Author Topic: 24 May 2006: 1981  (Read 10753 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
umm...
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2006, 04:09:08 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
Quote from: "RGMike"
I'm sure Gaz will join me in honoring Rod the Mod with a VHM.  His '80s output of enjoyable, radio-friendly singles was actually a good period for him (especially considering what followed).
i'm in!

I kinda get hung up on the slavish copying of the Dire Straits sound in this one.  Carlos' "Winning" gives me the same vibe.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
24 May 2006: 1981
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2006, 08:48:00 PM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "RGMike"

FYI -- the web intern had "Is That Love?" as "Is it Time?" Wha?

That right there was the hardest part of entering the data in my 10@10 Db. I can use excel quite proficiently to split up, concatenate, splice left or right etc.  But the GIGO rule still applies.  Excel can't see that JJ Cale is the same as J.J. Cale which is the same as J. J. Cale, or that EWF is the same as EW & F is the same as Earth Wind & Fire is the same as Earth, Wind & Fire (cf. BTO, CCR, CSN, ELO, ELP, ad infinitum).  And the intern has apparently even less of a clue.  

And I could go on far too long about capitalization.  As jsut one example, suffice to say that I became really frustrated that the intern seems to think that every two-letter word beginning with 'i' is a preposition & thus not to be capitalized (is, if, it).

I'm considering loading the spreadsheet into SQL Server, where I can manipulate it better.  I've done enough data cleanup that I could whip that puppy into shape pretty quickly (there's not THAT much data -- you could probably hand edit it faster than I can write the scripts to do it).
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2006, 07:23:37 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
As just one example, suffice to say that I became really frustrated that the intern seems to think that every two-letter word beginning with 'i' is a preposition & thus not to be capitalized (is, if, it).

Which puts the intern in line with 90% of Americans.  Paste magazine commits this error all the time; it's the most poorly copy edited magazine I've ever seen.  Apparently they think no one cares.  And they might be right.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »
Chiming in after the replay with a BOS for Climax Blues Band.
Sharks bleed teal.