Author Topic: 16 November 2007--it's...Clapping songs?!?  (Read 8414 times)

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
16 November 2007--it's...Clapping songs?!?
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2007, 10:24:25 PM »
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
« Reply #61 on: November 16, 2007, 10:35:36 PM »
Quote from: "Davefish"
VHM for Santa Esmeralda.  I remember this one.  Had never heard the Animals original.  The loooooong version.

I had never heard this disco version, I enjoyed the Joe Cocker version, but wasn't sure about the Animals being the 'original.'  If you believe Wikipedia, and most of the time I do, Nina Simone sang it first.
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

Gazoo

• The Core
  • Transcendent Typist
    • View Profile
Re: Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
« Reply #62 on: November 16, 2007, 10:49:16 PM »
Quote from: "ggould"
VHM for Santa Esmeralda.  I remember this one.  Had never heard the Animals original.  The loooooong version.

I had never heard this disco version, I enjoyed the Joe Cocker version, but wasn't sure about the Animals being the 'original.'  If you believe Wikipedia, and most of the time I do, Nina Simone sang it first.

Indeed, 'tis true, and Nina was pissed.  She thought the Animals' rendition kinda dumb.
“The choir of children sing their song.  They've practiced all year long.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.  Ding dong.”

ggould

• Administrator
  • Master Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ggould.com
Re: Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
« Reply #63 on: November 16, 2007, 10:59:58 PM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Quote from: "ggould"
Indeed, 'tis true, and Nina was pissed.  She thought the Animals' rendition kinda dumb.

Well, Nina's entitled to her opinion, but as time goes by, I think Eric Burdon's early work is holding up pretty well.  I just had me a little tour through 30-second samples in iTunes, and there's a lot of interesting versions.  The song holds up very well under many voices, and I guess even under Santa Esmerelda!
Don't stand in the way of LOVE!

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2007, 08:11:24 AM »
Quote from: "Gazoo"
Gazoo's YouTube Bonus Track:

Belle Stars, "The Clapping Song" on Top of the Pops

The Belle Stars were great! and totally overshadowed by Bananarama.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round

RGMike

• The Core
  • Eight Miles High
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2007, 09:14:19 AM »
"clap yo' hands and prepare to pat!"  If you'd told me last week that I'd hear Shirley Ellis 3 times in less than 24 hours I'd've said you were crazy.
You spin me right 'round, baby, right 'round