Author Topic: KFOG, But Not 10@10  (Read 1102527 times)

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
Re: KFOG, But Not 10@10
« Reply #1350 on: August 04, 2009, 11:01:18 AM »
before 10 at 10 the played a rather mundane song that had a lame refrain about someone walking away and someone else following (no, not U2).   It thought it was The Wallflowers, turns out it was Foo Fighters.  Foo-ey, indeed!
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: August 05, 2009, 09:43:23 AM »
before 10 at 10 the played a rather mundane song that had a lame refrain about someone walking away and someone else following (no, not U2).   It thought it was The Wallflowers, turns out it was Foo Fighters.  Foo-ey, indeed!

they're really flogging that new Rob Thomas song, "Her Diamonds"
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: August 05, 2009, 11:10:15 AM »

the subject of Rob Thomas came up in re: the Santana bday set and the inevitable inclusion of Smooth. Someone asked if we dislike Smooth b/c it's overplayed or for any other specific reason, like Rob's voice.  After hearing his new song, I've decided it's his voice that bugs me.
~CPL593H~

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: August 05, 2009, 11:16:49 AM »

the subject of Rob Thomas came up in re: the Santana bday set and the inevitable inclusion of Smooth. Someone asked if we dislike Smooth b/c it's overplayed or for any other specific reason, like Rob's voice.  After hearing his new song, I've decided it's his voice that bugs me.

That matchboxtwenty song that sounded like "Smooth" annoyed the piss outta me too. ("Disease" or something like that.)

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: August 06, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »
Tuesday morning Peter Finch talked about his daughter going to the Jonas Bros show and they played a Jonas Bros song for illustration. Predictably, the Fogheads went apeshit, "why are you playing that crap?" etc. They read some of their emails on Wed. I felt compelled to comment and emailed them yesterday -- and they read my email this morning:

"I was amused this morning to hear people complaining about that sweet harmless Jonas Brothers song. These are the same Fogheads who drool over Jason Mraz (yeesh) and those 17 different women KFOG plays, who all sound like Feist.  Seriously -- are the Jonases any more or less "manufactured" than Coldplay or Snow Patrol or that Fray song you seem to play 6 or 7 times a day?  The tweens who listen to the JoBros will grow up soon enough and will be listening to Jack Johnson -- oh, that's *so* much edgier!  :-)  Thanks for any attempt to be different -- it *was* appreciated."

Peter read the entire email and Greg said "Er, I thought you were going to edit out all the parts where he slams everything we do!". And Peter was like "Oops, was I supposed to edit it?" LOL!

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: August 06, 2009, 10:19:26 AM »
Tuesday morning Peter Finch talked about his daughter going to the Jonas Bros show and they played a Jonas Bros song for illustration. Predictably, the Fogheads went apeshit, "why are you playing that crap?" etc. They read some of their emails on Wed. I felt compelled to comment and emailed them yesterday -- and they read my email this morning:

"I was amused this morning to hear people complaining about that sweet harmless Jonas Brothers song. These are the same Fogheads who drool over Jason Mraz (yeesh) and those 17 different women KFOG plays, who all sound like Feist.  Seriously -- are the Jonases any more or less "manufactured" than Coldplay or Snow Patrol or that Fray song you seem to play 6 or 7 times a day?  The tweens who listen to the JoBros will grow up soon enough and will be listening to Jack Johnson -- oh, that's *so* much edgier!  :-)  Thanks for any attempt to be different -- it *was* appreciated."

Peter read the entire email and Greg said "Er, I thought you were going to edit out all the parts where he slams everything we do!". And Peter was like "Oops, was I supposed to edit it?" LOL!

oh man, wish I had heard this on the air!  just reading it here made my week......!  THANK YOU!  :)
~CPL593H~

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: August 06, 2009, 11:18:11 AM »

oh man, wish I had heard this on the air!  just reading it here made my week......!  THANK YOU!  :)

Likewise wish I'd heard that.  Later that morning they talked about an article on the cost of raising children, and I called in and got played back.  Webster is a DINK, dontcha know..
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 11:20:33 AM by mshray »
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
« Reply #1357 on: August 06, 2009, 09:52:07 PM »

right on Mike!  Too bad you don't have a recording!  I wish I'd heard it.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Lightnin' Rod

• Administrator
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: August 07, 2009, 09:13:51 AM »

That's awesome Mike. 

