Author Topic: 25 april 2006--it's 1976  (Read 11836 times)

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
25 april 2006--it's 1976
« Reply #45 on: April 25, 2006, 10:43:20 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "urth"
Quote from: "RGMike"
"Love of My Life"?  anybody?

Nary a clue. Prog-soul?

I think that might have been Gina Vanelli, but who knows?

Nice call.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
25 april 2006--it's 1976
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2006, 10:43:55 AM »

Nary a clue. Prog-soul?

DING DING DING!  (I'll asume that was a typo, unless Gino had a twin sister).
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
25 april 2006--it's 1976
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2006, 10:44:15 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"

Nary a clue. Prog-soul?

Nice call.

I meant to spell it correctly tho' - Gino Vannelli.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: another good time to leave
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2006, 11:25:55 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
Rod the Mod's nadir?

Not quite, but his decline had begun, and it wasn't a gentle one.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
25 april 2006--it's 1976
« Reply #49 on: April 25, 2006, 11:31:46 AM »
War - All Day Music  (OOPS! wrong year)
Heart - Magic Man
Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes - Wake Up Everybody
Jackson Browne - Here Come Those Tears Again
Steely Dan - Don't Take Me Alive (Best of Set!!)
Amazing Rhythm Aces - The End is Not in Sight (The Cowboy Song)
ELO - Strange Magic
Bay City Rollers - Saturday Night
Gino Vannelli - Love of My Life
Rod Stewart - Tonight's The Night
BONUS TRACK:  Doobie Brothers - It Keeps You Runnin'

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: sneaking a listen
« Reply #50 on: April 25, 2006, 12:35:15 PM »
the big dreaded STAR testing is going on, and I'm rushing around from room to room giving teachers bathroom breaks.  I'm here for a few minutes in the computer lab, waiting for my next assignment.  Got the cell phone headphones on, digging Heart "Magic Man."  potential BOS
Best guitar solo by a woman, ever.
It's not one of the boys?
Pure Nancy!
According to the "Worst 50 Guitar Solos of All Time" list:
35.  Magic Man by Heart (Soloist: Roger Fisher. Album: Dreamboat Annie. Year: 1976) — I shouldn't even have to explain this one. God, who on the planet hasn't been subjected to this grating instrumental break? As we all know, the heavy rockin' Wilson sisters influenced a legion of equally- feminine '80s copycats: Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue, etc. ...
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 25, 2006, 12:49:57 PM »
35.  Magic Man by Heart (Soloist: Roger Fisher. Album: Dreamboat Annie. Year: 1976) — I shouldn't even have to explain this one. God, who on the planet hasn't been subjected to this grating instrumental break? As we all know, the heavy rockin' Wilson sisters influenced a legion of equally- feminine '80s copycats: Bon Jovi, Poison, Motley Crue, etc. ...

Meow meow!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2006, 03:44:59 PM »

Meow meow!

I never heard that attributed to Roger Fisher in all the years I lived in Seattle listening to KISW & KZOK deejays talk about the group, who were then 2nd only to Jimi Hendrix in terms of local fame.  Which doesn't exactly prove anything.  Of course the Seattle scene got just a tad more crowded since then, in no small part because of Nancy's husband.

Betcha didn't know that Heart was actually founded in 1963 (hard on the success of the Kingsmen) by the two Fisher brothers (Roger & Mike), and it was over a decade later that first Ann & then Nancy Wilson joined.  And Ann started dating Mike & Nancy started dating Roger.  I saw Nancy perform this solo live at some point when I was in college, but that would have been after Roger Fisher broke up with Nancy & left the group, so that doesn't actually prove anything either.  

I thought AMG would vindicate me but it doesn't attribute the solo either way.  Alas, Geoff, another cherished memory tarnished by the internet.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #53 on: April 25, 2006, 09:24:02 PM »
Meow meow!
I never heard that attributed to Roger Fisher in all the years I lived in Seattle listening to KISW & KZOK deejays talk about the group, who were then 2nd only to Jimi Hendrix in terms of local fame.  Which doesn't exactly prove anything.  Of course the Seattle scene got just a tad more crowded since then, in no small part because of Nancy's husband.

Betcha didn't know that Heart was actually founded in 1963 (hard on the success of the Kingsmen) by the two Fisher brothers (Roger & Mike), and it was over a decade later that first Ann & then Nancy Wilson joined.  And Ann started dating Mike & Nancy started dating Roger.  I saw Nancy perform this solo live at some point when I was in college, but that would have been after Roger Fisher broke up with Nancy & left the group, so that doesn't actually prove anything either.  

I thought AMG would vindicate me but it doesn't attribute the solo either way.  Alas, Geoff, another cherished memory tarnished by the internet.

I don't think some cranky article about the 50 worst guitar solos proves anything, but I was always under the impression that the leads were done by Roger or maybe Howard Leese.  My connections to Heart are pretty ancient (sold a guitar to Leese many years ago, and Fernando Saunders played with them for a while) so who knows?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!