Author Topic: 1 May 2006 -- a "classic" from 1980  (Read 9533 times)

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
1 May 2006 -- a "classic" from 1980
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2006, 10:34:52 AM »
BOS4, Biko. One of the most moving live tunes I think I've ever heard.
Let's get right to it.

Davefish

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2006, 10:35:38 AM »
Quote from: "mshray"
HOLY CRAP!!!  BOS, Best. Classic. EVER!

Gabriel's "Biko"

Yes indeed.  So is this the first time we've ever enjoyed a "classic"?  Feels like it.
"Play the tape machine, make the toast and tea"

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
that Classic feeling
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2006, 10:37:54 AM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
HOLY CRAP!!!  BOS, Best. Classic. EVER! Gabriel's "Biko"
Yes indeed.  So is this the first time we've ever enjoyed a "classic"?  Feels like it.

Even for an old fart, this has been an exemplary set.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2006, 10:38:50 AM »

Gabriel's "Biko"

Damn near. It's certainly the exception to the rule. Understandable when it seems like most classics are from 83 or later. (Mark, what data can you give us on that? What are the most common years for classic sets?)

ETA: Wow, and Dave let Biko play out to the very end of the track. Unheard of!
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2006, 10:45:08 AM »
Quote from: "urth"

Gabriel's "Biko"

Damn near. It's certainly the exception to the rule. Understandable when it seems like most classics are from 83 or later. (Mark, what data can you give us on that? What are the most common years for classic sets?)

ETA: Wow, and Dave let Biko play out to the very end of the track. Unheard of!

This MUST be an old one -- there was a 5-way tie (!) for BOS, which will screw up Big Rick's BOS replay this PM. Just a stellar Classic.

But it does seem that Classics tend to be '80s/'90s (especially when dave's only gone a day or 2), and we've joked before that Dave does it deliberately so that he doesn't have to hear Crowded House etc.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2006, 11:10:03 AM »
If I had a stereo in my truck, I would have gone outside & listen to this at full volume.  This song always chokes me up.  I studied a lot of So. African history & wrote a my Senior thesis paper about Steve Biko.

I would argue that this song was the tipping point in the ulitmate demise of Apartheid.  After he heard this song, Little Steven, who has not only Dutch ancestry but even some distaff cousins in So. Africa, went to see for himself what the situation was like.  He became radicalized & came back to organize the Sun City project.  Which was a key element in the radicalization of Bono & inspired U2 to take off and devote a year to Amnesty Int'l.  They did a concert on that tour which MTV televised, & (as Urth mentioned) it was probably the most awesome performance of a song I can remember.  And that gave immeasurable impetus to the whole divestment campaign which ultimately played a huge factor in pushing the government to abandon Apartheid, legalize the ANC, disband the 'Bantu homelands', release Nelson Mandela, and restore full human rights to blacks.
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2006, 11:47:58 AM »
Mark, what data can you give us on that? What are the most common years for classic sets?

Quote from: "RGMike"

But it does seem that Classics tend to be '80s/'90s (especially when dave's only gone a day or 2), and we've joked before that Dave does it deliberately so that he doesn't have to hear Crowded House etc.

Here's the data for the last 24 months, adding in the previous discontinuous parts of the archive stuff would weaken the statistical relevance.  

But first, there's No Way Dave tries to avoid playing or listening to Crowded House (I wish!).  It's quite the opposite.

That being said there are 48 year-specific classics* covering exactly 24 chart years over the last 24 months.  So we should've heard each year twice & it works out pretty close to that, at least in terms of Standard Deviation.

1968 - 2
1969 - 1
1970 - 0
1971 - 1
1972 - 2
1973 - 2
1974 - 2
1975 - 3
1976 - 4
1977 - 2
1978 - 1
1979 - 0
1980 - 3
1981 - 3
1982 - 3
1983 - 3
1984 - 1
1985 - 3
1986 - 0
1987 - 2
1988 - 3
1989 - 2
1990 - 3
1991 - 2

*there was also a classic Labor Day set & a classic Summer's Here set.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2006, 05:28:11 PM »
5/1/2006 - Monday...Today's 10@10 "Classic" is from...1980!!

1.  Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love  
2.  Pretenders - Up The Neck  
3.  Police - Voices Inside My Head  
4.  Stones - She's So Cold  
5.  Blondie - Atomic  
6.  Jimmy Buffett - Volcano  
7.  Talking Heads - Houses In Motion (BEST OF SET!!)  
8.  Stephanie Mills - Never Knew Love Like This Before  
9.  Tom Petty - Shadow Of A Doubt  
10.  Peter Gabriel - Biko  

BONUS TRACK:  Ramones - Rock & Roll High School
Let's get right to it.