I just hope Peter doesn't get fired over it.
and any fool knows
a dog needs a home
a shelter
from pigs on the wing

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: August 10, 2009, 01:01:58 PM »
Wow, great e-mail calling KFOG out on their pop leanings (although I've gotta admit I like Mraz, Feist-a-likes and even Jack Johnson.  But hey, I hate Coldplay, Snow Patrol and the Fray, so yeah!)

So, I need some help -- I have a script that automatically grabs the "Now Playing" info from KFOG's website, and it claims that they often spin these two songs, which I don't recall ever hearing in regular rotation:

Sting   SEND YOUR LOVE  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao_Uqx5HaVg)
North Mississippi Allstars      EYES

The reason I ask is because I sent a whiny e-mail to Big Rick and kfog@kfog.com complaining that after Big Rick played Black Crowes "She Talks to Angels" he started talking up their new album, which had a disco sound and was a little weird, but you know, the Stones released an album that people didn't like either, and hey, bands have to change, and well, maybe you can hear the new Crowes song on "New Music Thursday".

And I was like, "WTF dude, this is Tuesday -- I may or may not be listening if and when you play it on Thursday, and if you're going to take the time to talk it up, why don't you just play the goddamn new track?"

So I wrote that I thought he should do that, and that maybe he couldn't because it seems like they have a policy against ever playing anything new outside of the New Music Thursday ghetto, or because they couldn't play a old/new track by the same artist outside of the "Then and Now" promo they pull out every once in a while or because they're so tightly programmed by computers that the jocks aren't allowed to play things on a whim.

For once, Big Rick took my bait and replied that all 3 of my suppositions were false, and that the song isn't all that great anyways.

And *then* I got a mail from Rosalie (who I guess is taking on some of the program director duties?), expressing surprise at my contention that KFOG never plays anything new, that they are "Internationally Known" for mixing in new music, yadda yadda.

So of course I pulled out my playlists, and found those two weird tracks.  I know their database has bad data because *every* time Susan Tedeschi's "People" plays, the website shows Dave Matthews "Raven" (huh?).

But I thought I'd check to see if any of youse all had ever heard those tracks.  And I know you don't all listen that regularly outside of 10@10, but who else am I gonna ask?  I don't think many of my friends listen to KFOG.

darryl

• The Core
  • half-baked
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: August 10, 2009, 01:33:38 PM »
One other weird one showing up in the DB:

GARAGE A TROIS  SPRUNG MONKEY  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnYe9ZIp7Pg

Instrumental jazz track?  No *WAY* that was played at 12:45PM on a Wednesday.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: August 10, 2009, 01:43:46 PM »
Wow, great e-mail calling KFOG out on their pop leanings (although I've gotta admit I like Mraz, Feist-a-likes and even Jack Johnson.  But hey, I hate Coldplay, Snow Patrol and the Fray, so yeah!)

So, I need some help -- I have a script that automatically grabs the "Now Playing" info from KFOG's website, and it claims that they often spin these two songs, which I don't recall ever hearing in regular rotation:

Sting   SEND YOUR LOVE  (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao_Uqx5HaVg)
North Mississippi Allstars      EYES

The Sting doesn't ring a bell; the N Miss A-S track is from 2003, according to Amazon; I can't imagine it would pop up in KFOG rotation, like, ever.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: August 12, 2009, 09:57:59 AM »
Out of nowhere, Webster ended the morning show today with A Hard Day's Night, after which he explained that 45 years ago today the film A Hard Day's Night opened to much hoopla. Dave would be pleased.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: August 12, 2009, 10:05:11 AM »
Out of nowhere, Webster ended the morning show today with A Hard Day's Night, after which he explained that 45 years ago today the film A Hard Day's Night opened to much hoopla. Dave would be pleased.

I was surprised Li'l Steven didn't do his annual "Hard day's" tribute the other night, tho' maybe he's saving it for this weekend.

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: August 12, 2009, 10:57:00 AM »

I was surprised Li'l Steven didn't do his annual "Hard day's" tribute the other night, tho' maybe he's saving it for this weekend.

nicely done, Web.  I watched Richard Lester's Robin and Marian (1976) on DVD a few weeks back.  It doesn't have the gravitas of HDN (huh?) but if you're a Richard Lester fan, you should see it.  (Actually, if you're a fan, you probably already saw it!  :)  )
~CPL593H~