Author Topic: The Drive, 5/9/07: 1974  (Read 3664 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
The Drive, 5/9/07: 1974
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 08:35:42 AM »
Frankly, I think EC shot the deputy too.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 08:39:33 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
if you're easy at fishin' you can be a musician...

BOS BTO TCB  (I like writing that!)

BTO TCB Jinx!

BOS2 Ms King, singing to her Maidenform bra one mo' time. And the Gaz Man's testifyin'!

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 08:40:57 AM »
In 1974 I was in 7th grade & we had this really hip music teacher, Ms. Mickens, who was black in a lily white school district, and she subscribed to some kind of Pop music eduation prgram where every week she'd get a just-released 45, along with score for her & lyric sheets for us, and we'd practice them as part of our class every Thursday.

Among those songs was Cat man's "Another Saturday Night".

Other songs we did included America "Lonely People", OMD "Jackie Blue", Elton "Bennie & The Jets" & Neil Sedaka "The Immigrant".
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 08:42:36 AM »
a faithless man believes...that Carole King gets the last BOS of the hour.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 08:45:01 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
Quote from: "Gazoo"
WOS to one of my least-favorite covers (and to my perspective, one of the most cynical): "Another Caturday Night."

cynical? in what way?

In the sense of going WAY out of character to score a hit with a cover-by-numbers.  Just seemed like a record exec's idea: "Hey, Cat, we need some new product to push this greatest-hits set, why don'tcha work up this happy song?"

No fewer than 4 covers in this set, by my count: GFR, Cat, Crapton, and Iggles.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 08:46:12 AM »
In 1974 I was in 7th grade & we had this really hip music teacher, Ms. Mickens, who was black in a lily white school district, and she subscribed to some kind of Pop music eduation prgram where every week she'd get a just-released 45, along with score for her & lyric sheets for us, and we'd practice them as part of our class every Thursday.

Other songs we did included America "Lonely People", OMD "Jackie Blue", Elton "Bennie & The Jets" & Neil Sedaka "The Immigrant".

Hip teachers rule!  Did you discuss the fact that "The Immigrant" was about John Lennon?

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 08:49:51 AM »

Hip teachers rule!  Did you discuss the fact that "The Immigrant" was about John Lennon?

Don't recall that, mostly we were learning how to sing 4-part harmony.  Don't think I have heard that song since.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 08:55:29 AM »
WOS to one of my least-favorite covers (and to my perspective, one of the most cynical): "Another Caturday Night."

cynical? in what way?

In the sense of going WAY out of character to score a hit with a cover-by-numbers.  Just seemed like a record exec's idea: "Hey, Cat, we need some new product to push this greatest-hits set, why don'tcha work up this happy song?"

Well, yeah, but you've just described half the hit covers in chart history.  Indeed its being out-of-character is what makes it seem inspired to me (like many of the best remakes). Love the arrangement & the horns.