Author Topic: Wednesday July 13 - it's 1992  (Read 17169 times)

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Generational dividing line
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2005, 10:43:19 AM »
Quote from: "Rod"
Quote from: "ggould"
I think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is cute, but really, one of the best guitarists of all time?
Do people really say that?  Nice tone, great overall sound, but awfully basic.

He was ranked pretty high on the Rolling Stone all-time list, but hey, consider the source!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: what happened to them?
« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2005, 10:44:36 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
Quote from: "urth"

Jerry's living in the area these days (since garageband.com's heyday). I see him out around town about 2-3 times a year.

Next time you see Jerry, tell him that your friend Mark sez "Man With A Gun" is one of his all-time favorite songs.

Didn't say I knew him, I just see him. (He's kind of assumed Paul Kantner's old role of local rock-star-about-town.) But if I have a chance, I'll let him know.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Wednesday July 13 - it's 1992
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2005, 10:45:23 AM »
VHM the Cure. Didn't Dave play some '90s Cure late in the Morning Show?
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2005, 10:46:35 AM »

Jerry's living in the area these days (since garageband.com's heyday). I see him out around town about 2-3 times a year.

Next time you see Jerry, tell him that your friend Mark sez "Man With A Gun" is one of his all-time favorite songs.

Didn't say I knew him, I just see him. (He's kind of assumed Paul Kantner's old role of local rock-star-about-town.) But if I have a chance, I'll let him know.

"Old role"?  PK doesn't still hang out at Vesuvios and Trieste?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Generational dividing line
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2005, 10:51:17 AM »
I think "Smells Like Teen Spirit" is cute, but really, one of the best guitarists of all time?
Do people really say that?  Nice tone, great overall sound, but awfully basic.

He was ranked pretty high on the Rolling Stone all-time list, but hey, consider the source!

Also consider that he's become the ultimate alt-rock martyr, so his reputation is magnified accordingly. Tortured artist, died young (albeit by his own hand), and had the poor judgement to marry Courtney Love.

A friend of mine was Steve Albini's assistant when they recorded In Utero in Minnesota--he doesn't talked about it a lot, but did tell some great stories about going to Mall of America with Dave Grohl and riding the rollercoaster.
Let's get right to it.

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2005, 11:09:48 AM »
Quote from: "princessofcairo"

candice bergen is so hot.

Have you seen "The Sand Pebbles?"  A young Candice, just scrumptious.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 13, 2005, 11:12:10 AM »

no, i haven't. i'll add it to the list.  mmmm...candice on the beach.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 13, 2005, 11:17:44 AM »
Bonus: Los Lobos -- a new one on me, (something... "Rain") from Kiko.

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 13, 2005, 11:52:49 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"

"Old role"?  PK doesn't still hang out at Vesuvios and Trieste?

He might--but I never hang out in those places. I used to see him at Slim's or the Music Hall or even Nightbreak (RIP) on occasion, but haven't in ages.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 13, 2005, 11:56:03 AM »

no, i haven't. i'll add it to the list.  mmmm...candice on the beach.

indeed, Candice and Steve McQueen -- a hot combo.  T.R. Baskin is another one, and of course The Group.

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2005, 09:18:24 AM »
Hey Y'all, send me all your positive vibes this afternoon from 2:30 to 3:30.  I have a 3rd interview, and I really want to get this job.  Could be a huge jump in salary.

Most certainly will. 3rd interview?--sounds like you made the final two. Go knock 'em dead.

Won't jinx it by asking too much, but if you get it, ya gotta give us all the deets.

Thanks for all the positive karma everyone!  The interviews went really well & (long story short) I'm being recommended to the VP, whom I will meet on Monday.  She gives a thumbs up & I got it.

The postion is executive placement/IT recruiter with Robert Half Int'l in SJ.  RHI is a really big, expanding company that specializes in both temp & perm placement in several divisons.  They are revamping their IT perm group after the enforced hiatus of the dot.com crash.  The two guys, Ryan & Jason, had already interviewed me 3 weeks ago, and at that time they had 1 position open and 1 more to fill later in the year as business growth allowed.  Later they told me that they offered the initial position to an experienced perm recruiter that they had interviewed before me, but on Monday Ryan called me back to say that they had booked so much business in June that they got the 2nd req approved & wanted me to come back in.  So I did & it went really well. Now I know I'm not actually competing with anyone else, it's just a matter of making as good an impression on the VP as I have on Ryan & Jason.  Jason told me, "We want you to meet Susan (the VP).  She almost always follows our recommendation, but she has the final say."  He then proceeded to spend the last 15 minutes coaching me on my meeting with her.

But I'm not allowing myself to think that it's in the bag by a long shot.  I got to do some research online and bone up big time.  If y'all can give me one more Karmic push on Monday that will help.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2005, 09:21:19 AM »
Hey Y'all, send me all your positive vibes this afternoon from 2:30 to 3:30.  I have a 3rd interview, and I really want to get this job.  Could be a huge jump in salary.

Most certainly will. 3rd interview?--sounds like you made the final two. Go knock 'em dead.

Won't jinx it by asking too much, but if you get it, ya gotta give us all the deets.

Thanks for all the positive karma everyone!  The interviews went really well & (long story short) I'm being recommended to the VP, whom I will meet on Monday.  She gives a thumbs up & I got it.

The postion is executive placement/IT recruiter with Robert Half Int'l in SJ.  RHI is a really big, expanding company that specializes in both temp & perm placement in several divisons.  They are revamping their IT perm group after the enforced hiatus of the dot.com crash.  The two guys, Ryan & Jason, had already interviewed me 3 weeks ago, and at that time they had 1 position open and 1 more to fill later in the year as business growth allowed.  Later they told me that they offered the initial position to an experienced perm recruiter that they had interviewed before me, but on Monday Ryan called me back to say that they had booked so much business in June that they got the 2nd req approved & wanted me to come back in.  So I did & it went really well. Now I know I'm not actually competing with anyone else, it's just a matter of making as good an impression on the VP as I have on Ryan & Jason.  Jason told me, "We want you to meet Susan (the VP).  She almost always follows our recommendation, but she has the final say."  He then proceeded to spend the last 15 minutes coaching me on my meeting with her.

But I'm not allowing myself to think that it's in the bag by a long shot.  I got to do some research online and bone up big time.  If y'all can give me one more Karmic push on Monday that will help.

Yay! Fingers crossed, bub!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2005, 09:42:00 AM »
they offered the initial position to an experienced perm recruiter

Who obviously could not measure up to Phil Spector's perm recruiter.  Or is that perm teaser?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2005, 09:57:08 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
they offered the initial position to an experienced perm recruiter

Who obviously could not measure up to Phil Spector's perm recruiter.  Or is that perm teaser?

Rimshot!

Gaz, you're killin' me.

(Btw, we're neck and neck to our respective post threshholds (2K vs. 1K). Mike blew us out getting to 4K tho)
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2005, 10:03:30 AM »
(Btw, we're neck and neck to our respective post threshholds (2K vs. 1K). Mike blew us out getting to 4K tho)

but you can both take solace in the fact that you guys actually have LIVES, whereas I don't.