Author Topic: 12 Aug 2014: it's... 1971!!!  (Read 11894 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 12 Aug 2014: it's... 1971!!!
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »
Man, we just fell about the place.

if that chick don't wanna know, forget her!
;)

YOU GUYS! 

I voted in the GS for Stones.  I always LURVE that song --  I cain't quit it.

But it was great to hear the Who, too.

I normally dig the mellow & pop stuff, but today, The Cat Man, Carole King, the Stampeders and Jonathan Edwards ("Sunshine") were making me feel crappy.  I missed the Jackson 5, though.  Had i heard that it might've put me in a better mood.

I didn't hear all of the backannounce, but I got the sense that AL was in a mellow mood because of Robin Williams -- 6 out of 10 were in that vein.

eeek, did someone at KFOG really misspell Cat "Stephens"?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2014, 10:49:30 PM »
Ringo's version of The Point (which actually came later than '71)

Yep, and I don't much care for it.  Nilsson does the narration on the album, and I think I have
the movie on videotape with one of the other narrators.  While I can surmise why they used
him on the DVD, I was disappointed in the result.  I don't think he was a good choice, he doesn't
bring anything other than his name to it, and I find he really takes me out of the story because
"it's Ringo reading The Point."
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2014, 10:55:51 PM »
The mellow side of 1971 continues...  Stampeders "Sweet City Woman". Banjos rule!

I'm guessing a certain 'snipe is feeling very cranky about the lack of RAWK in this set.
Not to mention dischead about the preponderance of AM hits. Complaint #1.

Actually, my complaint about AL's '60s sets leaning heavily towards pop is #8.  A lack
of new material in rich years with high bust-out potential is #1.  Both apply today.  :(
(Okay, I don't really have a numbered list of complaints.)

I'm not terribly impressed with AL's brother's record collection, or at least with what she
liked in it.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2014, 07:58:07 AM »
Ringo's version of The Point (which actually came later than '71)

Yep, and I don't much care for it.  Nilsson does the narration on the album, and I think I havethe movie on videotape with one of the other narrators.  While I can surmise why they used him on the DVD, I was disappointed in the result.  I don't think he was a good choice, he doesn't bring anything other than his name to it, and I find he really takes me out of the story because "it's Ringo reading The Point."

agree totally. It was Dustin Hoffman when it first aired, but ABC discovered when they wanted to rerun it that his contract only covered one airing. They hired some voiceover guy to re-dub it for subsequent showings and then they got Ringo for the home video versions.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round