Author Topic: 24 Nov 2006--it's 1970  (Read 2232 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
24 Nov 2006--it's 1970
« on: November 24, 2006, 12:18:16 PM »
Missed the intro, so I'm not sure if it was a classic or not. I expected the former, but something about the backsell, with the conversation including Peter Finch and the folks who had bought the opportunity to be the in-studio audience at Peter's kids' PTA auction, made me think maybe it was live after all. But I didn't catch any of the morning show either (slept in til 9:45--ah, the joy of it...) so not sure.

Still, a good set, with Mountain leading off (Mississippi Queen), as well as PG&E, the Beatles (yay) One after 909, Lou Reed's original Rock and Roll, Traffic's John Barleycorn, Chicago (Make Me Smile) and four more I can't recall at the moment (and I'm certain won't be on the KFOG page til Monday, if at all.)

ETA: Oh yeah, Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky was #10, and the J5's I Want You Back was in there as well. That's 8 of 10--anyone else fill in the others?
Let's get right to it.

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
what I heard
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 03:04:01 PM »
George Harrison's "Awaiting on You All."
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 24 Nov 2006--it's 1970
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 05:17:45 PM »
Quote from: "urth"
Missed the intro, so I'm not sure if it was a classic or not. I expected the former, but something about the backsell, with the conversation including Peter Finch and the folks who had bought the opportunity to be the in-studio audience at Peter's kids' PTA auction, made me think maybe it was live after all. But I didn't catch any of the morning show either (slept in til 9:45--ah, the joy of it...) so not sure.

Still, a good set, with Mountain leading off (Mississippi Queen), as well as PG&E, the Beatles (yay) One after 909, Lou Reed's original Rock and Roll, Traffic's John Barleycorn, Chicago (Make Me Smile) and four more I can't recall at the moment (and I'm certain won't be on the KFOG page til Monday, if at all.)

ETA: Oh yeah, Norman Greenbaum's Spirit in the Sky was #10, and the J5's I Want You Back was in there as well. That's 8 of 10--anyone else fill in the others?

That's definitely a "classic" (why on earth would Dave and Peter be there today?) and I remember it from the description, with the auction winners in the studio -- they voted for the J-5 as BOS, iirc. It's been aired several times, I do believe. A fine set, and I look forward to the PM replay.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: 24 Nov 2006--it's 1970
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2006, 08:46:07 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
(why on earth would Dave and Peter be there today?)

Dave was in studio on Thursday for about 3 hours after Rosalie.  He was the one who got to play Alice's Restaurant just after noon.

I heard the middle of this set while driving over to see Happy Feet with my kids, thought it must be a classic, but I didn't recognize the Kent St. clip.  Not that that proves anything.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
24 Nov 2006--it's 1970
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:56:55 PM »
I caught the replay--it was most likely a classic, as the intro was just a generic "take us away, Don Pardo" kind of thing, with no birthday club or anything else.

The one song we hadn't named was the Kinks' Victoria. I'll post the setlist in proper order later on.
Let's get right to it.