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2006, 08:59:48 PM »
If I had a stereo in my truck, I would have gone outside & listen to this at full volume.  This song always chokes me up.  I studied a lot of So. African history & wrote a my Senior thesis paper about Steve Biko.

I would argue that this song was the tipping point in the ulitmate demise of Apartheid.  After he heard this song, Little Steven, who has not only Dutch ancestry but even some distaff cousins in So. Africa, went to see for himself what the situation was like.  He became radicalized & came back to organize the Sun City project.  Which was a key element in the radicalization of Bono & inspired U2 to take off and devote a year to Amnesty Int'l.  They did a concert on that tour which MTV televised, & (as Urth mentioned) it was probably the most awesome performance of a song I can remember.  And that gave immeasurable impetus to the whole divestment campaign which ultimately played a huge factor in pushing the government to abandon Apartheid, legalize the ANC, disband the 'Bantu homelands', release Nelson Mandela, and restore full human rights to blacks.

This is one of those moments where I ask you if you have literary ambitions.  This is *exactly* the kind of scholarship that the EMP rewards and that the music journalism world needs.  Not to mention the starving readerly public.

So seriously.  Do you want to think about writing something on this order for a music conference or a magazine like Believer or something like that?  I'd really love to see your encapsulations of history published.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
tipping point
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2006, 09:07:37 PM »

I'm not really disagreeing.  I think your points are well made.  On a musical note, one of the things I remember is that Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" caused a real big stir down in the township schools.  It might even have been banned at one point.  Does anyone else remember this?
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: tipping point
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2006, 08:37:45 AM »
Quote from: "ggould"

I'm not really disagreeing.  I think your points are well made.  On a musical note, one of the things I remember is that Pink Floyd's "Another Brick in the Wall" caused a real big stir down in the township schools.  It might even have been banned at one point.  Does anyone else remember this?

Good timing Geoff...

Daily Chronicle
for 05/02

a brief music history

05/02/1980
Pink Floyd's smash hit, 'Another Brick in the Wall', was banned in South Africa as it was felt it might encourage boycotts at black schools.

But the overreaction of the Nationalist government to a Pink Floyd song, while being indicative of the institutionalization of absolute paranoia engendered by apartheid, didn't really have any sort of ripple effect.  Besides, the townships schools had been in pretty continuous open revolt since 1976.  The students began those protests largely because of the influence of Biko & his "Black Consciousness" movement, which in 1977 led to him being arrested, and ultimately beaten to death in jail.  Which led to more protests.

The other half of this is that when Biko died and the government acted like it was no big deal, that was also part of the tipping point.  Biko had been nominated (although not a finalist) for the Nobel peace prize, and the reaction of many in the international diplomacy community, and in particular throughout the British Commonwealth, was that this was finally the sort of thing that couldn't be glossed over.  Every country, inclulding our own on many occasions, a has had rioting that led to massacres (for instance, this is less than 5 years after Wounded Knee), but arresting a guy on the Nobel short list & beating him to death in his cell, well that means you can't really call yourself a civilized country any more.

One of the many things I still hate Reagan for is that when Carter left he was quite a bit more than halfway through getting Mandela out of jail & getting the South Africans out of Namibia (which they had been illlegally occupying in much the same way Israel had no legal mandate for it's occuppied territories), but as soon as Reagan came into the Oval Office he reversed everything and began selling more arms to So. Africa, his excuse being that there were 500 Cubans in Angola.  He also began arming Jonas Savimbi, who had convinced the Republicans that he was a pro-democracy Angolan freedoom fighter (but who had convinced nearly every other Western diplomat who ever met him that he might just be the Devil incarnate. Literally!)  So thanks to Reagan, Namibia suffered under So. African rule for an extra decade, Angola plunged into a bloody civil war from which to this day it still hasn't recovered (Savimbi reneged on every peace deal he ever signed & finally died in combat in 2002), and the anit-apartheid movement was set back by about a decade as well.  

Hope he & Savimbi are enjoying their stay in hell.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2006, 09:43:31 AM »
Listening on the marathon replay & this set has been the highlight of the week.  Hard to believe one could ever say that about a an 80's classic, but there it is.

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2006, 12:36:14 PM »
BOS4, Biko. One of the most moving live tunes I think I've ever heard.

and one i can enjoy, too, even though it's meant to make me feel like slitting my wrists (or at least something akin to sadness) - as opposed to most of his other songs that aren't meant to, but do, just the same.