Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102583 times)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1650 on: April 12, 2010, 07:59:41 PM »
Saturday is another Record Store Day and apparently it'll be another "Vinyl Friday" on the Morning Show.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: April 15, 2010, 08:08:36 PM »
Have y'all noticed that the Kaboom promos now call the location "the lot at Candlestick Park" -- sudden honesty, or maybe they were threatened with being called out for false advertising?

Or a deluge of complaints from Fogheads who, like me, first thought they meant the park on the water, and got pissed when they found out where it *really* was. Which I guess is a combo of both your suggestions.

yup, just heard that on the stream.  They should just start calling the KFOG KaPut!

I would Facebook this on the KFOG site, but I'm not a "fan" of theirs.

well, believe me, they've taken a TON of crap on FB about the Kaboom-doggle. Bet they're sorry they set up a FB page for the station.

Oh hell, let's beat a dead horse: KFOG has changed the Kaboom promos *again* -- now instead of "the lot at Candlestick Park" it just says "Candlestick Park". Maybe they realized "the lot" sounded a bit, er, unglamorous.  But saying "Candlestick Park" makes it sound like it's inside the stadium, so I bet they change it again before long.

In other news, Renee's mellifluous tones are voicing the TV spots for Bay to Breakers this year.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1652 on: April 21, 2010, 08:00:29 AM »
Peter did a Fog Files this week about the emergency sirens that are tested every Tuesday at noon in SF:

http://www.kfog.com/Community/Fogfiles.aspx

And he mentioned this morning that the guy in charge of the sirens is a longtime Foghead and is negotiating with Dave Morey to have Dave become the voice of the "that was only a test" message that runs each week after the sirens stop!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: April 21, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
When my alarm clock went off this morning I was 'treated' to Train's "Hey Soul Sister", which I have loathed since the first time I heard it...but it is undeniably an earworm.  And then Renee, sitting in the front seat with Webster on vacay, started saying how much she likes the song.  10 demerits for Renee!!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: April 30, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »
OMFG and nicest surprise of the week: they just played the Wailing Souls' "Shark Attack" -- a KFOG staple when it was new , but I haven't heard it in ages and they NEVER play it at Sharks games, which utterly baffles me. Surely it would be a natural.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: May 05, 2010, 02:06:21 PM »
When my alarm clock went off this morning I was 'treated' to Train's "Hey Soul Sister", which I have loathed since the first time I heard it...but it is undeniably an earworm.  And then Renee, sitting in the front seat with Webster on vacay, started saying how much she likes the song.  10 demerits for Renee!!

Yeah that song's definitely getting overplayed.  I wish they'd play the new track "Save Me, San Francisco" more though.  Against my better judgement I really dig it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-e8tlPE3kjI

(This is in spite of typically insipid Train lyrics like:  "I used to love the Tenderloin until I made some tender coin."  "Everyday's so caffienated, I wish they were Golden Gated.  Fillmore couldn't feel more miles away.")

Awful.  But the groove is great.

In their first hit, "Meet Virginia", I like this bit:
She never comprimises,
Loves babies and surprises,
wears high heels when
she exercises
Ain't it beautuiful
Meet Virginia

But then...
Her brother is a fine mediator
For the president
And here she is again on the phone
just like me hates to be alone
we just like to sit at home
and rip on the President

Did you just rhyme "president" with "President"?  I mean, god, at least be clever and work in "precedent" or something.

But what am I expecting from a guy who writes:  "The best soy latte that you ever had, and me?"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: May 05, 2010, 02:27:45 PM »
Have y'all noticed that the Kaboom promos now call the location "the lot at Candlestick Park" -- sudden honesty, or maybe they were threatened with being called out for false advertising?

Or a deluge of complaints from Fogheads who, like me, first thought they meant the park on the water, and got pissed when they found out where it *really* was. Which I guess is a combo of both your suggestions.

yup, just heard that on the stream.  They should just start calling the KFOG KaPut!

well, believe me, they've taken a TON of crap on FB about the Kaboom-doggle. Bet they're sorry they set up a FB page for the station.

Oh hell, let's beat a dead horse: KFOG has changed the Kaboom promos *again* -- now instead of "the lot at Candlestick Park" it just says "Candlestick Park". Maybe they realized "the lot" sounded a bit, er, unglamorous.  But saying "Candlestick Park" makes it sound like it's inside the stadium, so I bet they change it again before long.

Kaboomdoggle update:  They're running yet another new promo, a real hard-sell thing featuring everybody from Webster and Renee to Big Rick, fairly hitting folks over the head with how much ROOM! there's gonna be! How many PARKING SPACES! etc. and reminding you that the fireworks will still be OVER THE WATER in a really SCENIC SETTING!  Sounds to me like ticket sales must be way behind previous years...  Oh and they're giving away a Volkswagen -- a Ka-Beetle (get it??). Sheesh.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: May 05, 2010, 04:27:40 PM »

Kaboomdoggle update:  They're running yet another new promo, a real hard-sell thing featuring everybody from Webster and Renee to Big Rick, fairly hitting folks over the head with how much ROOM! there's gonna be! How many PARKING SPACES! etc. and reminding you that the fireworks will still be OVER THE WATER in a really SCENIC SETTING!  Sounds to me like ticket sales must be way behind previous years...  Oh and they're giving away a Volkswagen -- a Ka-Beetle (get it??). Sheesh.

I was thinking the very same thing when I heard it.  They also suggest piling into a car with all your buddies and driving down is the best way to get there.  They're trying really hard to make it sound like a freaking blast, man!
~CPL593H~

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1658 on: May 05, 2010, 08:54:44 PM »

I almost wrote this same thing earlier today, just didn't have time to. But yeah, you're right. Sounds like ticket sales are stiffing bad. But no matter how good they try to make it sound, it's still a parking lot.
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: May 06, 2010, 10:40:45 AM »
I just heard an ad for "Music in School Today, or 'MUST.' "  WTF?!
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1660 on: May 06, 2010, 11:08:59 AM »

yes, I always think "shouldn't it be MIST?"  It's worse than that "in a perfect world" auto insurance spot.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1661 on: May 06, 2010, 11:17:40 AM »

yes, I always think "shouldn't it be MIST?"  It's worse than that "in a perfect world" auto insurance spot.

it's an advertising thing, not copy editing.   What would you call that?  modified acronymage?
~CPL593H~

SFGuy

« Reply #1662 on: May 07, 2010, 02:22:31 AM »
Is KFOG still doing "My Three Songs"? I notice that The Band is copying that for their station.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: May 07, 2010, 07:22:24 AM »
Is KFOG still doing "My Three Songs"? I notice that The Band is copying that for their station.

afaik, AL still does it every afternoon.  When does the Band do it, and do they call it that, or give it a different name? (KPIG does it in the morning and calls it "What's the Connection?", which is what Live 105 used to call it back in the day.

SFGuy

« Reply #1664 on: May 07, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »

afaik, AL still does it every afternoon.  When does the Band do it, and do they call it that, or give it a different name? (KPIG does it in the morning and calls it "What's the Connection?", which is what Live 105 used to call it back in the day.

I forgot what they call it but on Thursday, they did it exactly at 3 PM.