Author Topic: RIP Louie Bellson, drummer, 84  (Read 3280 times)

Wayback

• The Core
  • Heavy Duty
    • View Profile
RIP Louie Bellson, drummer, 84
« on: February 16, 2009, 09:05:34 PM »
Drum legend Louie Bellson, 84, was also married to Pearl Bailey:
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/02/16/entertainment/e195326S03.DTL&tsp=1

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Louie Bellson, drummer, 84
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 12:03:42 AM »
Man, that's a drag. I used to love seeing him sit in for Ed Shaughnessy in the Tonight Show Band, 'cause they'd always let the band do a number so Louie could show off his chops. And I'm amazed that he recorded his last album last year--incredible.

Interesting that they're burying him in his hometown of Moline, IL. Seems like he oughta be next to Pearlie Mae, but she's buried in West Chester, Pennsylvania according to her Wikipedia bio.
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 07:50:25 AM »
I'm trying to decide who should play him in the Pearl Bailey biopic (with Queen Latifah as Pealie Mae, of course).

« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 09:04:32 AM by RGMike »
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 08:45:04 AM »
Interesting that they're burying him in his hometown of Moline, IL. Seems like he oughta be next to Pearlie Mae, but she's buried in West Chester, Pennsylvania according to her Wikipedia bio.

He remarried after Pearl's death; presumably his wife of the past 16 years will be buried next to him when the time comes.  Is it gauche to be buried next to more than one of one's exes?
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »

He remarried after Pearl's death; presumably his wife of the past 16 years will be buried next to him when the time comes.  Is it gauche to be buried next to more than one of one's exes?

Not sure if it's gauche, but is it physically possible?  Would you bury half your remains with one & half with the other?
 ;) ;) ;)
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 10:06:25 AM »

Not sure if it's gauche, but is it physically possible?  Would you bury half your remains with one & half with the other?
 ;) ;) ;)

which is why cremation is always the way to go...

mshray

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 10:28:48 AM »

;) ;) ;)

which is why cremation is always the way to go...

If that conundrum wasn't part of an ep of Six Feet Under, it shoulda been!
"Music is the Earth, People are the Flowers, and I am the Hose."

--Carlos Santana, 2010

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:08:34 AM »
I'm trying to decide who should play him in the Pearl Bailey biopic (with Queen Latifah as Pealie Mae, of course).

How about Giovanni Ribisi?
I'm really saddened by this. Louie was a family friend (and the first person to teach me how to play drums). I'll have to call my Dad and yell at him for not telling me.

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:14:21 AM »
speaking of biopics, wouldn't Rainn Wilson make a great (young) Garrison Keillor?

urth

• Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 10:49:24 AM »

I'm really saddened by this. Louie was a family friend (and the first person to teach me how to play drums). I'll have to call my Dad and yell at him for not telling me.

Louie Bellson taught you how to play drums?!? Wow, that's amazing--a nice tidbit for your bio, whenever you get around to writing it. Did you know Pearl, too?
Let's get right to it.

princessofcairo

• The Core
  • Super Scribe
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2009, 10:59:23 AM »

Louie Bellson taught you how to play drums?!? Wow, that's amazing--a nice tidbit for your bio, whenever you get around to writing it. Did you know Pearl, too?

No, unfortunately I didn't meet him until after she died. My little sister was in the wedding (to the next wife, of course).
Still some time left to write the bio! I hope.