Author Topic: Props to Rosalie  (Read 7523 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Props to Rosalie
« on: February 27, 2005, 10:50:18 AM »
for a fine All-Covers edition of Acoustic Sunrise today. Mostly the usual suspects of course, but I did dig the cut from Moody Bluegrass, a collection of bluegrass Moody Blues covers (duh) -- she played "Legend of a Mind". I kept expecting them to change the lyric to "Hunter S Thompson's dead... no no no no he's outside..."

And interestingly (considering that Acoustic Sunrise finished last in that President's day poll), They will soon expand the show to run until noon AND they're adding "Acoustic Sunset" from 6 to 8 pm on Sunday evening.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Jon Mayer "Wind Cries Mary"
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 11:42:23 AM »
I heard some live version this morning on the way home, and it sounded so cool.  He's got a dual personality I think; teen hearthrob on one hand, and heavy Hendrix/SRV thing going on the other.  It was sweet.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Props to Rosalie
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 04:05:21 PM »
John Mayer is someone to keep eyes on for future development.  He's got a wonderfully self-effacing sense of humor toward the industry and his place in it, is a remarkably complex musician who knows how to rein it in for a pop single, and has cultivated relationships with people in many genres.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Props to Rosalie
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2005, 07:31:27 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
John Mayer is someone to keep eyes on for future development.  He's got a wonderfully self-effacing sense of humor toward the industry and his place in it, is a remarkably complex musician who knows how to rein it in for a pop single, and has cultivated relationships with people in many genres.

Well, he's obviously kissing a lot of ass -- er, "cultivating relationships", because he won the Song of the Year Grammy for that creepy "Daughters" tune.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Props to Rosalie
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2005, 08:39:07 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"

Well, he's obviously kissing a lot of ass -- er, "cultivating relationships", because he won the Song of the Year Grammy for that creepy "Daughters" tune.

i'm telling you - the man is a guitar wizard!!!  his solo live shows were the best! or they seem like it from bootlegs.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Props to Rosalie
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2005, 10:10:08 AM »

Mike, maybe if you were a breeder you'd think that song was a bit more poignant, at least if you'd ever tried to have a relationship with one of the 'daughters' JM is cautioning us about in this song.

I'm not saying it shoulda won the Grammy, but I find the lyrics insightful & not at all creepy.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Props to Rosalie
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2005, 11:21:21 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"

Mike, maybe if you were a breeder you'd think that song was a bit more poignant, at least if you'd ever tried to have a relationship with one of the 'daughters' JM is cautioning us about in this song.

I'm not saying it shoulda won the Grammy, but I find the lyrics insightful & not at all creepy.

"Girls become lovers
and turn into mothers"

is just bad writing, creepy or not.