Author Topic: 4 Sept 2006:Labor Day!  (Read 4584 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
4 Sept 2006:Labor Day!
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2006, 11:01:24 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"
This was a SUPERB set, politically as well as musically. I may have to tape this one tonite.  All hail Dave!

I sure hope you were set up early!  Drove all the way from San Diego yesterday, and reached Gilroy about 9:30.  Turned on 97.7 and promptly heard Powers say "One more jam tune and then it's Dave Morey with a special Labor Day 10@10."  I thought, I sure hope you're not going to play 20 minutes of commercials, but instead the set kicked off at 9:45.  Which was good for me because I was only 45 minutes from home at that point & thus got to hear the whole set (and totally agree that it was a tremendous set, especially the Stan Ridgway, whcih I could have ID'd for you had I been listening in the a.m., and the long clip about the Anaconda Mining company strike in 1917-18.)

But I was also thinking that I sure hope no one was planning on taping.

I actually was set up early (after watching the Reno 911 marathon!), and managed to tape it. But it still had that weird Nixon clip and no backannounce.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
4 Sept 2006:Labor Day!
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2006, 08:12:57 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
I actually was set up early (after watching the Reno 911 marathon!), and managed to tape it. But it still had that weird Nixon clip and no backannounce.

Glad you got it.  I just heard almost the whole thing* and made a point of paying attention to the back-announce, which commenced right after Johnny Paycheck & was very matter-of-fact.

*Starting today Christina is teaching an intro to Mandarin class for little kids every Saturday at 8:30 at the local Hayward Continuing Education center.  Last year Wei Wei took the class & Christina substituted a couple of times for the quite ancient teacher.  So now she's the regular teacher (which she's actually pretty psyched about), Di Di is in her class & Wei Wei will be in the next level class.  The upshot for me is two-fold: first of all we'll all be getting up at 7 every Saturday, so I can turn the radio on without anyone complaining, and second I get 3 hours of free time every Saturday.  It'll be several weeks before I get the backlog of househould projects accomplished (probably more like several months!), but even if I have to work my butt off doing chores it's still a fair trade just to get some time to myself on a regular basis.

Now it's the 1989 set, most of which I missed without regret on Thurs.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010