Author Topic: 12 May 2014: it's... 1978  (Read 7650 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: 12 May 2014: it's... 1978
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2014, 10:48:01 AM »
I'm sure you young folk love this (Teenage Kicks) but this could be exhibit A for why some people shouldn't be allowed to have Les Pauls and Marshall amps!

[I don't really know what kind of guitar/amp is being used for the chain-saw here, I just thought I'd get all get-off-my-lawn on it!]
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:06 AM »
Bruce Jenner eats his Wheaties to close the '78 set

Tuned to a natural E

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2014, 10:59:44 AM »
was listening to Heaven Tonight just yesterday. When this song came on my friend was like "this isn't too good."  I was saddened.

I feel bad for your friend.

I know.. :(   but it was in a (noisy) car, and I was playing the old mastered 'analog' CD. They re-mastered the entire CT catalog, which sounds much better. 
~CPL593H~

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2014, 11:00:58 AM »
I'm sure you young folk love this (Teenage Kicks) but this could be exhibit A for why some people shouldn't be allowed to have Les Pauls and Marshall amps!

[I don't really know what kind of guitar/amp is being used for the chain-saw here, I just thought I'd get all get-off-my-lawn on it!]

"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz." - Lou Reed

:)
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2014, 11:12:38 AM »

it shows up on countless lists of "Best Rock 45s Ever", FWIW.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2014, 11:23:58 AM »

I knowingly put on my old man hat for this.  I also guess it's because I'm in the guitar business, I have a sensitivity to wankers slashing power chords.  I've been assaulted countless hours in guitar stores, trade show booths, etc.  My cross to bear I guess.  Usually, but not always, it seems to cover up a lack of talent.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

CapnJack

• The Core
  • 10^4 Super Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2014, 11:57:05 AM »
Monday, May 12, 2014 - Pop in the eight track and listen to 1978

1. The Who - Had Enough
    (Movie: Animal House)
2. The Rolling Stones - Before They Make Me Run
3. Bob Seger - Hollywood Nights
    (TV: WKRP Cincinnati)
4. Elvis Costello - Radio Radio
    (TV: WKRP Cincinnati)
5. Cheap Trick - On the Radio
6. The Rezillos - Top of the Pops
7. The Police - Next to You
    (Movie: Foul Play)
8. Van Morrison - Wavelength
    (News: Assassination of Moscone and Milk)
9. Ronnie Montrose - Town Without Pity *BOS*
    (TV: One Day at a Time)
10. The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 12:10:03 PM by RGMike »
Tuned to a natural E

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2014, 03:27:15 PM »

I knowingly put on my old man hat for this.  I also guess it's because I'm in the guitar business, I have a sensitivity to wankers slashing power chords.  I've been assaulted countless hours in guitar stores, trade show booths, etc.  My cross to bear I guess.  Usually, but not always, it seems to cover up a lack of talent.

"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 12, 2014, 03:55:21 PM »

Smoke on the Water ... Check
Stairway ...  Check
Sweet Child o' Mine ... Still working on that one.

I think I learned the opening riff to Chicago's 25 Or 6 To 4 before Smoke on the Water

~CPL593H~

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 12, 2014, 11:08:12 PM »

"One chord is fine. Two chords are pushing it. Three chords and you're into jazz." - Lou Reed

:)

Well, "rock 'n' roll" does have a looong history of returning to the embrace of simpler forms
and a more raw sound.  From its emergence in the fifites, through the garage bands of the
sixties, the punk groups of the seventies, grunge in the ninties...

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2014, 11:24:41 PM »
Animal House ---> The Rolling Stones "Before They Make Me Run"

Today's data point supporting my "big name bust-out" theory...