Author Topic: 2 October 2012: It's.... 1988  (Read 9142 times)

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
Re: 2 October 2012: It's.... 1988
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2012, 10:49:19 AM »
Muuuuuch better on the backsell. It really sounded like she cared about it that time. A little forced, maybe, but a big improvement over yesterday.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: 2 October 2012: It's.... 1982?
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2012, 10:54:24 AM »
I think you all are being just a bit harsh.  Everyone went in with a negative attitude.  As bad as the people that are giving AL a bad time for not being Greg Kihn.  Just chill for a while.  You have plenty of time to rail on her in a week or two.

I'm no Renee fan, but I gotta agree with this.  I realize that as a public figure you're supposed to be able to take criticism, but some of the comments directed at her, although funny, weren't exactly constructive.

No. Sorry. It's not like DC called her at 6am yesterday and said "you gotta throw together a 10@10 for today"  She had 2 weeks, and it was very bare-bones and uninteresting. Everything about it said she's not too interested in being creative or working very hard on it. And granted, we've been spoiled by DM and AL's great work, but still. Would I have cut, say, Dred more slack? probably, because RR has a history of being snippy on FB. Do I want her to improve? yes, because otherwise I'll stop listening.  I see a strong possibility that "bare-bones" is what DC wants (because that way anyone can do it, and when RR is on vacay someone else can fill in rather than running "classics") and if she's just doing what she's told then that's depressing too.

Yeah, perhaps we were a bit harsh on her, but as has been pointed out:

1. DC/RR knew of this change for at least two weeks. Given that:
 a. A jingle which sounded like it took more than five minutes to produce should have been developed.
  b. Research should have been done in order to guarantee that no more than two of the songs would be 103.7 regulars.
  c. RR should have at least feigned enthusiasm. This is a show that many would love to do.

2. Her response was:
  a. Defensive as opposed to trying to learn what the passionate listeners cared about.
  b. Effectively taking a crap on the methodologies AL’s listeners (both G-Snipes and others) were extremely enthusiastic about.

If it had just been #1, I think we’d have much less of an issue about this. It seems this 1988 set is marginally better – did she sound like she was alive this time?

I'd call this a marked improvement. Yeah there were 5 LNs but that's actually on a par with some of AL's DC-era '88 sets. The Siouxie was possibly a bustout, the PSBs a very nice rarity. A couple more clips that somebody obviously had to go looking for.   And yes, she sounded more enthused and engaged. If yesterday was a D, this gets a B-minus taking the year into account.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2012, 11:11:39 AM »
I missed the set, but it sounds like for all the negativity that was tossed back and forth yesterday, she took some of it to heart. (I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Renee and DC were talking after yesterday's show--I wonder what his observations were?)

Let's get right to it.

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2012, 11:43:05 AM »
I missed the set, but it sounds like for all the negativity that was tossed back and forth yesterday, she took some of it to heart. (I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when Renee and DC were talking after yesterday's show--I wonder what his observations were?)

I have to think they didn't want a repeat of the Twitch situation. For all the crap we give DC, he seems to respond to real disasters fairly effectively.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 11:47:28 AM by Big Fingers McGee »

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2012, 11:52:19 AM »
1. U2 - Desire
2. Escape Club - Wild Wild West
(Movie: Who Framed Roger Rabbit? - I'm just drawn that way.)
3. George Harrision - Got My Mind Set On You
4. Siouxsie and the Banshees - The Killing Jar
(News: Dukakis slam ad; Bush slam ad ... Ah politics)
5. REM - Stand
6. Cheap Trick - The Flame
(Commercial - My dogs love Pedigree)
7. Pet Shop Boys - Always On My Mind
8. Tracy Chapman - Fast Car
9. Robert Cray - Don't Be Afraid Of the Dark
10. Steve Winwood - Roll With It

Tinka Cat

• The Core
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2012, 12:32:23 PM »
10. Steve Winwood - Roll With It

KFOG to loyal 10at10 listeners: "Just Roll With It, ok?  It's all you're gonna get."

~CPL593H~

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2012, 01:21:24 PM »
Looking at the setlist, I'd consider the following to be LN:
1,2,3,5,6,8 and 10.

7 and 9 aren't LN, but aren't exactly daring either. Only 4 is a solid choice.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2012, 01:29:33 PM »
Looking at the setlist, I'd consider the following to be LN:
1,2,3,5,6,8 and 10.

7 and 9 aren't LN, but aren't exactly daring either. Only 4 is a solid choice.

Agreed, mostly. I consider the PSBs tune a rarity because it's only in the shraytabase 3 times (compared to 8 appearances each for "West End Girls" and "It's a Sin") and I don't recall AL playing it more than once or twice (she was more enamored of "What Have I Done to Deserve this").

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
Re: 2 October 2012: It's.... 1982?
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2012, 12:42:12 AM »
I think you all are being just a bit harsh.  Everyone went in with a negative attitude.  As bad as the people that are giving AL a bad time for not being Greg Kihn.  Just chill for a while.  You have plenty of time to rail on her in a week or two.

I'm no Renee fan, but I gotta agree with this.  I realize that as a public figure you're supposed to be able to take criticism, but some of the comments directed at her, although funny, weren't exactly constructive.

No. Sorry. It's not like DC called her at 6am yesterday and said "you gotta throw together a 10@10 for today"  She had 2 weeks, and it was very bare-bones and uninteresting. Everything about it said she's not too interested in being creative or working very hard on it. And granted, we've been spoiled by DM and AL's great work, but still. Would I have cut, say, Dred more slack? probably, because RR has a history of being snippy on FB. Do I want her to improve? yes, because otherwise I'll stop listening.  I see a strong possibility that "bare-bones" is what DC wants (because that way anyone can do it, and when RR is on vacay someone else can fill in rather than running "classics") and if she's just doing what she's told then that's depressing too.

Yeah, perhaps we were a bit harsh on her, but as has been pointed out:

1.   DC/RR knew of this change for at least two weeks. Given that:
               a.   A jingle which sounded like it took more than five minutes to produce should have been developed.
               b.   Research should have been done in order to guarantee that no more than two of the songs would be 103.7 regulars.
               c.   RR should have at least feigned enthusiasm. This is a show that many would love to do.

2.   Her response was:
               a.   Defensive as opposed to trying to learn what the passionate listeners cared about.
                b.   Effectively taking a crap on the methodologies AL’s listeners (both G-Snipes and others) were extremely enthusiastic about.

If it had just been #1, I think we’d have much less of an issue about this. It seems this 1988 set is marginally better – did she sound like she was alive this time?

When I mentioned the comments directed at her, I was referring to the FB posts (not the ones in this forum -- we're supposed to be snarky here) that prompted her to respond in the form of #2a.  Renee's no 'snipe & probably never will be, we can't just barrage her with our brand of sarcasm and expect her to play along.

I agree with 1a and c and would really like to agree with 1b but sadly, can't realistically expect that one. (In fact, the opposite of that is probably closer to the truth.)

2b...I'll partially agree with.  She's no AL when it comes to a lot of things, including email & facebook, and even if she did start a facebook page, she'd still be nowhere near as effective as AL was.  I don't mind calling in to vote for best of set.  Technically that was how DM did, and that way BOS's can be announced at the end of the set without people who emailed a few minutes late feeling like their vote didn't count.  But I agree that she comes across as sticking her nose up at social media...and that isn't a good thing.  She should at least attempt something to make us realize she cares, if, in fact, she does.