Author Topic: 5 Jan 2006--it's 1974  (Read 12373 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2006, 10:25:36 PM »
And a late BOS for "Out of the Blue."  I focused just on the pulsing power-piano during the verses and was blown away.  And the over-the-top WHOOSH effects over the close are, well, beautifully over the top.  We need more rock piano today.  (Been listening to JoBoxers' "Just Got Lucky" several times today.)
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2006, 10:34:10 PM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"
sounds like bryan adams copped the beginning of "on the border" for his "it's only love" (duet with tina).

Wouldn't be his first theft.  Tom Petty got pissed at him over "Run to You," though I never knew the Petty song it ripped off.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2006, 10:36:29 PM »
And BOS2 to the Terri Schiavo Theme, "People Gotta Move."

P.S.  Because I promised I'd never not pun away when Dave played him: POUR A LITTLE SHUGGIE ON ME BABY!

That is all.

(i want a little shuggie in my bowl)

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2006, 10:43:08 PM »
Good Genesis and great Neil.
Sharks bleed teal.

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2006, 10:46:02 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

P.S.  Because I promised I'd never not pun away when Dave played him: POUR A LITTLE SHUGGIE ON ME BABY!

That is all.

Feelin a little me-shuggie-na?
Sharks bleed teal.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2006, 10:49:47 PM »
Quote from: "Alicat"

That is all.

Feelin a little me-shuggie-na?

Know what I just realized?  You know how some people get so obsessed with a certain period of history that they delve whole-hog into the lifestyle, like Renaissance Faires and Society for Creative Anachronism and Civil War Re-Enactors?  I think I'm that way about the 1970s.  Should I start a society for people who want to behave as if it's 1976?

Alicat

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2006, 10:54:41 PM »
Snorting coke in a disco? (strains of Edith singing) ...those were the days......
Sharks bleed teal.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
5 Jan 2006--it's 1974
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2006, 07:02:48 AM »
Know what I just realized?  You know how some people get so obsessed with a certain period of history that they delve whole-hog into the lifestyle, like Renaissance Faires and Society for Creative Anachronism and Civil War Re-Enactors?  I think I'm that way about the 1970s.  Should I start a society for people who want to behave as if it's 1976?

That society already exists. They're called Deadheads :wink:
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
reflection on listening
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2006, 09:58:46 AM »
first, the TANC thread:

I have been reading a biography of Barbara Jordan, and did not really experience her famous speeches, as I didn't watch too much TV around that time.  Her remarks about the impeachment apparently won her national acclaim, and catapulted this very junior congresswoman to fame.  I read that her keynote speech at the 1976 Democratic convention was also quite historic, and I thought about asking Dave to play some clips from it (still a good idea).  Then, this morning I dropped my daughter off at work, and as I was parking the car, this very elegant voice is talking about the Constitution, cutting back and forth with Nixon snippets.  I assume this was Barbara Jordan!

Roxy Music
Whenever I hear this song, I'm in the lab at Ford Aerospace, and the radio is over by the East wall, and "Out of the Blue" is playing, with the big phasing sound, killer bass licks, and the (soprano?) sax lines.

The Lamb lies down
I never liked this, but in today's revisionist history, this is a classic!  That's not really fair of me; people thought it was a classic back then too.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
wrong year!
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2006, 10:02:13 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
That society already exists. They're called Deadheads :wink:

Sorry, that would be 1974!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: reflection on listening
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2006, 10:54:43 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"
I have been reading a biography of Barbara Jordan, and did not really experience her famous speeches, as I didn't watch too much TV around that time.  Her remarks about the impeachment apparently won her national acclaim, and catapulted this very junior congresswoman to fame.  I read that her keynote speech at the 1976 Democratic convention was also quite historic, and I thought about asking Dave to play some clips from it (still a good idea).  Then, this morning I dropped my daughter off at work, and as I was parking the car, this very elegant voice is talking about the Constitution, cutting back and forth with Nixon snippets.  I assume this was Barbara Jordan!

It was indeed the late Ms Jordan. And Dave plays clips from her keynote speech in '76 sets quite regularly.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: reflection on listening
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2006, 10:58:21 AM »
Quote from: "RGMike"
It was indeed the late Ms Jordan. And Dave plays clips from her keynote speech in '76 sets quite regularly.

Well, now I will have to pay more attention on Saturdays!