Author Topic: 1 May 2013: it's... 2001  (Read 11495 times)

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
  • Honorary Knight of the Command Line
    • View Profile
Re: 1 May 2013: it's... 2001
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2013, 10:33:13 PM »
Zero 7. Yay!
Totally NTM -- where did this get airplay? certainly not on KFOG. Our snoozy rarity.

Dunno if it got played "back in the day," but I've certainly heard it on KFOG in the past few
years.  There was also a promotion with concert tickets, somewhere between two and six
years ago.  I can't pin it down any better than that.
"Your favorite songs, played beautifully"

Nate

• two bits
  • It's called "Internet"
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2013, 10:40:14 PM »
Listening to the replay. I like the Peter Gabriel (well Afro Celt) and Zero 7 tracks.

The term for what you hate about Nickelback is "yarling". It's when you use a long, affected "R" sound under every word.

http://www.endino.com/archive/yarl.html

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2013, 10:41:15 PM »
BOS Zero 7.  LOVE this entire album.  Great live, too.
Right on, brutha! This is the good kind of snooze. I love this whole genre (Zero 7, Air, Massive Attack sometimes, Stereolab sometimes). What would you call it? Space Age Bachelor Pad Music?

Uh, Esquivel has defined the "Space Age Bachelor Pad" genre so uniquely that I don't think that
label fits very well.  Zero 7 is generally regarded as "acid jazz" or "trip hop," and if you want to
get more specific, the mellow examples of those styles are known as "chill-out music."

Way back when I had Comcrap, they had an acid jazz music channel, where I heard Zero 7,
Ursula 1000, 4Hero, and the like.

dischead

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2013, 10:52:51 PM »
Dave Matthews Band "The Space Between"

Another band that I think gets undeservedly dissed on this board.  Sure, I can understand
that someone might not like them, particularly with the "sensitive new-age guy" aspect of
their songs.  But at least they are skilled musicians who know how to create music, as opposed
to some bands that simply make noise by banging on their instruments.  (I'm looking at you, White Stripes.)

radical347

• The Core
  • kiloposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 02, 2013, 09:19:22 AM »

Another band that I think gets undeservedly dissed on this board.  Sure, I can understand
that someone might not like them, particularly with the "sensitive new-age guy" aspect of
their songs.  But at least they are skilled musicians who know how to create music, as opposed
to some bands that simply make noise by banging on their instruments.  (I'm looking at you, White Stripes.)

In my mind DMB were ok up through said album, which was the beginning of their descent but still had a couple of decent tracks...The Space Between being one of them.  I blorf upon everything they've released since.  For the record, I don't love the White Stripes either (although their first album had a couple of good tracks), but Jack White's solo stuff is arguably 10 times more annoying.  J. White is a competent songwriter...when one of his songs is covered by someone who actually can sing, the result is usually pretty good (Onerepublic's remake of "Seven Nation Army" was impressive.)  That's also what made "I'm Shakin'" such a tragedy -- it's Jack White singing without Jack White songwriting, a reversal of nature.

Edit: I forgot about the 2002 DMB alum "Busted Stuff."  That one was good, and released post-Everyday, although most of the tracks were recorded pre-Everyday.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 12:25:25 PM by radical347 »

Big Fingers McGee

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 02, 2013, 09:08:18 PM »

In my mind DMB were ok up through said album, which was the beginning of their descent but still had a couple of decent tracks...The Space Between being one of them.  I blorf upon everything they've released since.  For the record, I don't love the White Stripes either (although their first album had a couple of good tracks), but Jack White's solo stuff is arguably 10 times more annoying.  J. White is a competent songwriter...when one of his songs is covered by someone who actually can sing, the result is usually pretty good (Onerepublic's remake of "Seven Nation Army" was impressive.)  That's also what made "I'm Shakin'" such a tragedy -- it's Jack White singing without Jack White songwriting, a reversal of nature.

Edit: I forgot about the 2002 DMB alum "Busted Stuff."  That one was good, and released post-Everyday, although most of the tracks were recorded pre-Everyday.

Yeah, it's hard to consider "Busted Stuff" as a true 2002 release. Sort of DMB's "Songs In The Attic". Would agree that marked their turning point.