Author Topic: KBCO, 2/12/08: 1990  (Read 7629 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KBCO, 2/12/08: 1990
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2008, 12:09:31 PM »
BOS #5 Sundays.  Hard to believe I got all the way up to 5 BOS votes today, but kudos to Ginger.

That Sundays track can ONLY occupy the #10 position.  For at least a couple years I thought it was the Cranberries.

ditto -- I was actually going to comment that that was the ubiquitous female soundalike voice of the time. The Corrinne Colbie Feist of the early '90s, if you will.

actually I won't - Corrinne Colby Feist are the Dolores O'Riordan/Harriet Wheeler/Tanya Donnely of the mid-aughts, not the other way around.

Ah, pedantry is alive and well! ;)
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »
BOS #5 Sundays.  Hard to believe I got all the way up to 5 BOS votes today, but kudos to Ginger.

That Sundays track can ONLY occupy the #10 position.  For at least a couple years I thought it was the Cranberries.

ditto -- I was actually going to comment that that was the ubiquitous female soundalike voice of the time. The Corrinne Colbie Feist of the early '90s, if you will.

actually I won't - Corrinne Colby Feist are the Dolores O'Riordan/Harriet Wheeler/Tanya Donnely of the mid-aughts, not the other way around.

Guilty as charged, I suppose, but I call 'em as I see 'em.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2008, 12:36:04 PM »

If there's a hard-and-fast rule at work here, then I certainly defer to you, but I've heard such situations phrased the opposite way more often than not,  using the "He was the so-and-so of his time" model. For example, I've heard numerous references in the past year like "she was the Paris Hilton of her day", referring to various celebrity skanks of the past.

Copy editors, weigh in!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2008, 02:23:52 PM »

If there's a hard-and-fast rule at work here, then I certainly defer to you, but I've heard such situations phrased the opposite way more often than not,  using the "He was the so-and-so of his time" model. For example, I've heard numerous references in the past year like "she was the Paris Hilton of her day", referring to various celebrity skanks of the past.

Copy editors, weigh in!

I don't see either metaphor as being more correct than the other--it just depends on which one you're talking about. If you're discussing Dolores/Harriet etc. then Mike's is perfectly apropos, but if you're talking about Corinne/Colbie/Madeleine (let's not forget her, now)then Mark's would work.
Let's get right to it.

mshray

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2008, 03:09:17 PM »
I wasn't angling for anyone to defer to me, least of all Mike!  I was just being contrarian.  ;) ;) ;)

But thanks for taking me seriously.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010