5.   Police - Synchronicity 2      
6.   ATF - Der Kommissar      
7.   Genesis - Home By the Sea (BEST OF SET!!)      
8.   Styx - Mr. Roboto (BEST OF SET!!)      
9.   Dave Edmunds - Slipping Away      
10.   Plimsouls - A Million Miles Away      

BONUS TRACK:  The Call - The Walls Came Down

Don't stand in the way of LOVE!