Author Topic: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/28/08  (Read 4225 times)

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
Re: CG/KPOO/KCDX etcetcetc for the week of 4/28/08
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2008, 03:49:09 PM »
Mercy sakes alive, we got us a "Convoy"! 10-4! Them hogs is gettin' IN-tense!
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2008, 03:59:26 PM »
this week's CG retro-countdown revolves around Tina Charles (who?), whose "I Love to Love" was #1 in March '76 --it did next to nothing on these shores. 

Turns out Ms. Charles was hooked up with Biddu of Biddu Orchestra fame, and was the voice on 5000 Volts' "I'm on Fire". And she sang backup on Cockney Rebel's "Come Up and See Me (Make Me Smile)"!Live'n'learn!

and she was also Trevor Horn's girlfriend, lived with him for several years. This was one of the more interesting background stories I've heard on these countdown shows.

urth

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2008, 11:57:13 AM »
Mike, did Little Steven memorialize Danny Federici after he died a couple weeks ago? I just tuned in to Vin Scelsa's 4/19 show and he led the show with a mention of his death, that went right into a live version Sandy (4th of July Asbury Park). It's posted for only a few more days (they keep Vin's shows up for two weeks after the original broadcast) so if you want to check it out, go here:
http://wfuv.streamguys.us/cgi-bin/colinker.cgi?colink=111773007810570

ETA: Sandy was followed by live renditions of Hungry Heart (from the Live 1975-85 set) and a gorgeous, bluesy, laid back E Street Shuffle recorded at Hammersmith in London in '75. (He didn't mention the source of 'Sandy' but I suspect it was a bootleg version from the Bottom Line run in 75.) That run of songs took up the first half hour of the show, and after a backsell and short break, Vin dips back into the Springsteen catalog with an r&b-drenched cover of Jimmy Cliff's Don't Look Back. Def worth listening to.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 12:25:03 PM by urth »
Let's get right to it.

RGMike

• Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2008, 12:23:07 PM »
Mike, did Little Steven memorialize Danny Federici after he died a couple weeks ago? I just tuned in to Vin Scelsa's 4/19 show and he led the show with a mention of his death, that went right into a live version Sandy (4th of July Asbury Park). It's posted for only a few more days (they keep Vin's shows up for two weeks after the original broadcast) so if you want to check it out, go here:
http://wfuv.streamguys.us/cgi-bin/colinker.cgi?colink=111773007810570

Thanks for the tip -- I'll check that out tomorrow (our streaming sucks today, it's an internal Kaiser problem which I hope will be solved by then).  Steven hasn't mentioned Danny afaik; but then he tapes his shows 2 or 3 weeks in advance.